Remember the old Y-Wing???

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Re: Remember the old Y-Wing???

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks, at the time when the first model was made, the only real reference as BaldFett pointed out was from Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessel.

Not very accurate, since then pictures have popped up on the net to get a better idea of what the craft should have been like.

One day I'll get around to finishing the other model, but I hope this intermediate Ywing will suffice, at least the textures won't be as in your face :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

BaldFett
Recruit

Post by BaldFett » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:44 pm

Wow, yeah great! The beefier model looks good, hope to see it in the future!
I found it hard to believe that you people with such a great eye on detail didn't notice a thing like this. Thankfully you did. (funny sidenote that Lucasfilm themselves went horribly wrong when designing the EP3 Corellian Corvette after the faulty EGVV Blockade Runner and not the OT studio models :lachtot: )

If you're looking for a better or perhaps even accurate blueprint of the "beefy" Y-wing, you should check Star Wars the Blueprints: Rebel Edition. There is a small preview image on Amazon which gives you an idea. I once got the chance to skim trough the real book in a store, and the images look really great. (didn't buy 'cause I thought €20 was too much). The writers of that book actually came up on the 34,75m for the Falcon as the new official length.

The new textures on the old one are still great, off course. ;)

Michal
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Michal » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:16 pm

Great work on new Y-wing. I love new textures and especially the cockpit.
It's good to see some work from Master himself again.

I assume that this Y-wing will be part of UCP2 :D
My current project X-Wing Game Series Twitter
My old project X-Wing Series Site, still online

Leofus
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Leofus » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:59 am

thanks for crediting the idea of default yellow colors even though obviously everyone already thought of it. why do all the fg colors have that red stripe near the cockpit? will that be corrected in the final version?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:24 pm

Leofus wrote:thanks for crediting the idea of default yellow colors even though obviously everyone already thought of it. why do all the fg colors have that red stripe near the cockpit? will that be corrected in the final version?
Crediting??? no you mentioned it, the idea was nothing new, sorry :)

Anyhow regarding the red patch, I can't remember where I saw a picture with a red patch, personally I like it, but I will make a compromise, on the yellow it stays, but on the red blue and green I've made it grey, will this suffice???
ywingfg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

ANDREW L
Rebel Alliance

Post by ANDREW L » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:48 pm

Excellent work again DarkSaber! Loving it!
<A HREF="http://jkdf2.net/jklex/" TARGET=_blank>JKLE</A><P>One of the last active JK and MotS clan<P><I>Legends return one last time</I>

Leofus
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Leofus » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:36 pm

you must be trolling again

Millenniumfalsehood
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Millenniumfalsehood » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Wow! That is a *marked* improvement over the original texture!

Could you maybe make the ribbed sections behind the yellow stripes on the engine domes, the sides of the nose cone, and the cockpit canopy more blue-gray in tone? It's a big part of the look of the Y-wing, to my eye. Or at least leave it as an option? :^^:

JCDisaray
Ensign

Post by JCDisaray » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:45 pm

How do I get my hands on this OPT!?

Thanks!

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:22 pm

I I'm assuming...wait like everyone else, not trying to be a smart@#s, just being blunt. ;)

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:37 am

The updates look good! I think it looks much better than the original! I'd like to see the A-Wing, X-Wing, and B-Wing get similar treatment in the future!
"I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours."

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:03 pm

Q wrote:The updates look good! I think it looks much better than the original! I'd like to see the A-Wing, X-Wing, and B-Wing get similar treatment in the future!
Can you clarify a few things, could you be a little more specific with what exactly is wrong with the craft you've mentioned, please???
- John Lydgate

Atx
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atx » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:59 pm

:::Tears of Joy!!!:::
:cooler:
The Navbuoy is closed...long live the XWAU!!!

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:15 am

Darksaber wrote:
Q wrote:The updates look good! I think it looks much better than the original! I'd like to see the A-Wing, X-Wing, and B-Wing get similar treatment in the future!
Can you clarify a few things, could you be a little more specific with what exactly is wrong with the craft you've mentioned, please???
Don't get me wrong, I think the XWAU models are much better than the original XWA models, but I think they could be a bit more accurate. I think they could all use some shape refinements and a few more mesh details. Also some updated textures so they don't look so faded and washed out. I also think the cockpits are far too bright/colorful and seem a bit cluttered with all the lights and displays. Most of the movie cockpits had minimal color variations, mostly black and grey with silver trim. Also the lights/buttons were less varied and had soft tones of yellow, white, orange, and red. Little to no green or blue lighting can be seen and only a few displays. I'm not looking for a 100% accurate model or textures just something a bit closer.
For an example of shape/texture differences here is a pic of four A-Wing models (XWA, XWAUP, My own model, ILM studio model):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/ ... sXWAUP.jpg

Oldcode
Rebel Alliance

Post by Oldcode » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Great work as always DS! :D

I've always has a special love for the Y-Wing. When I first saw Star Wars in 76 at age 11, the X-Wing blew me away with how original it was, but the Y-Wing has that classic, Buck Rogers/Flash Gorden rocket ship feel to it, with a modern twist.

LOVE IT! :geek:

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:39 pm

Q wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think the XWAU models are much better than the original XWA models, but I think they could be a bit more accurate. I think they could all use some shape refinements and a few more mesh details. Also some updated textures so they don't look so faded and washed out. I also think the cockpits are far too bright/colorful and seem a bit cluttered with all the lights and displays. Most of the movie cockpits had minimal color variations, mostly black and grey with silver trim. Also the lights/buttons were less varied and had soft tones of yellow, white, orange, and red. Little to no green or blue lighting can be seen and only a few displays. I'm not looking for a 100% accurate model or textures just something a bit closer.
For an example of shape/texture differences here is a pic of four A-Wing models (XWA, XWAUP, My own model, ILM studio model):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/ ... sXWAUP.jpg
Here are some additional examples:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/ ... Colors.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/ ... ter_01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/ ... ber_01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/ ... tor_01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/ ... _X1_01.jpg

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:50 pm

And what game are those from??
- John Lydgate

Marco Antonio
XWAU Member

Post by Marco Antonio » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm

This B-wing seems out of proportion to me.
my WIP:
Derylin Platform - Modelling-100% Mapping-10%

JC
XWAU Member

Post by JC » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:01 pm

That new cockpit looks a lot better with the more simplistic Star Wars look to it. I do miss Decoy's heavier dirt even if it's a bit on the greenish side, on the external model. Gave the ungainly craft a more heavily used workhorse feel.

Javier Lopez
Ensign

Post by Javier Lopez » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:06 am

Me likes that Y-Wing :2thumbs: ... cockpit also looks cleaner and having better visibility... tought i must say not as much as i would like.. :^^:

But nonetheless awesome work... looking forward to it
Known as Sparrow<BR>Lores del Sith SQuadron.<BR>ICQ: 70084473

- John Lydgate

Work in progress: Clone Fighters, the Rise of the Empire campaign XWA mod
Trailer on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BI8afj13sg
Download the pre-release: rev.0.6 at
http://www.maxgames.it/xwa

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:28 am

My bet is they're from one of those huge-scale Battlefield or Homeworld SW Mods
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:10 am

A friend of mine sent these model renders to me. He says they are models done in 3DS Max and not from any game mod. He says he might use them in a game mod or something in the future but for now they are just collecting dust on his hard drive. He wouldn't tell me any more than that. He also noted that the B-Wing and X-Wing s-foils open and close via keyframe animations.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:04 pm

Directed to Q

Even if your models aren't from another game (which I don't believe) why are you comparing our models to someone else's models.

You complain about the textures being faded or washed out, or the cockpits being too bright or too many screens with the wrong colour, or not enough detail on the models.

If your not happy with our craft, which I'll add that most are nearing 10 years old now, for a game that is nearly 13 years old, then I suggest that you either start creating your own craft and submitting them or you move on to a more up-to-date game that can handle better graphics.

The y-wing update was a one off, I personally don't want to keep updating craft year after year to satisfy someone need for accuracy or more detail, with some of our craft we are pushing the limits as it is, the game can lag as it is with the XWAUP craft, so why would we want to add more details to them??

I think you have been here long enough now to appreciate the advancements in graphics

The game spec at the time XWA came out

Operating System: Windows 95 or 98
Computer: 100% Windows 95/98 DirectX compatible computer required
CPU: 200 MHz or faster CPU required.
Memory: 32MB RAM required
Software rendering only: 2MB PCI or AGP Graphics card required
3D Hardware support: 4MB PCI or AGP Direct 3D Graphics Accelerator Required

Most people have difficulty getting XWA to play these days due to updated OS, highend graphics cards or increasingly more ram usage, just because computers have got faster doesn't mean XWA will run any better.
- John Lydgate