Imperial Star Destroyer V2 – Work in Progress

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Re: Imperial Star Destroyer V2 – Work in Progress

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:51 pm

Looking.... AWESOME!!!! :2thumbs:

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:48 am

So this looks absolutely amazing, and I love the level of detail on it.

But is it too late in the opting process to ask for a change to the model? Those baffles in the main engines shouldn't be there if this is the ISDII.

The baffles are present on the ISD-I, as seen on the model for ANH's Devastator, but they aren't present in ESB's Avenger model.

It's one of the key differences between the ISD-I and II, along with the comms array on the bridge tower, the number of barrels on the main guns flanking the terrace and the vanes on the shield generators/sensor globes.

It's not a dealbreaker by any means, but the rest of the details look so good. It would be a shame to not take the chance to make the model as accurate as possible.

If it's too late and would mean restarting all the opting again, I'll completely understand.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:54 pm

I had never noticed this before. Here, take my Imperial ID card.
Image Image Image Image Image

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:22 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:39 pm
A few updated WIP pictures courtesy of Driftwood.

1.png2.png3.png
Very good work, Ace.

After you're done with Type 2, will you update Type 1? Will it get the Axial Towers on the crest or is this engine not feasible (in Rouge One you can see the great ones)

theonegalen
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by theonegalen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:45 am

Gorgeous work yet again!

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:49 am

There has been some tweaking ... have you felt it?
Avenger.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:32 am

Sorry but i do not understand... isd batteries are all over the upper surface... and the heavies are nested in the 10 barbettes clustered around the back quarters. The front cone has mainly sensors and warheads tubes. It seems in the image that al laser firepower comes from that posirion instead o.o tipically isd firepower has ever been described as sheet over sheet of destructive energy, clicks wide and of an height of hundreds of meters (to compensate clasdical imperal unabilitý to aim, I suppose XD)

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:44 am

You'll have to take that up with lucasArts. They programmed the game so only the laser hardpoints closest to the target would fire. How many of those is determined by the weapon setup. In case of the ISD2, the maximum number of simultatneous shots is 10.

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:18 pm

I stand corrected, then. It is still a gorgeous model

the_stag
Rebel Alliance

Post by the_stag » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:51 pm

General_Trageton wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:44 am
You'll have to take that up with lucasArts. They programmed the game so only the laser hardpoints closest to the target would fire.
I wonder if that could be changed with a hook...

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:13 pm

It seems that the function that select the laser hardpoint is situated at address 00487FD0.

the_stag
Rebel Alliance

Post by the_stag » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:01 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:13 pm
It seems that the function that select the laser hardpoint is situated at address 00487FD0.
This guy... that's amazing. Now it just needs to be modified so that only certain turrets attack depending on ship type. Although there's a possibility that could disrupt balance. This is all way over my head.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:31 am

Although there's a possibility that could disrupt balance.
I was just about to say, people have already complained about balance, and if you change the way lasers fire there will be more - However, I would be interested in such a patch to go along with the 256 weapon patch (since I like the effect - makes the battles much more lively) and having ISDs fire "correctly" would just look awesome :)

Trev

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:59 am

Trevor wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:31 am
Although there's a possibility that could disrupt balance.
I was just about to say, people have already complained about balance, and if you change the way lasers fire there will be more - However, I would be interested in such a patch to go along with the 256 weapon patch (since I like the effect - makes the battles much more lively) and having ISDs fire "correctly" would just look awesome :)

Trev
I agree that this would be awesome, but that would require a massive overhaul of pretty much all missions that include any kind of warship in an active role. I would also love to actually get the game to not shoot at the center of the ship but to actually shoot at the closest part of the ship. Currently the SSD just pretty much cannot really be killed because it's so massive that any other ships has to fly over it for several klicks until it can even start shooting. (At which point it will have been destroyed anyways)
Bit it would be cool to see if this can be adjusted at all, it would certainly open up a whole lot of new possibilities.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:15 pm

I would also love to actually get the game to not shoot at the center of the ship but to actually shoot at the closest part of the ship.

Oh now I can imagine full broadsides al-la Ep3 going on where at first the noses start firing then as each ship passes more and more guns fire at each other targeting the closest "bounds" to them (rather than center)

but yeah, total overhaul of missions for that config.

I still want to know if that 6,000 craft video was real or somehow made up. if it were real imagine the possibilities (not actually using that number, but certainly having more than 29 craft in a region would be nice filler) and knowing laser counts are not limiting gameplay hahaha

Trev

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:56 am

I thought AlliED editor allows targeting components aka mesh types of a targeted ship when using attack orders but maybe that only applies to AI starfighters. If so, has anyone tested with nonflyable craft? Maybe I'm imagining that.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:55 pm

Bman, that would be scripted though, not AI.

The idea is that AI "deciding" to attack a craft will target its center AND perform calculations based on the center rather than the closest bounds.

Center certainly is easier and bounds requires more complexity - eg, if you target a corner of a bounds of an ISD you would miss because of the ISD's wedge shape.

But, despite that, it would be cool to have implemented and raising the componants gives me an idea to help simplify the issue, target the nearest component center.

Trev

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:53 pm

Can you feel the rumbling? Of course not you are in space :D

ISD2over.png

Click here for a giant super size version, courtesy of General Trageton
https://i.imgur.com/H9rBkwN.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:49 pm

Looks good

Loving the model though, the detail is exquisite:)

Trev
Last edited by Trevor on Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:37 pm

Yup, knew it! The world is an ungrateful place. I utterly tore out my soul to improve on that bloody SWG model and people start complaining about textures not being 8k FFS! Thanks for ruining my evening!

And themini ISDs on the debris result from the original using generic metal-like textures that had little to no visible details whatsoever.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:40 pm

………………..
Last edited by Trevor on Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:29 pm

UV mapping is more efficient use of texture memory and organizational resources. Obviously that didn't really exist in 99. The larger the texture resolution combined with number of textures slows stuff down. And easier to work with.

Thbbbt.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:52 am

Driftwood wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:29 pm
UV mapping is more efficient use of texture memory and organizational resources.
You realise that "UV mapping" happens with any model that has textures? :irre:

I Think what you meant was "Texture atlas". ;)

Though, and this is my point, a texture atlas is best used in...
In an application where many small textures are used frequently, it is often more efficient to store the textures in a texture atlas which is treated as a single unit by the graphics hardware. This reduces the overhead of a context switch by increasing memory locality. Careful alignment may be needed to avoid bleeding between sub textures when used with mipmapping and texture compression.
So, Large textures don't need to be on an atlas if they are themselves capable of using most of the texture space themselves - eg, a repeating/mirrored/clamped texture.

Anyway, I'll not derail the topic farther with texture theory, every modeler has their own method.

Trev

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:24 am

Trev, I think you are overestimating what the XWA engine can do. Just look at the rest of the project. GT's SD is among the best there is, but he still has to work within XWA's limitations, even if things are a little better with the new hooks. Everyone's pushing the game to the limit, but it's over 20 years old cut people some slack...

Talaris
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Talaris » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:37 am

I’m a new member here but a long time visitor to XWAUP. Just wanted to say General Trageton, you’ve done an amazing job on this Star Destroyer, best model released in my opinion so far!

Do you have plans to use this Imperial Class-II as a template for the Class-I? I look forward to viewing and testing your upcoming releases. Keep up the great work!