STILL HAVE Multiplayer Woes with XWA! HELP!!!

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

STILL HAVE Multiplayer Woes with XWA! HELP!!!

Ladyhawk
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Ladyhawk » Thu Nov 23, 2000 7:10 am

Hi,<P>Well, I got my monitor back and disabled 3D sound, uninstalled SyGate and tried to clean up the entries it made to my network settings, but the darn thing still doesn't work!!!! Reference: <A HREF="http://www.xwaupgrade.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000006.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.xwaupgrade.com/ubb/Forum11/H ... 06.html</A> .<P><BR>The only thing I can think of is that perhaps SyGate installed something that is causing a problem. SyGate is a program that allows more than one computer to access the same internet connection. As I mentioned above, I've tried uninstalling SyGate and tidying up any entries it made under network settings, then launching multiplayer XWA, but that didn't work. Do you know if it perhaps could have changed something I'm not aware of? I probably can't ask SyGate for help because it was a shareware package that expired...yet even when I uninstalled it I noticed it left gateway and DHCP information in my network settings. I fixed that, but I'm wondering what else SyGate could have left...<BR><P>------------------<BR>--<P>|_/\|)`/|-|/\\/\/|<<P>--<BR>-I always start what I finish.
]_ /\ ]) `/ ]-[ /\ \/\/ ]<<P>I always start what I finish.

Ladyhawk
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Ladyhawk » Sun Nov 26, 2000 3:00 am

Well,<P>I did an uninstall and reinstall (again!) of XWA and at one point I had it working. But at some point between adding the 2.02 patch and NCA and XWA Upgrade, everything fell apart again and I'm pissed off beyond all reason. Image Image Image Image Image Image<P>What I did was this: I unoverclocked the PCs, disabled read-ahead on the CD-ROMs and set the supplemental cache size to small, uninstalled XWA and deleted the folder, searched the registries and threw out anything suspicious-looking. Then I reinstalled the game on both PCs (there's a third, but I didn't involve it in this experiment) using the original CD (not a back-up copy I'd used before). I tested networking after installing version 1.0 and everything was fine. I tested networking after installing version 2.02 and everything was fine. I was getting really excited and (stupidly) thought I'd finally fixed the problem. I installed the custom skirmishes I'd saved and still everything was fine. I re-overclocked the PCs and still everything was fine.<P>Feeling proud of myself and full of misplaced confidence, I spent half the night downloading ship models and installing NCA and XWA Upgrade. I installed them on both PCs, tried a network game and nearly fainted when the old problem cropped up again. DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!<P>Anyone have any ideas????<P>------------------<BR>--<P>|_/\|)`/|-|/\\/\/|<<P>--<BR>-I always start what I finish.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sun Nov 26, 2000 7:54 am

Mhm... this is really strange. I really don't know what could cause this problem, though I heard about troubles with XWAU and Mulitplayer before...<P>Seems this confirms that rumour... strange, anybody having any ideas?<P>------------------<BR>Murphy was an optimist!<BR><B>I</B> am a pessimist!<BR>Webmaster of the <A HREF="http://www.xwaupgrade.com" TARGET=_blank>X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project</A>
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Ladyhawk
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Ladyhawk » Sun Nov 26, 2000 6:06 pm

Actually this problem pre-dated my awareness of XWAU, so I don't know if you can blame NCA or XWAU. I believe there is some software issue causing this, but I don't know what it could be.<P>It is MOST annoying.<P>You should NOT get high latency over a LAN.<P>------------------<BR>--<P>|_/\|)`/|-|/\\/\/|<<P>--<BR>-I always start what I finish.