Dynamic Tie Fighter Cockpits not working

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Dynamic Tie Fighter Cockpits not working

Schoober
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Schoober » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:33 pm

Hello. I am currently attempting to install dynamic Tie Fighter cockpits.

I currently have installed Blue_Max's effects and his most recently updated VR mod files, which work fine.

I also have dynamic rebel cockpits installed, which are functional

i do not have the craft pack installed as to maintain as fast performance as possible.

Installing the Tie Fighter cockpits gives a successful installation, but do not appear in game.

does the Tie Fighter cockpit pack have any dependencies with XWACP or others?

Thanks

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:45 pm

I would say nearly everything has connections to the XWAUCP.
The other installers are designed to be installed after it and not before.
You will also have to update Hooks if you have not installed new craft.

I'm not saying it won't work without the main Pack but it could cause you a lot of issues.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Schoober
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Schoober » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:07 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:45 pm

I'm not saying it won't work without the main Pack but it could cause you a lot of issues.
I have the hook update run as well, the only thing i don't have is XWAUCP.

If it's necessary to have that's kind of a bummer given what poor performance i was getting with it running, but it is what it is i suppose.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:12 pm

I'm a bit perplexed that you got anything running without XWAUCP 1.6. If you have low performance after installing XWAUPC, then you may need to enable ProcessAffinityCore=0 and then install the music freeze hook as well.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:14 pm

Schoober wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:07 pm
Ace Antilles wrote:

If it's necessary to have that's kind of a bummer given what poor performance i was getting with it running, but it is what it is i suppose.
If you have everything installed and the latest EffectsByBlueMax_v1.1.3.2 with the Multicore option installed by default now then you should have a good FPS.
Obviously that depends on your own PC setup and how high you have effects set etc.
There are topics around for helping with FPS if you are having issues. The XWAUCP is the whole point of this site really. Without it you don't get the full upgrade experience.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:25 am

Schoober wrote:
Ace Antilles wrote:

Okay, I'm gonna just go ahead and state that you need to install the main pack as that is the only way to have a reasonable amount of certainty of having things install properly and have things run correctly going forward. As Ace stated the craft pack is the core that we are working from and things frankly aren't going to work as intended if you're installing the individual installers or leaving out core functions incidental to a haphazard install process of picking and choosing what you want to install.

Don't get me wrong it's not just you, we are finding that people are not following directions when downloading and installing things and experiencing bugs due to either improper install order, or omission of things that are needed for features and base game functions to work as they are intended to.

TL;DR Do not install via the single installers; use the craft pack and only use individual installers that are marked "NEW" or are otherwise instructed to.

This may not seem helpful but bottom line is that if you are getting poor performance then that is unfortunately something related to your system hardware being unable to keep up with the changes, and possibly whether or not the multi-core processing function is enabled is likely affecting this further. If this is the case then realistically you need to either upgrade your system, tweak your system settings, or forgo using the updates. But if you aren't following our install instructions then that could very well be the main issue with your performance too as the game files aren't configured properly.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:09 am

Driftwood wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:25 am
This may not seem helpful but bottom line is that if you are getting poor performance then that is unfortunately something related to your system hardware being unable to keep up with the changes, and possibly whether or not the multi-core processing function is enabled is likely affecting this further. If this is the case then realistically you need to either upgrade your system, tweak your system settings, or forgo using the updates. But if you aren't following our install instructions then that could very well be the main issue with your performance too as the game files aren't configured properly.
Well, to be perfectly fair right now it's all a bit of a mess and the installation instructions are really not that clear cut.
Schoober wrote:

Would you be so kind as to share your system specs and if you have the ProcessAffinityCore=0 option enabled? With that performance really shouldn't be much of an issue. Though I am afraid with all the new technologies we have discovered the XWAU is becoming more and more HW intensive.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Schoober
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Schoober » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:24 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:09 am
Driftwood wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:25 am
Well, to be perfectly fair right now it's all a bit of a mess and the installation instructions are really not that clear cut.
Schoober wrote:

Would you be so kind as to share your system specs and if you have the ProcessAffinityCore=0 option enabled? With that performance really shouldn't be much of an issue. Though I am afraid with all the new technologies we have discovered the XWAU is becoming more and more HW intensive.
With processaffinitycore=0, i am runnng an i9-9700k @ 4.6 ghz, GTX 1070, 32 gbs of RAM.

As a baseline, the biggest hits to performance naturally occur when there's a lot on screen. I recently played BATTLE 3: Over the Fence - Mission 1: Liberate Slave Convoy, and while looking towards the ISD, framerate took a very noticeable hit, while looking towards the defense platform and the rest of the convoy did not.

When i played without the Craft Pack, i didn't notice nearly as much frame drop in either case.

I've disabled as many of the effects as possible including SSAO, bloom, lens flare, dynamic lighting etc.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:44 pm

That is really weird because I have very similar system but with an i5 and a rtx 2070 and 32gb Ram also.

How big of a frame drop are you talking? If you're over 30fps I'd say (opinion) being overly critical since there shouldn't be much visual drop since the human eye can't perceive anything over 30fps. If you're under 30 but above 20 fps then obviously that's not ideal if its constant.

I do believe though that if you've pick and chose what you install this is also very likely negatively impacting your experience.

Maybe copy your backup vanilla XWA folder and install the pack and only the installers marked new over that and compare results?

Drivers all up to date? Any high resource applications running in the background? Antivirus throttling things without knowing it?

Schoober
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Schoober » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:02 pm

Driftwood wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:44 pm
the human eye can't perceive anything over 30fps. If you're under 30 but above 20 fps then obviously that's not ideal if its constant.
First off, there is absolutely no truth to that statement.

Secondly, keep in mind this is being played using Blue Max's virtual reality mod which both increases performance demands with a higher FOV and a double render scene (1 per eye), and also requires a higher consistent FPS to maintain a smooth experience. I'd say VR demands at LEAST 75 fps consistently to be manageable, but Blue's mod can get away with 60 as long as it's a consistent 60.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:33 pm

So you are using VR headset. Okay, well that makes sense then. I have head tracking but not VR so I cant unfortunately help troubleshoot that part, but as you said it requires more resources to function. I heard to obtain ideal performance is twice what the game you're trying to run in VR's requirements.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:58 pm

There's always going to be a bit of a performance hit when there's lots of things on the screen. If you want to see a baseline comparison, you can install Jeremy's ddraw and see what's the top performance there. That's the cap that can't be exceeded in VR. If the FPS is around 30 using Jeremy's ddraw, then it can't be higher than that in VR.

I suggest that you lower down the SteamVR resolution a little bit (set it around 50-60%) and disable the TextRenderer ("Text2DRendererEnabled = 0" in DDraw.cfg). Those two guys are have the biggest impact in performance. You can also see this thread for more performance tips:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12490