Great work on these models! A couple questions/issues

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Great work on these models! A couple questions/issues

joodicator
Recruit

Post by joodicator » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:40 pm

Hey XWAU team/community, the GOG release inspired me to check out the progress here (after probably... 12 years since I looked into this stuff?) and I have to say, awesome work!

Since the craft pack is currently offline, I downloaded and installed most of the single models. Everything seems to work great, with a couple exceptions. Thought I'd log them here, in case anyone else has experienced the problems and can tell me what I'm doing wrong, or fix the issue if it's a problem with the individual exe's.

1. Y-Wing. The standalong Y-Wing installer won't run for me, immediately returning error "This version of BTL-A4 Y-Wing Fighter contains files that are older than the files already installed." I checked and ensured that the FLIGHTMODEL for the Y-Wing in my GOG install is still the original. I peeked into the archive of this installer, and noticed it includes multiple copies of the YWing, YWingCockpit, and YwingExterior OPTs. Not sure if that alone is an error (I haven't found any others like this that I've checked, at least), or if maybe there are really different models and the installer is missing logic/options to choose which to install?

2. Azzameen Home Base. If I install this one and load any story mission starting at home base, the game crashes while loading into the hanger :nosmile: Not sure if there's something I'm doing wrong or if its a problem with the files, if there's any kind of crash report I could provide that would help you guys determine the problem, I'd be happy to provide it (if you give me a clue how to find the log/report).

Again, thanks for the years of dedication and great work -- I'm loving this game all over again now!

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:14 am

1. The stand alone Y-Wing installer won't run due to you installing DTM's Super Backdrops which included the Y-Wing, due to the mission being altered for the superbackdrops, also, both the Y-Wing standalone installer and DTM's Super Backdrops installer includes 2 version of the Y-Wing

1st with Yellow, Red, Blue and Green flightgroup Colours
2nd with Red, Yellow, Blue and Green flightgroup Colours

Can I ask what did you use to as you say Peek into the archive of the installer??

1. I take it your clicking on "Go to Briefing" button, the briefing runs and you may see a render of a craft? This is what is causing the crash The Render of the crafty, it's no caused by the Azzameen Family Base.

You can read about it here 3D models during briefings cause crash on launch

There is a fix for it here XWA.Exe Patches

Copy your XWingAlliance.exe to the folder where you extracted XWA.Exe Patches click on the XwaExePatcherWindow.exe you will see a list of fixes look down the list for "Disable Briefing Wireframe Overlay and click on "Apply", next copy and paste the XwingAlliance.exe back to your XWA Folder, run the game, you should now see the game load.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

joodicator
Recruit

Post by joodicator » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:52 am

Thanks for the quick reply Darksaber.

I forgot about the Y-Wing in the DTMSB install; you're right I did install that first. Doesn't seem like that installed the updated cockpit, though :/ If there's no way to have both with the individual installers I'll live until the craft pack is updated, the pretty backdrops are much more important than the Y-Wing cockpit.

I looked at the archives of the installer by just opening the exe with an archive viewer, i.e. 7-Zip. Just a trick I've picked up at work for looking in some standard windows installer packages to verify their contents.

For the Home crash, the models in the briefing display just fine (displaying the XWAU new models) -- never had a problem with that. It crashes during the loading screen between the briefing and the hangar. Pretty sure I isolated it down to just that exe -- worked fine before, backed up the XWA install, installed just Azzameen home, reproduced the crash a couple of times, reverted to backup, back to working just fine. Not ruling out that there's something wrong with just my machine, but I tried the above twice and then gave up on installing that one. Just tried the exe patch you mentioned, and it didn't change the result -- still crashes during hangar load after installing family base.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:08 am

Uninstall DTM's Superbackdrops, then install the Y-wing, and then again install DTMs Backdrops, you can install both this way but not the other way around, and sorry I was wrong DTM's installer doesn't include the Y-Wing Opts, but install as I sain Y-wing then DTMSBv1.0.exe

It's not about the craft displaying correctly, its to do with the wireframe overlay in the briefing, read the page I linked to, Trust me It's not the family base, I've just tested the installer myself and no crash, I've uploaded a newer installer, download and test again
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

joodicator
Recruit

Post by joodicator » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:52 am

You're right, it doesn't have anything to do with that particular model -- tried again with the first installer and was able to reproduce the crash on missions in the rebel fleet, too! In any case, after running the installer you just uploaded, everything works fine -- maybe something just got corrupted in my download of the other one?

I'll try your suggestion for installing the Y-Wing before DTMSB, thanks again for the help!