INFO: Common graphic problems with XWA

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Re: INFO: Common graphic problems with XWA

KrazyTrumpeter05
Cadet 4th Class

Post by KrazyTrumpeter05 » Tue May 19, 2009 4:06 pm

That's not how it works...each core runs at that speed.

ERADEEJAY
Recruit

Post by ERADEEJAY » Wed May 20, 2009 3:46 pm

Hello...
First of all Thanks to Reimar for the fix is !AWESOME!.
Before the fix I wasn´t have any graphics problems but I was having a maximun of 15 FPS and I could not forced AA in the nVidia control panel, because when force AA all the object disapears less the HUD.

I appli the fix and now my FPS up to the maximun of 30 that the game can provide, and I can force AA in the nVidia control panel.
This is an comparative screen-capture for AA.
http://www.mailboxdrive.com/images/hous ... /50571.jpg

Complet screen (1680x1050) AA-4x
http://www.mailboxdrive.com/images/hous ... /50569.jpg

Ok! all are excellent but, I have a problem with the crafts models preview before each mission and in the lobby where I can see them. (This happend when I force AA)
Look the screencaptures:
Before the model load
http://www.mailboxdrive.com/images/hous ... /50587.jpg

when the model appears
http://www.mailboxdrive.com/images/hous ... /50588.jpg

Any help would be appreciated...
My specs:
Laptop Dell Inspiron 1520
Intel core 2 Duo 2.2
2GB RAM
nVidia 8600m GT 256mb
Graphic driver 185.85
Res 1680x1050
Windows vista 32-bit

I appli DSUCP 1.1 and all XWAU crafts.
In-game graphics settings are all on max (hardware accelleration).
In the nVidia control panel I have forced AA for XWA to 4x.
I edit the .exe to play in 1680x1050 res. And I force to use one core with runfirst aplication.

Thanks, again...

Dragon
XWAU Member

Post by Dragon » Wed May 20, 2009 5:34 pm

Thanks ERADEEJAY for revealing that Reimars patch work with Vista 32 + nVidia. :up:
And thanks a million, to Reimar for the patch. :2thumbs:

ERADEEJAY about your problem with the crafts library, did you use the 16 or 32 bit bat? I used the 32 bit and have no problem with the library.

Edit: There are two minor errors.
1. The loading screen and the in-flight option menu have now a strange color.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w290 ... 67/XWA.jpg

2. There is a bit of text garbling.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w290 ... _52_49.jpg
Every story has four sides to it: yours, the others, the truth and what really happend.
"You have failed me for the last time, Admiral."

ERADEEJAY
Recruit

Post by ERADEEJAY » Thu May 21, 2009 2:45 pm

Thanks for your help...
In 32-Bit mode same all. So I use the 16-Bit becouse that two errors.

I hope Reimar or some one have the solution for my crafts library problem...
This patch is very Important for the game. It have to be apply, doesn´t matter if don´t be graphics problems, the game updates for the correct operation with the new graphics cards and becomes the game run properly. Thats why I have 30FPS with all the new xwa upgrades.

BTW, I can´t use the .bat files, I run like Administrator and vista blocks saying xwahacker is not a command line or somthing that I don´t remember. And I don´t wana deactivated UAC.
So I just created a direct acces in the desktop pointing to xwahacker.exe, then in properties (Right Click in the new direct acces) I add, in destination box, "xwingalliance.exe -c #" where "#" is 0(16bit),1(32bit) or 3(fixedclear). Something like this: ("C:\games\x-wingalliance\xwahacker.exe xwingalliance.exe -c 1"), this example for 32bit mode, save and run the direct acces like administrator.

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Thu May 21, 2009 6:19 pm

ERADEEJAY wrote: I hope Reimar or some one have the solution for my crafts library problem...
That looks exactly like the issue others had with 16-bit mode and AA. 16-bit graphics and AA just do not work together reliably. For the library it's also not really possible to switch to 32-bit mode, you see what happens to the loading screen when you do that, the same thing would happen to everything non-3D there as well.
I think you'll have to live with it, maybe use two XWA binaries one with AA enabled and one without, and choose whichever you need right now.
And when I last tried the bat files worked for me when running them with right-click -> run as administrator.
You need to have all the files (.bat, xwahacker.exe, xwingalliance.exe) in the same directory. But UAC is unfortuntely quite buggy with commandline apps, so there might be issues I haven't discovered yet...

ERADEEJAY
Recruit

Post by ERADEEJAY » Thu May 21, 2009 8:27 pm

Thanks for your quickly answer Reimar.
Anyway, doesn´t matter I can play with this, the most important thing is in the battle field, and looks Awesome with AA.

Maybe some one find the way to replace this 16bit 2D textures with 32bit ones...

mmmmhmm... I don´t know how to mod a game, but with others games the moders replaces some textures with texmod...

Dragon
XWAU Member

Post by Dragon » Fri May 22, 2009 1:28 am

Thanks for the info Reimar.
I just noticed one other thing, the Screenshot option isn't working at the 32 Bit mode. Any chance to fix that?
Every story has four sides to it: yours, the others, the truth and what really happend.

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Fri May 22, 2009 1:18 pm

Dragon wrote: I just noticed one other thing, the Screenshot option isn't working at the 32 Bit mode. Any chance to fix that?
The just updated files should fix it. It is really slow though, the screenshot feature is badly coded (writes it pixel-by-pixel) and changing that is too complicated in a binary patch.
Run the 32bitmode patching code again and it should work (remember to always backup your xwingalliance.exe, it should not be possible to break it permanently but mistakes happen...)

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Fri May 22, 2009 1:28 pm

Dragon wrote: Edit: There are two minor errors.
I'd consider that unfixable for now, unfortunately. It would be possible to convert that stuff to 32 bit before rendering it on screen (like the starfield) but there simply isn't enough space in the binary where you could place that code.
The difference with the starfield is that it was generated as 24 bit, so I just had to take out the 24 -> 16 bit conversion code. Replacing code like for the screenshot feature is possible, too - adding not so much.
Edit: does someone know where and in what format that loading screen is stored on disk? I just realized that XWA seems to be able to run with a 8-bit framebuffer in which case there might be some 16-bit to 8-bit conversion code that could be replaced...
Dragon wrote: 2. There is a bit of text garbling.
Don't know for sure about that, but given how it looks for me I suspect that it might be another variant of the typical font-garbling. Maybe using one of the "fixed" font patches can improve it. Or it might be yet another issue that is specific to nVidia drivers (I have to admit with ATI I have given up on getting _properly_ working fonts in XWA and settled for "usually readable").
Last edited by Reimar on Fri May 22, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon
XWAU Member

Post by Dragon » Fri May 22, 2009 3:57 pm

Reimar wrote:
Dragon wrote: I just noticed one other thing, the Screenshot option isn't working at the 32 Bit mode. Any chance to fix that?
The just updated files should fix it. It is really slow though, the screenshot feature is badly coded (writes it pixel-by-pixel) and changing that is too complicated in a binary patch.
Run the 32bitmode patching code again and it should work (remember to always backup your xwingalliance.exe, it should not be possible to break it permanently but mistakes happen...)
Um... which "just updated files" do you mean? :? The Zip is from the 13.03.
Reimar wrote:
Dragon wrote: Edit: There are two minor errors.
I'd consider that unfixable for now, unfortunately. It would be possible to convert that stuff to 32 bit before rendering it on screen (like the starfield) but there simply isn't enough space in the binary where you could place that code.
The difference with the starfield is that it was generated as 24 bit, so I just had to take out the 24 -> 16 bit conversion code. Replacing code like for the screenshot feature is possible, too - adding not so much.
I can live with it, thankyou. :^^:
Reimar wrote:
Dragon wrote: 2. There is a bit of text garbling.
Don't know for sure about that, but given how it looks for me I suspect that it might be another variant of the typical font-garbling. Maybe using one of the "fixed" font patches can improve it. Or it might be yet another issue that is specific to nVidia drivers (I have to admit with ATI I have given up on getting _properly_ working fonts in XWA and settled for "usually readable").
It isn't a Font problem, i think. It only happens at the top row at Speed, Craftname and the right menu. :?

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Fri May 22, 2009 5:28 pm

Dragon wrote: Um... which "just updated files" do you mean? :? The Zip is from the 13.03.
The one attached in this thread on page 2. The post is from March 12th, but the attachment isn't, just check the dates of the files in the archive, they should be from today (I just tested it and it works for me).
But http://natsuki.mplayerhq.hu/~reimar/ has the updated files, too.
Dragon wrote: It isn't a Font problem, i think. It only happens at the top row at Speed, Craftname and the right menu. :?
Maybe, maybe not, the font issues appeared only at certain "locations", too, though admittedly the pattern looked different. It looks a bit like the driver forgets to draw one triangle of the square.
Either way I have no idea what the problem might be, except that the font rendering of XWA IMO is far more fragile than it should/needs to be.
Maybe I'll get adventurous some time and try to find and rewrite it, but I doubt it.

Dragon
XWAU Member

Post by Dragon » Fri May 22, 2009 7:01 pm

Reimar wrote:
Dragon wrote: Um... which "just updated files" do you mean? :? The Zip is from the 13.03.
The one attached in this thread on page 2. The post is from March 12th, but the attachment isn't, just check the dates of the files in the archive, they should be from today (I just tested it and it works for me).
But http://natsuki.mplayerhq.hu/~reimar/ has the updated files, too.
I looked for a updated 32 bit bat. :kopfwand: Works fine now, thanks.
Dragon wrote: It isn't a Font problem, i think. It only happens at the top row at Speed, Craftname and the right menu. :?
Maybe, maybe not, the font issues appeared only at certain "locations", too, though admittedly the pattern looked different. It looks a bit like the driver forgets to draw one triangle of the square.
Either way I have no idea what the problem might be, except that the font rendering of XWA IMO is far more fragile than it should/needs to be.
Maybe I'll get adventurous some time and try to find and rewrite it, but I doubt it.
It isn't that important. :^^:

KrazyTrumpeter05
Cadet 4th Class

Post by KrazyTrumpeter05 » Fri May 22, 2009 10:39 pm

So am I just stuck with choppy frame rates on my high end system? :(

Dragon
XWAU Member

Post by Dragon » Sat May 23, 2009 1:54 am

KrazyTrumpeter05 wrote:So am I just stuck with choppy frame rates on my high end system? :(
Have you tried Reimars patch?

longshot006
Recruit

Post by longshot006 » Sun May 24, 2009 12:02 pm

GREAT!!!!
THIS FIX MADE MY DAY!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, YOU MADE ME VERY VERY HAPPY

With friendly Regards

Sebastian

KrazyTrumpeter05
Cadet 4th Class

Post by KrazyTrumpeter05 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:07 pm

Dragon wrote:
KrazyTrumpeter05 wrote:So am I just stuck with choppy frame rates on my high end system? :(
Have you tried Reimars patch?

Yes, but all it did was let me use anti-aliasing.

KrazyTrumpeter05
Cadet 4th Class

Post by KrazyTrumpeter05 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:02 am

Also, do the "otherfixes.txt" for TIE95 let you use anti aliasing with that game?

edit: Just checked, and they don't. Any idea if what lines I need to change to allow anti-aliasing? It applies AA just fine in your cockpit target view, but in your viewport you get the horrible streaking effect.

antialias1
Recruit

Post by antialias1 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:23 pm

Arrrgh.

without the 2.02 patch I get the missing (black) blocks in the picture.

after updating to 2.02 I get a screwed up HUD (radar display right in the center) (but reimars patch then manages to fix the 'black blocks' issue)

is there a way to use reimars fix on an unpatched installation of xwa?

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:49 pm

ah great
i reinstalled my computer, with XWA in tow, and i get the disappearing object problem and the damn hack don't seem to work unfortunately
(and yes, it do it with a Clean install of XWA
here what i have :
Asus Rampage II Gene
CPU Core i7 Quad Core i920
6 GB DDR3
EVGA GeForce 9600GT
screen : Lenovo ThinkVision L192P
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:15 am

frankly, i dont understand anymore, i just tried it under windows 7 and it works
right now, its WTF? :?
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:35 am

Awesome Reimar's patch worked fine! Now if someone could make a similar patch for Jedi Knight 1. I'd be happy. lol it has a similar problem.

laxmotive
Recruit

Post by laxmotive » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:46 pm

Well everything works great!!! :D
You are awesome Reimer! :gott:

The only problem I'm having is getting 1680x1050 to take.
I've used your .bat files Reimer but XWA doesn't seem to notice or care.
It just runs the native resolution that the .bet file should have overwritten.
(I also tried the force800mode.bat as well)
Not only that I tried editing the .exe with a hex editor but still nothing.
Strange. If anyone can help :D but if not I can live without full screen. But the screens I've seen of it are almost to good to pass up.

FeoFUN
Recruit

Post by FeoFUN » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:18 pm

Hi guys.

I'm newbie here, so, before i ask my question i want to say THANKS to creators and members of this great place. You are doing a GREAT job, really.
But, i have a strange problem with the texture-quality on the new models.

Please, take a look at these in-game shots.
New ISD-1:
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3120/isdnew2.jpg

New ISD-2:
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9956/isd2new.jpg

and original ISD-II, for comparison:
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/1033/isd2old.jpg

As you can see, textures are very poor detailed and has far less quality, in comparison with the reference shots on site, or EVEN if i open the same models in OptGL(right from the /FLIGHTMODELS folders). Unfortunately, i can't find solution for this issue. Can someone explain where is the problem and how it can be fixed? Thanks in advance.

P.S. My system: C2D-E8500/4Gb/GTX260(192sp)-896Mb(Fware-182.06)/Vista-x64.
P.P.S. And sorry for my bad English.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Simply, turn down the brightness in your ingame settings
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

FeoFUN
Recruit

Post by FeoFUN » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:35 am

Darksaber wrote:Simply, turn down the brightness in your ingame settings
OMG! It works!!! :up: Thank you, Darksaber!