Question regarding V-sync and refresh rate

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Question regarding V-sync and refresh rate

Thiddy
Recruit

Post by Thiddy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:40 pm

First let me say how much i appreciate the work the team has put into this.

It's an astonishing achievement. I bought the game when it first released and my hardware at the time wasn't up to the task. But today, with a 2080Ti, i7 8700k, 32 GB RAM and an NVme SSD i can properly give your upgrade the platform it deserves!

I've got my HOTAS merged as one device and my Sidewinder FF2 is working wonderfully. I am so so excited to really dig into this. Even as Star Wars Squadrons sits in my library (and i have a Rift S and that game is sweet in VR), i find myself more excited to play XWAU - must be the nostalgia factor!

I have one question regarding frame rates, V-sync and possibly resolution. I have run the game on a g-sync ultrawide monitor @3440X1440 / 100hz and on my TV at 2560 X 1440 @ 60hz. I often switch between the two, depending on the night of the week.

My question is - have you guys found a ideal sweet spot and combination of resolution and refresh rate, and also settings ie: limiting FPS, v-sync on in control panel or in the game .cfg ? The game seems to be solid at 56-59 FPS and looks amazing (also running reshade). The ONLY tiny issue i seem to be having across all setups is the targeting box on craft that are far away seems to jitter a bit. They appear jerky a little jerky or they have a 'ghost' sometimes. This isn't the case when up close.

There are so many combinations of settings and hooks and options and .cfg's that it's been difficult to trouble shoot the issue.
EDIT - seems to be most happening when PADLOCK is being used. Target reticle is pretty stable otherwise.

Thanks in advance and once again - amazing job.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:58 pm

If your monitor is running above 60Hz you may experience problems when taking off from the hangar. I _think_ the latest hooks automatically limit the FPS to 60 in that area, so you probably won't see the problem anymore. Other than that, it's really up to you. I don't see any tearing so I run with VSync disabled, but it looks like others have that problem.

There are two resolution settings: the in-game resolution and your desktop's resolution. The in-game resolution has very little effect on performance, but it will affect the size of the text and other elements. I tend to set the in-game resolution to either 1280x1024 or 1920x1080.

Your desktop resolution will have an impact on performance. My laptop can do 3280x2160, but when I run this game in VR, I lower it down to 1920x1080 to get the best possible performance.

The jittering issue you're describing might be a limitation in XWA's engine itself. Have you tried using the standard (Jeremy's) ddraw.dll to see if you still see the problem? This game tends to make a few polygons jitter a little bit in some areas. There isn't much we can do about it at the moment.