Problem with two copes of XWA

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Problem with two copes of XWA

wbrooks003
Recruit

Post by wbrooks003 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:27 am

Hi All - Somewhat of a random question. I happen to have two copies of XWA because I had a GOG version and then ended up picking it up again in Steam more recently as it was thrown in with some other Star Wars games in a bundle. I have recently found your community and was so impressed with the mods that I decided to install a number of the upgrades on my Steam version to play around with it.

I noticed something odd when I went to go back and play my original GOG save file. Once I installed the Steam version, going back into GOG and launching the XWA Launcher through GOG brings me into the modified version of the game I have installed via Steam. I checked the shortcuts and the file paths and I am launching the launcher executable from the GOG folder, but for whatever reason the launcher only shows the pilots I created on the Steam version. Also, going to click play game actually launches the Steam version of XWA. It is the strangest thing.

If I go and verify the files in GOG, it will reinstall a couple of the config files and then once again allow me to launch my original game, but once I use the Steam version again, it reverts back ti the problem above and somehow the launcher once again only runs the Steam game despite loading it from the GOG directory.

Obviously, I can load the XWA executable directly and take the launcher out of the equation, but more curious if anyone with multiple versions has experienced this and understands what might be causing that problem.

Thanks

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:51 am

The launcher reads the windows registry to find where the game is installed as far as I know. So it will launch the version that has been installed last no matter where the launcher itself is located.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project