"XwingAlliance.exe not detected"

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

"XwingAlliance.exe not detected"

Aquarius3868
Recruit

Post by Aquarius3868 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:19 pm

Hi Folks,

First: Great Stuff :-) So, I have installed XWA on WIN10 and it works fine. My problem: I can't install the XWA Upgrade :-(

I try and I try.....every time it shows me "XwingAlliance.exe not detected" ....

Any Solutions? I searched the Internet & forum for a solution but I can't find one....so I'm desperate....

thanks in advance.
Bernd

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:44 pm

First of all, which version did you install? CD, GoG or Steam? If it's the original CD version, I'm not sure if the big installer includes the 2.02 game patch (DS, correct me if I'm wrong). If it doesn't you may need to install that first.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Aquarius3868
Recruit

Post by Aquarius3868 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:23 pm

Hi General,
first, thankyou for your help. I have the CD Version and also now the GoG Version,..
I'll try the GoG and if the prob persists, I asked you again :D :roll:

Bye

Executor32
Galactic Empire

Post by Executor32 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:21 am

I got the same error when trying to patch the Steam version. This doesn't apply to the CD or GoG versions, but launching the game (well, the XWA Launcher, actually) once from within Steam fixed it.
他人の不幸は蜜の味。
Quamobrem? Quod tui tangis nocturne.

I've heard the aluminum in antiperspirants causes alzheimers,
but I keep forgeting to find out if that is a myth or not. -Havokeff @ SDN

CIDlord_1973
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by CIDlord_1973 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:47 am

Yeah, i installed it on my steam version, and when i tried too with cd version, it doesn't detect it.
:kopfwand:

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:45 am

Can you explain exactly what you mean? You say you installed on your steam version.

Then you say you tried it on your CD version, did you uninstall the steam version first then try to install on the cd version.

Please explain, in coherent sentences, if you don't explain I can't fix it.

The installers for both XWAUCP and DSUCP work fine on my system, the installer detects and installs with the CD version, Gog and Steam

I'm running on Windows 7, if your running on Windows 10 sorry I can't help you, I've never tested either of the installers on anything higher than Win7.

Maybe, like I said you explain exactly what the installer is doing, and what your operating specs are I may be able to help or not!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

CIDlord_1973
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by CIDlord_1973 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:06 pm

First i installed to steam, and it works.
Then i tried to install to the cd version, but it didn't work...didn't detect the cd version.
I also tried to remove the steam version and install the upgrade to the cd version, but it didn't work...didn't detect the cd version.
So now i got both versions installed, steam and cd.
The reason why i have both versions installed is cause the steam version goes too slow, kinda laggie.
I think it's cause the steam version is no-cd.
I had the same problem with the old "no-cd patch" on the original cd game, so i removed it looong time ago.
So now i got installed both versions.
The steam version with your niiiice graphics, but too laggie.
And the old original cd version, not so cool graphics, but faster game.
Oh...i use windows 7 too.
I'm not a genius, i have no idea of programming.
But maybe (just maybe...) it's easy to fix, just adding the option to install by rute, like in the old times...you know..."programs/lucasarts/xwingalliance".
Btw, ty all for your work here.
You're our last hope. ;)

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:22 am

Both XWAUCP and the DSUCP get the path to XWA from the registry.

If you've installed the Steam version then, you HAVE to select the Steam version in either of the installers

It sounds as though you have installed the CD version of XWA, then installed the Steam version of XWA (which would have changed the path to the steam version of xwa), next you've installed either the DSUCP or XWAUCP to the steam version, as you said it worked fine.

Then you have tried to install either of the installers again, but you can only install it once, so the installer would have asked you to uninstall either of the installers first, which you must have done. Then you've tried to install either of the installers again, but this time you have selected the CD version in the installer and it didn't work correct?

It's because the path in the registry is still pointing to the steam version of XWA, and you've selected the CD version, the installers checks for different files which are associated with either the CD, Steam or GoG versions, if the installer doesn't detect these certain files for each different version of XWA (CD, Steam or GoG) the installer will report the error that XwingAlliance.exe not detected and it will ask you to install XWA again.

If you want to use the CD version of XWA then you will have to install it again so that the registry points to the correct path, then you will be able to install either of the Craft Packs to the corrct version of the game.

Either of the installers do warn to select the correct version of XWA or they won't install correctly.

Sorry but when used correctly the installers work perfectly fine, they get the path from the registry, so there is no need for any manual option to select the path to the game, that won't be changing anytime soon.

Oh just another warning, I mentioned the Registry, if your NOT familiar with the registry, DON'T start messing with it.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

fouched
Recruit

Post by fouched » Sat May 05, 2018 8:02 pm

For what its worth, I have GOG, tried with 1.4, did not work, but the new 1.5 does

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat May 05, 2018 9:13 pm

Yes this problem is fixed now, thank you
- John Lydgate