Do you have what it takes?

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Re: Do you have what it takes?

ca.tchoup
Recruit

Post by ca.tchoup » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:31 am

Hi everyone!
I've been watching this project for years, and I check back here every time I reinstall XWing Alliance to quench my insatiable thirst of SW Space Sim! :P
Wow you've done such a great job so far! Congratulations! All the more so the project seems still active after all these years!
I've got some Photoshop skills that need to be exploited and I'd really like to help! :^^:
If you'd like to, I could give a try on one of your untextured models and do my best.
And maybe I'll try to do some models if I can get the rust off my modelling skills.

Millenniumfalsehood
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Millenniumfalsehood » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:22 am

I'm a pretty good modeler and a not-bad-but-I-need-practice texture artist. I would love to contribute to the project, but I'm afraid the only program I have at my disposal is Metasequoia. It's a good program designed for game modeling, but I'm not sure if it will work for this project. If not, I'm sure there is a converter program out there somewhere to get it to the right file type.

Here are some examples of my work:

Moldy Crow

Weighted Companion Cube

Proton Torpedo

Do I have what it takes? I think so, but I'd like to hear other opinions of my work. I have no idea how to OPT a model, but it shouldn't be too difficult to learn.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:51 am

That looks pretty good. I'd say you could give it a try.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Seagulls
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Seagulls » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:01 am

One thing that I have been able to use to get different file formats is to download Blender and use it for file conversion. (I'm pretty sure that this is legal.)
If you can export an STL (for CNC Machines) or something else that blender supports, you can then export your file as a .dxf etcetera.

I hope this helps, and welcome to XWAUP!
Seagulls
Red 6
CRS Morning Star: Home of Red Squadron

"Now you're using that misfiring hunk of erratic machinery you refer to as a brain"-Ton Phanan. Pilot, Wit, Superior Intellect.

FunkyFreshMan
Rebel Alliance

Post by FunkyFreshMan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:22 pm

I guess this is the right place to post this.

I don't think anyone has started remaking the shipyard, so I thought I'd mess around with it and see what I could do.
Yes, I'm cheating by using the original TG model as a base, but all the untextured bits are the parts I've worked on so far. Likewise, the original textured parts—especially the hangars, bridge, and bracing arms—will all eventually be replaced.
shipyard_redux_03.jpg
shipyard_redux_02.jpg
Comments? Suggestions? Like I said, I'm just messing around with it and my texture skills are nowhere near perfect, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for a new model anytime soon. :P Just figured I'd see what kind of feedback I would get from the XWAU masters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRAF Nexus: "When Duty Calls"
Draar chayaikir batnor jetii—ancient Mandalorian proverb.
"We're gonna explode? I don't wanna explode!" —Jayne Cobb, Public Relations
I'm the guy who stole your sweetroll.

Dragon
XWAU Member

Post by Dragon » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:05 pm

Good start FFM. :up:
Face Count?
Every story has four sides to it: yours, the others, the truth and what really happend.
"You have failed me for the last time, Admiral."

FunkyFreshMan
Rebel Alliance

Post by FunkyFreshMan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:56 am

Dragon wrote: Face Count?
At the moment it's about 3700 tris.
NRAF Nexus: "When Duty Calls"
Draar chayaikir batnor jetii—ancient Mandalorian proverb.
"We're gonna explode? I don't wanna explode!" —Jayne Cobb, Public Relations
I'm the guy who stole your sweetroll.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:57 am

That's good so far, seeing the detail.

You might want to go at the hangars sometime soon. Seeing rectangular shapes makes me twitch :crazy4:
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

maxx2504
Recruit

Post by maxx2504 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi !

I work with 3DMAX and Photoshop and have made around 40 models for the Realflight RC Simulator. These models have up to 20000 triangles.

So...how can i import my own models into XWA ? Is there maybe a german homepage where i can find some tips ? I think about to make a Slave II (Pursuer Class).

How many triangles does a ship like this have for XWA ?

Maybe i can help you ? When u interested u can visit my homepage: http://maxxg5.jimdo.com/

German: Gibt es hier auch deutsche leute die schon Modelle für XWA gemacht haben ? Wenn ja bräuchte ich mal so eine Art Tutorial. Ich habs nicht so mit dem Englischen vor allem bei Tutorials... :/

maxx
Trying is better than Dying !

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:20 pm

maxx, the main program used to convert models to the format used by XWA is OPTech, which can be found on Darksaber's site (should be in the "File Archive" somewhere).
Wildstar, Red 2 (XO) (Ret.)

Not the Wildstar that authored IMCGen.

Marco Antonio
XWAU Member

Post by Marco Antonio » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:59 pm

you could also read the OPT Creatinon Guide in the XWA Expasion Guide website:
http://www.btinternet.com/~jmdare
my WIP:
Derylin Platform - Modelling-100% Mapping-10%

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri May 27, 2011 12:03 am

So has anyone who posted here got any further in their projects or have anything to submit or show us yet?
I'm afraid all people can do is help and point in the right area to learn. No one has the time to guide from start to finish. It's Do or Do Not.

Also we aren't just going to give out any unfinished stuff for people to work on. Besides there isn't a hangar full of half done opts anyway.
Show us what you can do on an existing ship or make a new one. Whether its just retexturing an original X-Wing or making something new. You don't even have to know how to apply the textures but at least show us comparisons from new to old.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

FellSkyhawk
Cadet 1st Class

Post by FellSkyhawk » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:27 am

Imperial Research Station I saw was open and finally I've been able to make models that are actually better than X-wing alliance, (before this all my stuff was almost or just as good, which aint saying much but now I'm making better models)... I think this sentence got away from me here....

Anyway, I'm still working on the pieces. I'm not the best texture artist, I can as good as X-wing Alliance textures, which is again not saying much, but I don't know when next I will get to it. However when I finish the model I need someone to opt it and to texture it.

Currently this is in maya, which I have access to thanks to my school, and will be exported to an OBJ, I can use Blender then to make it 3DS or any thing it export it as.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/N ... directlink
\/'
(>{}{}{]}H[]{=======Fell Skyhawk==========-

Never give up on a friend, never surrender to an enemy.

FellSkyhawk
Cadet 1st Class

Post by FellSkyhawk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:53 am

Does anyone have any critiques about the model I put a picture link of? Or maybe an idea of how I can make that stupid box on top look updated. :)
\/'

DanPapua
Galactic Empire

Post by DanPapua » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:28 pm

I am interested but need some Tutorial and explanation for what each program does. I am a noob at 3D modeling so advice would be welcome. :D
¡VIVA EL EMPERIO!
Danpaua

hangarbay94
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by hangarbay94 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:11 am

I've been re-working some of the ships from XWA for my web comic using Photoshop. I don't know whether my skills would be of any use to the modders but you can always PM me and I'll do what I can to help.
Lancer2.jpg
ART6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FellSkyhawk
Cadet 1st Class

Post by FellSkyhawk » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:17 am

hangarbay94 wrote:I've been re-working some of the ships from XWA for my web comic using Photoshop. I don't know whether my skills would be of any use to the modders but you can always PM me and I'll do what I can to help.
Lancer2.jpg
ART6.jpg
Woa... that's some nice work.
\/'

AlexGT
Recruit

Post by AlexGT » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:59 am

Hi my name is Alex,

i am an a 2D artist, graphic designer, web designer, texture artist and finally a 3D artist lol
I know it sounds a lot but i am not here to show off, it's just that i touch a bit of everything in the CG world, i started as a early age in drawing
and it took me to the 3D around my 30s, so i have been a professional graphic designer and i have draw many personal projects for myself.
So i dive in the 3D about 9 years ago but i never had the chance to get hired in the game business, sorry for my english at times, i am a french Canadian, so i made 2 demo reel to get hired in Montreal in the game industry but no one gave me a chance. So i would love to make some works for you guys, i made an X on that unachievable business cause now i am starting a plumber career hehehe more money than graphic design, anyway, i would like to help you guys on occasion in my spare time if you guys are interested in my services.
i think i am really good in textures and 3D modeling, i am using Maya and 3D Studio max, photoshop, etc... and you can view my website and demo reel here

My website:
www.alex-grant.com

My demo reel:
http://www.alex-grant.com/3D-demo.html

So i really hope to be a part of your team

Alex

themahi
Recruit

Post by themahi » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:13 pm

Fellow X-Wing/Tie-Fighter nerds,

First off...I’m so glad to have stumbled across this site. For far too long, I’ve hoped for a graphics fresh to any of the X-Wing series (although Tie-Fighter holds to the top spot in my heart). I’ve spent too much time here at work digging through the site and felt like I speak up and try to be part of it.

I’ve been a professional motion graphics / 3d artist for the past 13 years. You can check out my reel at http://youtu.be/STP-kDl7omE

I’ve attached some samples of higher-poly modeling that I’ve done outside of what’s in my reel. Through the work I’ve done, I could easily re-tool models that I create to have the necessary poly counts along with crisp, high res textures.

If there’s anyway that I could help out (take on one of the larger base models, for instance), I would absolutely love to take a crack at it...or hell, toss me a Nav Buoy.

I have a couple guys at the studio I work at (www.cakestudios.tv) that are rabid fans as well and who would jump at the chance, as well.

Lemme know...ready to rock.

Cheers,
-v
Flux.jpg
CORE.jpg

Griffin
Lieutenant JG

Post by Griffin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:22 am

:shock:

Hey hangarbay94, what is the URL of your web comic? Those images are terrific!

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Hey themahi,

great work there. Really like what you did and we sure appreciate any help. If you want to grab a model feel free to just pick any one that has no one attached to it yet:
http://www.xwaupgrade.com/progress.php
Though I do have to warn you, the hardest part about making models for XWA is the very limited engine. Poly counts are limited, so are texture counts and especially sizes. I am not a modeller myself so I can't give you the exact details, but be aware to think much, much smaller than anything you've done so far. (I do believe the max texture size is 256x256 for example)
But if you want to give it a try you are certainly more than welcome. Place has been fairly dead recently and it would be nice to see something new :)
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

themahi
Recruit

Post by themahi » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:03 pm

Thanks.

I was kinda afraid of that as I've crawled over the site. I take a look at the list and see what I could put together.

I'm guessing that there's just zero possibly of porting to a newer engine without a giant headache?

Thanks!

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:05 am

Forceflow wrote:I do believe the max texture size is 256x256 for example.
The max texture size is 256x256, and the max texture count is 200.
But I think I have found a way to break these limits (not fully tested).
I have tried an opt with 200 1024x1024 textures, and the game does not seem to complain.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:49 am

The maximum texture count is actually 100, maximum meshes is I think 49 and the maximum face count per mesh is around 200 to 300 but that mesh would need around 6 textures, otherwise you may get the infinite triangulation.

Textures are combinations of 16x16 pixels 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, which are all 256 colours

JeremyFr I don't know what planet your on, but an opt with 200 1024x1024 textures will simple crash the game, and how the hell, if this opt exist did you make it, because there are only 2 opting programs available Optech which will not allow 200 textures or 1024x1024 in size and Ace_DxF which no longer works on modern systems.

So unless you have come up with a new piece of software that will create opts for the out dated 16bit software engine which is XWA, I don't believe you!!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Darksaber wrote:JeremyFr I don't know what planet your on, but an opt with 200 1024x1024 textures will simple crash the game, and how the hell, if this opt exist did you make it, because there are only 2 opting programs available Optech which will not allow 200 textures or 1024x1024 in size and Ace_DxF which no longer works on modern systems.

So unless you have come up with a new piece of software that will create opts for the out dated 16bit software engine which is XWA, I don't believe you!!
I have attached a few opts to test in texture limits.
To create these opts, I have updated my opt reading dll and added writing feature.