INFO: Common graphic problems with XWA

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Re: INFO: Common graphic problems with XWA

Sandking
Recruit

Post by Sandking » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:06 am

Reimar wrote:Ok, that was a horrible experience but I have a solution for ATI cards. I doubt it helps the NVidia users out there though.
I have to wonder what compiler they used for XWA, the code is horribly inefficient, a simple recompile with a modern compiler would probably halve the size of the binary.
Anyway, the issue was indeed due to the Z-Buffer, and it is a ATI driver bug: the IDirectDrawSurface::Blt funtion is broken when used on the Z-Buffer with DDBLT_DEPTHFILL, somehow the Z-Buffer gets only partially filled. If you have more confidence in ATI's software department than I do I'd recommend to send them a bug report.
The solution is to use instead the Direct3D7 function IDirect3DViewPort::Clear2 function.
Note that XWA only requests (I think) Direct3D 1, so if you are unlucky it might just crash on some Windows versions, but it worked for me on Windows XP x64.
To use ViewPort::Clear2 to clear Z-Buffer you have to make these changes to the xwingalliance.exe (tested with 2.02):
at offset 0x1973ce (0x597fce in memory):
Pattern from: c7 45 ec ff ff 00 00
to: c7 45 ec 00 00 80 3f
at offset 0x197410 (0x598010 in memory):
Pattern from: 50 68 00 00 00 03 6a 00 6a 00 8d 4d 88 51 8b 15 a4 e7 b0 00 52 a1 a4 e7 b0 00 8b 08 ff 51 14
to: 90 6a 00 ff 75 ec 6a 00 6a 02 8d 4d 88 51 90 90 90 90 6a 01 a1 bc 15 7b 00 50 8b 08 ff 51 50
Thanks very much Reimar! I have dual NVidia GeForce 9800GT's and was having a clipping problem-- if backdrop was on, whenever the view was pointed toward a backdrop image all the foreground graphics would disappear (cockpit window frame, hanger deck, etc). Even with backdrop turned off there was a problem because apparently there are still some backdrop type objects that remain (like the star for the system I was at in my test mission) that would clip the foreground away when you pointed at them.

I tried everything I could think of-- turned all AA off, Mip mapping, cranked the NVidia card options all off for xwingalliance.exe... (v2.02)... but nothing helped.

So on the outside chance your fix to switch the D3D function would help, I tried it. The hex change was the magic bullet... the game seems to be working like it used to on my older PC. You are a wizard, Thanks again!

Running XP Professional Version 2002 - Service Pack 3, with Direct X 9.0c

Rebel_Terrorist
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Rebel_Terrorist » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:42 pm

Well... i just checked the nvidia forums and it looks like the map's axis are not the problem at all. Its really because on each axis of the map, there's a backdrop object.
The problem only appears when you have something locked on (even if you're in external view) and you look at something in the backdrop. The worst thing is that the numpad 0 key trick only works in the simulator, not in tour missions :kopfwand:
This is the father of the weird bugs... but just as one guy in the foum said, nVidia has hordes of Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3 players on their backs, they no longer need us to make money. Why should they release a fix then? :zensur:
Too bad my last ATI card was so problematic i'm not thinking about buying a nVidia card never again...

guru_redeye
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by guru_redeye » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:51 am

An addition to the ATI thread. A moderator/admin on AMD games forums (it's known that AMD and ATI are "coupled" now) has given the following answer to the Xwing Alliance - ATI conflict issue:
The XWA game issue is down to the later cards not having 16bit dithering support coupled with the hardwares lack of 16bit depth buffer support. Its a hardware thing not a software thing so not fixable in the drivers.
Click here to check out the whole conversation (it contains two screenshots from another game, what are a bit large so it needs time to download them).

Not sure if the cause of the problems is not similar or exactly the same for newer Nvidia cards (my last 1 is old and it works perfectly with XWA using my fontset), but if that's true, that leads to the same sad outcome I mentioned earlier: XWA's graphic engine badly needs an update even if it works with my present ATI card applying Reimar's patch on it and using the latest ATI driver.

Rebel_Terrorist
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Rebel_Terrorist » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:59 pm

Reimar wrote:Ok, that was a horrible experience but I have a solution for ATI cards. I doubt it helps the NVidia users out there though.
I have to wonder what compiler they used for XWA, the code is horribly inefficient, a simple recompile with a modern compiler would probably halve the size of the binary.
Anyway, the issue was indeed due to the Z-Buffer, and it is a ATI driver bug: the IDirectDrawSurface::Blt funtion is broken when used on the Z-Buffer with DDBLT_DEPTHFILL, somehow the Z-Buffer gets only partially filled. If you have more confidence in ATI's software department than I do I'd recommend to send them a bug report.
The solution is to use instead the Direct3D7 function IDirect3DViewPort::Clear2 function.
Note that XWA only requests (I think) Direct3D 1, so if you are unlucky it might just crash on some Windows versions, but it worked for me on Windows XP x64.
To use ViewPort::Clear2 to clear Z-Buffer you have to make these changes to the xwingalliance.exe (tested with 2.02):
at offset 0x1973ce (0x597fce in memory):
Pattern from: c7 45 ec ff ff 00 00
to: c7 45 ec 00 00 80 3f
at offset 0x197410 (0x598010 in memory):
Pattern from: 50 68 00 00 00 03 6a 00 6a 00 8d 4d 88 51 8b 15 a4 e7 b0 00 52 a1 a4 e7 b0 00 8b 08 ff 51 14
to: 90 6a 00 ff 75 ec 6a 00 6a 02 8d 4d 88 51 90 90 90 90 6a 01 a1 bc 15 7b 00 50 8b 08 ff 51 50
Reimar, you just saved one of my most favorite games of all time. You did what nobody on nVidia, Totally Games and LucasArts. You have all my gratitude, and the gratitude of a LOT of people on the nVidia Forums :kg: :applaus: :applaus: :applaus: :applaus: :applaus: :2thumbs: :up:
I thing Reimar should be awarded with an honorific place in this site for his work.

mork1979
Recruit

Post by mork1979 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:36 pm

SOMEBODY FOUND A SOLUTION FOR THE DISAPPEARING OBJECTS PROBLEM!!! (PART 2)

I just wanted to say a huge huge huge thanks to Reimar for making the patch that fixes the black screen background problem !!!!!!

I am running Vista x64 with Crossfire 4870 setup (8.11 drivers installed) and I can confidently say that Reimar's fix works like a charm.

Could we all join me in thanking Reimar !!!

(BTW I hardly EVER feel compelled to post anything on any any forum - this was so good I felt I had to get off my lazy arse!)

VPR
Cadet 1st Class

Post by VPR » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:43 pm

Another thanks due as I recently upgraded my ageing Sapphire X800 XL to a Sapphire HD 3850, ran the fix and everything's working correctly for XWA, luckily XvT & BoP don't seem to suffer this problem. Nice work Reimar. :)

Nomada_Firefox
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Nomada_Firefox » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks by all the info, I resolved the main problems editing with a hex editor the xwingalliance.exe , my graphics card is one Sapphire 4870 512MB GDDR5 with Windows XP 32bits proffesional, with the exception from stars background (and I know that there are some new files for it), all the other problems were resolved.

PD: Sorry by the first post on Lucasartsgames section but search does not run for me.

EtherShock
Ensign

Post by EtherShock » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:43 am

So wait, when I finally build a new computer, I either have to do some hex hacking if I get an ATI card or upgrade to Vista and get an Nvidia series 8 card or greater? And here I thought ATI was king with XWA.

Not cool.

I wonder what will happen when Windows 7 is released?

guru_redeye
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by guru_redeye » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:56 am

Interesting summing, Ethershock, although at least two combinations have escaped your eyes. lol :D If I would be about to build a new computer right now, I would consider the next aspects about XWA issue:

1.) When deciding about what kind of hardware parts and / or OS I buy, I would not consider at all if XWA 3D mode will or won't run on the new comp until a final solution (what - in my oppinion - must be a final compatibility update) will be implemented for XWA. (Positing that I do know that this doesn't have any chance actually.)

2.) If you've read this forum thread carefully, you could find the following video hardware / OS combinations "reported" so far working with XWA 3D mode, starting the enumeration from Reimar's first post:

- ATI + Linux/Wine, applying Reimar's patch, guessedly using the latest video driver (8.12) (by Reimar)

- Nvidia + Vista, applying some tweaking, without any patch (used by AlaricK)

- ATI + XP (Pro), applying Reimar's patch, using the videodriver submitted in december (by me, and Nomada_Firefox uses similar)

- Nvidia dual + XP (Pro), applying Reimar's patch (used by Sandking, Rebel_Terrorist uses an Nvidia card too)

- ATI + Vista, applying Reimar's patch, using video driver 8.11 (by mork1979)

The first thing you can notice easily, that 4 of this 5 items contains Reimar's patch.

3.) It results from these that I would decide on the hardware/OS configuration first (without considering XWA 3D mode issue), then I would try Reimar's XWA patch (again, it's included in 4 of the 5 combinations mentioned above). By the way the "hex hacking" you've mentioned is not as horrible as it sounds. You must do it once only, then just save the patched executable that's all. :D Reimar has done the most of the work for you, the only thing you really have to do is to trust his skills, and say a 'thanx' to him for submitting his work. :)

Of course this approach contains the possibility that XWA 3D mode won't work on the new configuration, but at least the new comp will still be optimal for my other needs and aspects this way. This doesn't mean I'd have discarded XWA (it's still my top star wars space sim ever), I just say this game will keep having more and more chance to get in conflicts with future hardwares / OS's / drivers until (or unless) it'll be updated. You never know how long you can run it in 3D mode at all without a complete graphic engine update.

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:52 pm

EtherShock wrote:So wait, when I finally build a new computer, I either have to do some hex hacking if I get an ATI card or upgrade to Vista and get an Nvidia series 8 card or greater?
No, instead of hex hacking you can just run the program xwahacker I wrote with the options I gave. Or you could get someone to write a .bat file that does that and you just need to double-click.
Or those who use a NOCD patch anyway could try to get those people to include it and there is no additional effort at all.
Or hope for ATI to fix their drivers, I can't see why they should not be able to do so (in the worst case with a game-specific workaround).
You could also vote for the Wine-Bug and hope it will be included soon and you only have to use Linux, the speed issue I mention is no problem if you stay with the standard resolutions (I was playing at 1680x1050, also I think this issue is much better with the 9.1 drivers).

VPR
Cadet 1st Class

Post by VPR » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:11 pm

guru_redeye wrote:..... I just say this game will keep having more and more chance to get in conflicts with future hardwares / OS's / drivers until (or unless) it'll be updated. You never know how long you can run it in 3D mode at all without a complete graphic engine update.
This is why we really need the source code releasing but I won't kid myself as I doubt that will ever possibly happen.

Falkirion
Recruit

Post by Falkirion » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:40 am

Can someone give me the quick run down on what I'll need to do to get XWA working in XP pro with a 3870?

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:08 pm

Falkirion wrote:Can someone give me the quick run down on what I'll need to do to get XWA working in XP pro with a 3870?
EDIT: Please use the files in the zip attachment a bit further down instead.

Assuming you are ready to run code from some random guy on the internet (i.e. me)
Download
http://natsuki.mplayerhq.hu/~reimar/xwahacker.exe
http://natsuki.mplayerhq.hu/~reimar/fixedclear.bat
Put them both in your XWA installation directory, and double-click the bat file.
You can then delete both those files again.
If it doesn't work I made an error and did not notice it because I was too lazy to actually test these instructions.
EDIT: you can also use these batch files to switch between the original 16-bit and 32-bit rendering mode, maybe it makes it possible to use anti-aliasing for you:
http://natsuki.mplayerhq.hu/~reimar/32bitmode.bat
http://natsuki.mplayerhq.hu/~reimar/16bitmode.bat
Last edited by Reimar on Tue May 12, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Falkirion
Recruit

Post by Falkirion » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:22 am

Thanks Reimar, worked a charm. Now I've just gotta fix up a text issue and I'm set.

Glad to have XWA working again. Love taking the fight to the Imps

manofStele
Ensign

Post by manofStele » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:57 pm

Huh. How about that. Patch seems to work great for the Nvidia disappearing thing as well. Running on the newest official nvidia drivers for my 8600 card. Just ran a test mission and didn't see any disappearing ships like happened a few months back. Might play a couple more today to make sure, but looks like a great fix.

:shock:
"Wow... Stele, you're my hero!" -Defiant
manofstele@yahoo.com

Arees
Recruit

Post by Arees » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:29 pm

I'm trying to use Reimar's patch but I'm having trouble with gaining permissions to overwrite the xwingalliance.exe file in my virtual drive. I used the properties menu to uncheck the Read-only attribute, and I tried to gain permission through the windows command prompt but neither worked... they both just failed. I'm using Vista. Am I missing something fundamental here?

dag-dabreemie
Recruit

Post by dag-dabreemie » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:47 am

Thank you so very much Reimar for this awesome bounty from which we receive! :gott:
Plentiful Kudos!
Not to beat off topic, but now do you think we can get Reimar to also work out a patch for Jedi Knight Dark Forces II & Mysteries of the Sith which are having the same hectic graphical problems as XWA was on Radeon HDs before this refreshful Blessing Patch came about? ;) I know its a longshot but I just had to ask. :roll: Thanks again.

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:51 am

Great job; I'm glad it worked for everyone else. For me... and I've got a dual Nvidia 9800 GTXes (which you made no claims it'd work for, I understand), when I applied the patch using the fixedclear.bat, it fixed the problem I was getting where the game wouldn't render in your field of view and your MFD at the same time. However, it caused a more drastic problem. LOL It caused the background/starfield to stop updating, meaning anything that was being rendered, and stars, and planets (background ACTs), and targeting boxes etc. from the HUD would streak across the screen.

When I tried to revert it to 16-bit using the batch, the problem persisted.

When I tried to revert it to 32-bit again... the streaking problem disappeared and the original problem was gone. The only new problems introduced were that it screwed up the colors for the loading screen and it caused the stars in the starfield to rotate between colors suddenly. You know how they normally dim and brighten? Well, they still do that, only not so gradually. It has a weird effect. But it's working 90%, and that's great!

Hey Reimar, I'd say this patch and the widescreen support fixes deserve some kind of mention in the site's FAQ, and maybe your files should even be hosted here. Especially if they become a bit more compatible! :) You deserve a medal.

*Edit*

Okay... I was having a problem earlier. For some reason, when I was recording with FRAPS in 32-bit resolution that worked 90%, the framerate would start CHUGGING. When I made it record at half resolution, it was fine. But I recorded at full resolution just fine before the fix, in the first 32-bit resolution that didn't work, and in the 16-bit resolution that didn't work...

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:59 pm

Tony Knightcrawler wrote:LOL It caused the background/starfield to stop updating, meaning anything that was being rendered, and stars, and planets (background ACTs), and targeting boxes etc. from the HUD would streak across the screen.
To my knowledge that only happens when you have anti-aliasing on. Seems that direct manipulation of the 16-bit framebuffer suddenly stops working then.
Tony Knightcrawler wrote: When I tried to revert it to 16-bit using the batch, the problem persisted.
That one reverts only the 32-bit patch, didn't think to make one that reverts fixedclear. You can just make a copy of that fixedclear.bat and change the "-c 3" to "-c 2" to revert it.
Tony Knightcrawler wrote: The only new problems introduced were that it screwed up the colors for the loading screen
Actually colours and position are wrong. Yes, that kind of thing happens when you draw 16-bit data into a 32-bit framebuffer :-) Didn't seem worth the effort to fix it (particularly since I have no idea where the code for that is), though it is quite annoying when you try to change some settings in the menu during flight.
Tony Knightcrawler wrote: and it caused the stars in the starfield to rotate between colors suddenly. You know how they normally dim and brighten? Well, they still do that, only not so gradually. It has a weird effect.
Yes, I know that. I obviously missed some parts on the 16 -> 32 bit conversion. I have kind of a fix for it, unfortunately mplayerhq is currently down, so I'll try to attach it here and hope it makes nobody angry. You just need to run the 32-bit .bat file again with this binary. It still is a bit wrong but unless you are staring real hard at those stars you hopefully won't notice.
Tony Knightcrawler wrote: this patch and the widescreen support fixes
You can use that tool also to change the resolutions, I just haven't thought of a fool-poof way to expose that yet.
E.g.
xwahacker xwingalliance.exe -r 1 1680 1050
will replace the 1152 x 864 resolution by 1680 x 1050 (of course the game still displays the wrong values, it does the same thing as the manual widescreen fixes, just a bit simpler to use at least for me).
Tony Knightcrawler wrote: Okay... I was having a problem earlier. For some reason, when I was recording with FRAPS in 32-bit resolution that worked 90%, the framerate would start CHUGGING. When I made it record at half resolution, it was fine. But I recorded at full resolution just fine before the fix, in the first 32-bit resolution that didn't work, and in the 16-bit resolution that didn't work...
I think I don't completely understand what you try to say, but the 32 bit patch changes the framebuffer format, that means that XWingAlliance pushes twice as much data to the graphics card for each frame, and FRAPS needs to pull and encode twice as much data from the graphics card. If the "fixedclear" patch alone causes this I have no explanation though.

And concerning someone else's question:
Jedi Knight Dark Forces II & Mysteries of the Sith
I don't own those games and they don't interest me much in general, so little chance I will work on them :-). I always hoped that now that the issues are debugged and a software-only solution is known someone at ATI/NVidia would have mercy and fix the drivers...

EDIT: updated attachment to include the source and .bat file, including a new changeres.bat which guides you through replacing resolutions.
EDIT2: updated attachment to also include otherfixes.txt for TIE95/XWing95 hacks etc. and a readme.txt
EDIT3: updated attachments to enable screenshots in 32-bit mode (disabling screenshots for 8-bit modes, in case someone cares)
EDIT4: please find an updated attachment in a later post in this thread (page 5 currently). It can also do the TIE95/XWing95 fixes without manual hex-editing (note, TIE95 "fix" crashes with NVidia cards). Removed the attachment here.
Last edited by Reimar on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

EtherShock
Ensign

Post by EtherShock » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:57 am

I had high hopes of this on getting widescreen finally, but nope, no effect. Maybe it only works with higher resolutions than mine (1280x800)?

ghostdog
Recruit

Post by ghostdog » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:01 am

Hi, Reimar.
Thanks for attachment!
May you attach these files too?
fixedclear.bat
32bitmode.bat
16bitomode.bat
I can't access to the site by using the links on this forum
Thanks again. You are great!
Bye

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:59 am

EtherShock wrote:I had high hopes of this on getting widescreen finally, but nope, no effect. Maybe it only works with higher resolutions than mine (1280x800)?
Note that you are just _replacing_ one of the game's resolutions by another one. You still have to select the resolution that you replaced in the in-game settings menu, so for the example I gave the one saying 1152 x 864.
It will also only affect the 3D-part of the game and only if you have hardware-3D working. Also keep in mind that single- and multiplayer settings are independent.
Also, if your Config.cfg file is broken, it will fall back to some default resolution my program can't change - you could try moving the Config.cfg file away to make sure that's not causing the problem.
And the attachment was updated to include also a changeres.bat which should simplify verifying and changing the resolution settings.

EtherShock
Ensign

Post by EtherShock » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:07 am

I know the hack just tells the res setting to use a different res than it specifies. The highest the game allows me to go is 1024x768 without manually editing the config file, so I set it to that in single player, and it didn't work even though I indicated resolution setting 2 with the hacker. I also tried 800x600 and same thing at res setting 1. I didn't bother to try any other resolutions yet. I have been working on trying to enable widescreen smoothly for a while now, and I have been playing in 3D mode ever since I got a 3D card just for the 3D graphics when this game was new. The manual hex hack works, but I have to reset the resolution every time if I return from the hangar and go back the cruiser screens. My config file isn't broken. The game works as if I didn't do anything, and I checked it too.

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:23 am

EtherShock wrote:The highest the game allows me to go is 1024x768 without manually editing the config file, so I set it to that in single player, and it didn't work even though I indicated resolution setting 2 with the hacker.
So in video settings you can only choose between 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768? I have never heard of that problem... Also xwahacker can not change the resolution for 1024x768, because that would automatically change the resolution for the 1280x1024 mode, too.
Does setting the resolution actually work reliably (without resolution hacks) or does it always end up reverting to a certain resolution? Maybe e.g. your display incorrectly claims to not support those resolutions, can you make it use 800x600 or 1152x864 via the Windows display settings or does it not offer those resolutions?
EtherShock wrote:I also tried 800x600 and same thing at res setting 1.
Huh? 800x600 is 0 in xwahacker (and yes, the numbers do not match those in the config file).
I'll update the attachment in a moment, try force800mode.bat to force XWA to always use the 800x600 mode, and then change what that one maps to with changeres.bat, maybe it helps. I do suspect the underlying issue is that your display has a broken EDID table.

DarthKaal
Recruit

Post by DarthKaal » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:58 pm

Thank you so much Reimar, this fix works real great, it's a pleasure to play again XWA ^^

I'd be so happy to see other patches like this one for other LucasArts games with pretty similar problems (at least on my Radeon HD 2600 Pro).

I don't know how much time and efforts you've spend on this fix, so I can't just ask you like that (and you've already answered about Jedi Knight).
But you see, I'm sure that there would be many people who'd be ready (I am) to donate to see you working on fix for other LucasArts titles which have similar problems.
I'm thinking of "Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II" and its addon "Mysteries of the Sith" (same 3D acceleration issues), "Shadows of the Empire" (3D models disappear, leaving only the ground and the sky...), and I surely forget some other titles.

It's really a shame to see the lack of ATI support concerning legacy games (I've seen many threads on their forum concerning issues with old games, and not a word from ATI...).
It's even more a shame to see the lack of LucasArts support concerning their old games, they are very protective (and I respect that) but we never see any updates...

Anyway, thanks again for the XWA fix ;)