INFO: Common graphic problems with XWA

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Re: INFO: Common graphic problems with XWA

sith
Cadet 4th Class

Post by sith » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:22 pm

Reimar wrote:
sith wrote:Well I got a small problem: when a mission is loading the quick objectives and menu in mission are looking like this:
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/5305/hmmsi.jpg
I can play with that, but If You have some solution, I will be pleased : ))
This is a side effect of using xwahacker to switch to using 32 bit mode. If you want/need that, it is not really avoidable.
To disable this 32 bit mode just use the 16bitmode.bat ?

What difference is between 32 and 16 bit mode ?

subcog
Recruit

Post by subcog » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:17 pm

It's not working for me. I ran the fixedclear.bat, and I'm still getting triangle fragments floating in space.

I'm running a radeon 5770 with the newest drivers.

Any ideas?

edit: turned off antialiasing, and now its working. Only now I have the black boxes problem. Will keep working on it.

edit: got it working because of this post:
WildstarBlue9 wrote:Someone on one of my other forums solved the black squares in 3D acceleration problem (and it may solve other problems as well) by downloading ddraw.dll (the DirectDraw support file from earlier versions of DirectX) and placing it in the same folder as the game's executable (it should work for every Windows game in the series). http://www.jkhub.net/project/get.php?id=1804 should take you to the download. :)

VPR
Cadet 1st Class

Post by VPR » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:41 pm

Yeah this seems to have fixed the corruption I was getting in XvT/BoP when firing at or selecting targets directly in front of planet bitmaps. XWA hasn't shown this problem for me so far and I'm on a Radeon 5770 as well.

Rebel_Terrorist
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Rebel_Terrorist » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:09 am

I don't have any problems with X-wing, and thanks to Reimar's fix I don't have problems with Alliance either. But now I tried to play TIE-fighter 95 (with the XP compatibility patch applied) and when I target something the cockpit get all glitched up, and most of the 3d objects in space disappear, but not the target on the MFD (hmmm... sounds familiar?).

I tried using the ddraw.dll, but when I targeted something I got a BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH :hangman:

---end of important stuff---

Seriously, there's a curse between these games and I!!! My first computer freezed almost every time I tried to ran alliance, then when I got a faster computer the disc broke up, then when I found a new disk my joystick broke up, then when I bought a new joystick the disk broke up again, then when I found another disk the freaking graphics cards were not compatible with the game!!! :explodieren:
When new cards came out, all of us asked "yeah, but can it run crysis?". If I had knew that the answer was "it runs crysis, but in exchange it doesn't run anything else" I would've set crysis to screw itself.

Rebel_Terrorist
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Rebel_Terrorist » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:20 am

Here goes a list of problems I've had with the X-wing games.

X-Wing 95
  • Missing target box
  • Now it seems to run well... so far...
Tie-fighter 95
  • It ran well for a time, but now... incredibly, it DIDN'T had the missing target box problem!
  • Everytime something is drawn on the target MFD, the cockpit glitches up and the objects disappear
X-Wing alliance (I don't have XvT)
  • It ran well with my old Radeon 9550
  • All the polygons had a corner on the top left corner of the screen with my Radeon X1650
  • The black squares with my Radeon HD2600XT
  • Missing target box with my GeForce 8600GT
  • And finally, disappearing objects with the 8600 and my new GeForce GTS250
Have I beated any record? :explodieren:

Gigaknight
Recruit

Post by Gigaknight » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:36 pm

Gigaknight wrote:Greetings, all--I, too, am new. I also need help. lol But I'm sure you figured that much.

Before yesterday, I ran X-Wing Alliance just fine on my computer--a Dell Dimension 3000 with specs as follows:

Intel Celeron 2.66 GHz
Windows XP Home SP3
2 GB RAM
Intel 82865G Graphics Controller (integrated graphics)
DirectX 9.0c

Yesterday was when my new graphics card, a PNY Verto GeForce 8400 GS (512 MB) arrived in the mail. In the evening, I installed it. All my games worked better...except--to my GREAT dismay--X-Wing Alliance. For some reason, and starting with the company logos after the game's launch, any 2D animation gets these lines over them. They're hard to accurately describe, so I've taken screenshots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/ ... AError.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/ ... Error2.png

They only show up on moving images. The cockpit is much worse, being covered with horizontal black lines, stacked in an orderly fashion across most of the screen.

I've spent hours trying to find a solution to this problem, but either no one's had to deal with this problem, or I'm just not using the proper search terms.

So I've turned to you all. I really do hope you can help me.
I'm sure I haven't come near your record, R_T, but I still need help. XD

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:36 am

sith wrote:To disable this 32 bit mode just use the 16bitmode.bat ?
Yes.
sith wrote:What difference is between 32 and 16 bit mode ?
32-bit mode should give slightly better image quality, but the major difference is that anti-aliasing and possibly other "advanced" features with most (all?) graphics cards only work in 32-bit mode.

Gigaknight
Recruit

Post by Gigaknight » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:19 pm

No other suggestions/opinions/solutions? :\

sith
Cadet 4th Class

Post by sith » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:51 pm

Thx Reimar !

sith
Cadet 4th Class

Post by sith » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:18 pm

Is there any file fixing fonts for ATI cards ?

Rebel_Terrorist
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Rebel_Terrorist » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:08 pm

sith wrote:Is there any file fixing fonts for ATI cards ?
Yes, in fact thats the only official fix published by lucasarts. Just google "X-wing alliance fonts fix"

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:54 pm

R_T, all of the font fixes fixed the problem w/ nVidia cards, but I guess this problem for ATI cards is new.
Wildstar, Red 2 (XO) (Ret.)

Not the Wildstar that authored IMCGen.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:28 pm

look like a new issue with GTX 4** cards

screen are so garbled that it is impossible to play except when in software mode, and yes i tried with and without reimar patch

will try to get a screenshot

and my specs :
Mobo : Asus Rampage III Extreme
GPU : EVGA 460 GTX
CPU : Core i7 920
game is installed on Windows XP 32-bit (i have a dual boot with win 7, will try on win 7 later)

EDIT : scratch it. for some reason it work fine under Win7 64-bit
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Dragon
XWAU Member

Post by Dragon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:50 pm

Rookie_One1 wrote:look like a new issue with GTX 4** cards

screen are so garbled that it is impossible to play except when in software mode, and yes i tried with and without reimar patch

will try to get a screenshot

and my specs :
Mobo : Asus Rampage III Extreme
GPU : EVGA 460 GTX
CPU : Core i7 920
game is installed on Windows XP 32-bit (i have a dual boot with win 7, will try on win 7 later)
I have a Gigabyte 460 GTX on a Win 7 64 Bit system and no problems with XWA. Did you use the 16 or 32 Bit verion of Reimars patch?
Every story has four sides to it: yours, the others, the truth and what really happend.
"You have failed me for the last time, Admiral."

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:44 am

i used both tried both versions of the patch and without, in any case it works fine under windows 7 64-bit for a reason i don't quite understand while it doesnt under XP,,,, :?

ah well..
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Diastrom
Recruit

Post by Diastrom » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:25 pm

Is anybody successfully running XWA with windows 7 through parallels on a macbook pro? If so, please respond on how you got it to run after you installed it!

Mackem
Recruit

Post by Mackem » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:30 pm

Hi All,

I have a Tie Fighter 95 graphics problem. I'd really appreciate some advice . . .
I can launch the tie95 game. On missions everything seems to work fine -but- all other parts of the game (start up screens, space station, mission briefings, etc) the graphics are 'orrible. See links for screenshots.
The mouse uses the entire screen, so buttons are in different positions to those displayed.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g38 ... screen.png
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g38 ... screen.png

My setup:
Windows 7 64-bit
ATI Radeon HD3650
Monitor resolution 1680x1050

In trying to get the game to work, I've done the following:
1) Used Markus Egger's MSI setup to create and use a new install disk.
2) Patched with Craig Perry's Tie 95 Compatibility fix
3) Used Reimer's xwahacker file to apply "tie95fixedclear.bat" (checked and can see the update successfully applied to hex values in tie95.exe)
4) Installed the latest video drivers for my HD3650

I've also trawled through this and several other message boards . . . I'm not being lazy, honest ;)

Anyone seen this problem before?

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:04 am

Mackem, here's what you do:

Call up the Windows Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL should give you a menu where you can choose to go to it), go to your processes list, and end the process named "explorer.exe"

Still in Task Manager, do either a "File>Run" or a "File>New Task" (not sure which one), browse to the game's executable, and confirm the dialog once it's entered in the box

After you're done playing, do another "File>Run" (or whatever you need) from Task Manager and enter "explorer.exe" (without the quotes) to get your desktop back

You need to do this because they changed the API calls, particularly the one that hides the Taskbar, in Windows 7 and the older games don't use the new API calls. :)

Mackem
Recruit

Post by Mackem » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:35 pm

Cheers WSB9! Really appreciate you taking the time and trouble to respond on this.
I'll try your suggestion when I get home from work tonight.

Mackem
Recruit

Post by Mackem » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi WildStarBlue9,

I Killed explorer.exe (definitely worked because my desktop disappeared) but on launching the game - tiestart.exe via File / New Task - I found the graphics problem remained.

Thanks for trying though!

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:47 pm

Hey Mackem...someone else had posted that that solved the color problem, but it may not work for everyone *shrug*

Leaph
Recruit

Post by Leaph » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:42 pm

Hi,

I've followed Reimar's instructions and used the files he created which helped me out with screen resolution and font but I still have no yellow target brackets showing up. I had this problem before but I know I fixed it somehow by following advice here... I just can't find it now. I have an NVIDIA 9600 card. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'll trawl through the forums again but I can't look for seeing...

I'm sure that last time I had to replace a certain file or something like that...

Thanks.

Oh, it's XWA I'm playing too...

Diastrom
Recruit

Post by Diastrom » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:23 pm

Diastrom wrote:Is anybody successfully running XWA with windows 7 through parallels on a macbook pro? If so, please respond on how you got it to run after you installed it!
Survey says: For anyone operating windows through a virtual machine with parallels on their mac, 3D acceleration is not supported. There is no way for parallels to access the 3D hardware and instead it makes use of a "software" display adapter. As I must accept, if you're into gaming, don't buy a mac!

However, it is possible to play XvT on parallels as long as you disable the 3d acceleration. I haven't tried TIE95 yet but I assume that it would work.

Diastrom
Recruit

Post by Diastrom » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:44 am

Diastrom wrote:
Diastrom wrote:Is anybody successfully running XWA with windows 7 through parallels on a macbook pro? If so, please respond on how you got it to run after you installed it!
Survey says: For anyone operating windows through a virtual machine with parallels on their mac, 3D acceleration is not supported. There is no way for parallels to access the 3D hardware and instead it makes use of a "software" display adapter. As I must accept, if you're into gaming, don't buy a mac!

However, it is possible to play XvT on parallels as long as you disable the 3d acceleration. I haven't tried TIE95 yet but I assume that it would work.
OK, I stand corrected. The Mac pulled through. I was unaware that Boot Camp allows for the full operation of windows 7 on its intel systems. I dunno about xwa yet (cuz I left the installation disk at work) but I just got XVT to work VERY well on my mac with the Balance of Power install. Instead of parallels, which is a virtual machine incapable of 3d acceleration for older games, I used boot camp. Boot camp allows for all of my mac's hardware use, including my nvidia graphix card. Hooray! Wish I'd look into that first. Parallels support were very cool about giving me a refund so I lucked out big time!

Sorry this is taking up space, but its a good learning point for Mac users needing a TIE fix. Especially because LA is too interested in releasing crappy console games instead of quality ones that gave them a good name.

Seagulls
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Seagulls » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Yep, I'm running Windows XP bootcamped, and XvT works fairly well so far. There are a couple of separate graphics issues, but I'm happy with it.

I'm sure that I have 3D hardware enabled in XvT.

Sorry for the late post...
Seagulls
Red 6
CRS Morning Star: Home of Red Squadron

"Now you're using that misfiring hunk of erratic machinery you refer to as a brain"-Ton Phanan. Pilot, Wit, Superior Intellect.