game prevents me from aiming at small planets in skirmish mode

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

game prevents me from aiming at small planets in skirmish mode

flfybnft
Recruit

Post by flfybnft » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:09 pm

I have this issue where the game will prevent me from aiming the reticle at little planets. It looks like I can hover the reticle over big planets. I have this issue on both computers, one running a GTX 1070 and Windows 10 1809, the other a Radeon R5 430 and Windows 10 1803. I have XWA Upgrade 1.6 installed on both but I'm pretty sure the base game was doing the same thing.
So far I have only tried the X-Wing in Skirmish mode so not sure if it's the game mode or the ship or the XWA upgrade. I will do some more testing when I get a chance.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:34 pm

I have experienced this from aiming at any sun or star. I don't believe this is related to the XWAUP or the Super Backdrop releases though.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:44 pm

You're probably talking about the "gimbal lock" problem. It's a fundamental mathematical limitation of the way the game engine represents craft orientation; you cannot aim your ship directly "up" or "down". The engine pushes your heading away when you get close to straight vertical. All iterations of the X-Wing game series have suffered this limitation - it's caused by neither the game mode nor the XWAUCP.

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:02 pm

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:44 pm
You're probably talking about the "gimbal lock" problem. It's a fundamental mathematical limitation of the way the game engine represents craft orientation; you cannot aim your ship directly "up" or "down". The engine pushes your heading away when you get close to straight vertical. All iterations of the X-Wing game series have suffered this limitation - it's caused by neither the game mode nor the XWAUCP.
Confirm. It since 1992 we fight with this. I have found that using the force feedback with minimum setting tend to minimize the problem, by the way.

flfybnft
Recruit

Post by flfybnft » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:33 pm

I attached an example picture. I cannot put my aiming reticle inside the red circle. The game will push my aiming reticle away from the planet. This is a random screenshot I found just to demonstrate my issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

flfybnft
Recruit

Post by flfybnft » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:27 am

After some more testing I've concluded that this happens only in Skirmish mode, in the base XWA and XWA Upgrade. I've tested using an X-wing, A-wing, and B-wing.
Someone test this and try to put your aiming reticle on a small backdrop planet like in the 2 attached screenshots. The game will pull your aiming away from the center of the planet or nebula.
This isn't a big deal but it is interesting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:17 am

The pushback to prevent gimbal lock isn't just straight up or down. There are certain spots that will push your craft away.

The developers knew this and decided to "mask" it by placing a backdrop at the "anti-gimbal lock" location.

As a user, there is nothing you can do about this. This is an engine thing that has been prevalent since X-Wing.

flfybnft
Recruit

Post by flfybnft » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:20 am

good to know, thank you for the answer.