Marauder

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Marauder

Wotan Weave
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Wotan Weave » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks to all of you for the fine models you have created over the years. I've enjoyed the fruits of your labor many times, though I rarely have time to play XWA these days.

Lately, I have had some downtime at work to put into tutorials and decided to try and develop some Maya skills. Modelling an XWA ship seemed like a great way to get used to Maya for a 3D ignorant person.

I hate the Marauder Corvette, but thought it would be a good one to try. It has always bothered me for a few reasons. 1) It seems much more aerodynamic than most other starships. 2) It looks like somebody just upsized a starfighter. Case in point, the "windshield" on the bridge area. 3) Those gigantic "lasers" on the wingtips seem strange on a large ship.

Chances are, my model will never amount to anything and I'm sure it's poor quality compared to great stuff churned out on this site but I wanted to share it nonetheless.

It still lacks some cleanup, more detail and laser batteries. I stuck fairly close to the original model although I did add a hanger. I hope to try my hand at texturing it as well at some point. It's naked right now.

Also, the my model is done with quads. Is that okay?

Throw out your feedback. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wotan Weave
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Wotan Weave » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:41 pm

More angles
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:58 pm

That looks good. It is a great ship to try out as no ones working on it.
The Marauder has always been a funny ship. A guy named DataDroid did an update on it many years ago but for some reason it never became an official XWAU ship. It wasn't a total revamp I think but was better than the TG one for sure.

I believe it is in Darksabers UCP but I'm not sure. I brought up the potential to upgrade this ship 3 years ago! Still nothing has happened with it. That's how fast time flies and how slow the XWAU is now lol :P

So I say keep working on it and see how it goes. Anything is an improvement on the original. I recommend you work at getting a good model made and working in the game. Then you can worry about texturing it. The biggest problem we have right now is not many people feel good at texturing. My view is though if people actually finish the ships they say they will then someone else can always try texturing them.

GT or others who know will have to advise you on quads and stuff like that. Not my area.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:46 pm

Nobody else got any comments or opinions on Wotans model?
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

ANDREW L
Rebel Alliance

Post by ANDREW L » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:05 pm

I think it looks pretty darn good!

Love the detail with the cannons on the wings
<A HREF="http://jkdf2.net/jklex/" TARGET=_blank>JKLE</A><P>One of the last active JK and MotS clan<P><I>Legends return one last time</I>

Fader
Galactic Empire

Post by Fader » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:24 am

I like it! :)
Work in progress: Clone Fighters, the Rise of the Empire campaign XWA mod
Trailer on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BI8afj13sg
Download the pre-release: rev.0.6 at
http://www.maxgames.it/xwa

Leofus
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Leofus » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:59 am

beautiful!

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:48 pm

I think it's good. :) But which version of the Marauder are you going by? The top part of the "fuselage/engine" doesn't look like any of the pictures I am looking at, and the front of the "wings" also looks different.