Trying to get VR working with Oculus S

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Trying to get VR working with Oculus S

hyrad
Recruit

Post by hyrad » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:00 pm

Hiya all, this is driving me nuts and there's not a lot of info I could find on it. My issue is that when trying to play the game through Steam VR, both the Oculus app and Steam VR fire up properly, and the game starts in Steam VR. However I only get sound, no image, while I get a 'next up' message stuck on screen in Steam VR view. Sometimes I will get a message telling me that my headset is not connected to the correct 3D accelerated card and I can confirm that by looking in video preferences the integrated graphic card is selected, not my GTX 1060. I have tried to copy the files from ddraw_d3d to no avail.

The next thing I tried was changing VR mode to DirectSBS vr through Virtual desktop through the Oculus. Here, I'm able to get to launch a mission and get to the hangar, but when the ship leaves the port the game crashes.

I don't want to give up, I am a huge Xwing Fan but have never tried Alliance. So I am curious as if anyone has any experience with getting the Occulus S to work with Effects by Blue Max's Version 1.1.4 ?

Thanks for any help!
- Jeff

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:15 pm

hyrad wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:00 pm
I'm able to get to launch a mission and get to the hangar, but when the ship leaves the port the game crashes.
This sounds like a problem in the configuration of hook_d3d.dll. Have you tried running the game with the effects but no VR at all to see if that crashes as well? Have you tried using Jeremy's ddraw to see if that fixes the problem?

If you have a hooks.ini file, then open it and make sure you have "IsHookD3DEnabled = 1". Also check that your hook_d3d.cfg has the same setting.

Can you post a crash report of the problem?

hyrad
Recruit

Post by hyrad » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:32 pm

Wow, thanks for the quick answer! I will follow your suggestions and post back. In the meantime, I have started the game again in steam vr mode and I have noticed that head tracking works. With Steam VR, it really is an issue of the game trying to render through the integrated graphics card instead of the GTX for VR.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:51 pm

Hello,

You can try selecting "high performance nvidia graphics processor" from the "run with graphics processor" context menu when you launch the game.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:09 pm

In addition to what Jeremy said, and assuming you've got an nVidia card, then you can open nVidia's Control Panel by right-clicking on an empty area of your desktop, and then you can add xwingalliance.exe as a new profile. In the new profile, you can force the game to run on the right (nVidia) GPU every time.

hyrad
Recruit

Post by hyrad » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:00 am

Thanks guys for all of these pointers. Can’t wait to put daughter to sleep so I can try it :) Will report back on how it went.

hyrad
Recruit

Post by hyrad » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:43 am

Ok I was able to get it to work based on your suggestions. The final thing that did it was forcing the graphic card to NVIDIA. This is great :) Going through Steam VR feels more immersive, since Virtual Desktop on the Oculus seems to be just a lower resolution virtual rounded screen, not the full 360 degree experience you get from Steam Theatre. The only issue left on the Steam side is some really bad jittering both in the menus and inside the cockpit and big frame rate drops when the action gets intense lol. I don’t want to sidetrack this thread so I will look through the forums, it seems there are a lot of posts on that.

So thanks again, this part of the problem is solved :)

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:09 am

Jittering is usually caused by low performance. I'd start by lowering the resolution of SteamVR and disabling the Active Cockpit. You can also take a look here:

https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 36&t=12490

https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 36&t=12827

hyrad
Recruit

Post by hyrad » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:08 pm

Thanks for the links, I’ll check them out !