[Solved] help getting X-Wing Conversion running

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Solved] help getting X-Wing Conversion running

NickAragua
Recruit

Post by NickAragua » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:28 am

Hi Folks

I found this place by doing some google searching based on a not-too-recent PC Gamer article.

Anyway, I'm trying to get this upgrade working with "Waylon's X-Wing Conversion" (the "X-Wing Conversion 4.0 + XvT rebel part for X-Wing Alliance" download), as I've a hankering to play some X-Wing missions with upgraded graphics.

I'm starting with a clean GoG install of X-Wing alliance. The game works fine at this point - loads up, missions load fine, etc.
Then, I apply the "X-wing alliance upgrade" from this site - the XWAUCP_v1.6.exe from the download section (by pointing to the XWA install directory and letting it do its business). The game continues to work fine at this point - loads initially, missions load and play fine (updated ship graphics are beautiful by the way).
Next, I apply the 4.0 version of the X-Wing conversion. At this point, the game CTDs every time I launch into a mission.

Other relevant details:
Win10, x64, Radeon R9 200 graphics card
1440x900 resolution max (yeah, yeah, I know)
I've also attempted to apply the xwhacker included with the X-Wing conversion to replace one of the default resolutions with my monitor resolution (e.g. xwahacker xwingalliance.exe -r 3 1400 900), and I get a CTD every time, and to use the XWingAlliance executable that results from the XWAUCP installation, both with the same result.

I realize that this isn't really the site for the X-Wing conversion, but that site does not have any forums or means to contact the creator. I'm hoping there's something simple I'm missing, like "don't overwrite file X", or perhaps someone has gotten that X-Wing conversion working and there's a step I'm missing in the setup process that wasn't explained in the conversion's readme.

Thanks for your work on this, the ships look really good.
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved issue

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:55 am

Hello,

Waylon's X-Wing Conversion is not yet compatible with XWAUCP v1.6.

In the meantime, you can try that:
See viewtopic.php?p=163441#p163441

NickAragua
Recruit

Post by NickAragua » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:44 pm

Thanks, following those instructions did the trick!