XMOD vs. GOB

All things related to Ace's news sections, opts, missions or files.

Moderator: Ace Antilles

XMOD vs. GOB

Azza
Lieutenant JG

Post by Azza » Sat May 18, 2002 10:04 am

I'm not sure where to put this, so I hope you don't mind Ace Antilles...<P>For the Cataclysm Project, the distrubution method for it is going to have to be good. All the OPTs are going to be replaced, but I'm sure no-one wants to re-install all their own OPTs just to play our shipset.<P>To get around this, opening a GOB file in a shipset launcher extracts all the flight models and opts and missions to the xwingalliance directory, correct? So this will replace all existing OPTs, correct? So when you finish playing the shipset, you exit XWA and the shipset launcher, and the all the files that were extracted are deleted, correct? (leaving behind only a pilot file). SO this means that using a GOB file to distribute my shipset is going to be the easiest way to do it, correct?<P>When I used the landscape OPTs shipset Abolisher uploaded, I found that after I played, all the lanscape OPTs and sky opts were still in the flighmodels folder, and had actually replaced some of my installed OPTS! <B>So, in conclusion, GOBs are better than XMODs for distributing shipsets, correct?</B><P>PLease read through this a couple of times and give me your opinion.
Texturing the <B>XWAUP Hyper Bouy</B><P><I>(Its gonna blow your mind)</I>

Defiant
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Defiant » Sat May 18, 2002 11:29 am

This may sound stupid, but did you uninstall after you played? Support for deleting extraneous files has existed in XIS since version 2.2.

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Sat May 18, 2002 2:31 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><I>by Azza</I><BR>I'm not sure where to put this, so I hope you don't mind Ace Antilles...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If you would bother to read the forum descriptions, you'd know where to post this topic. Ace Antilles' Forum is restricted to, <B>"All things related to Ace's news sections, opts, missions or files."</B><P>Is your topic related to anything in this forum? No. Now, if you would bother to read the description for the <B>Editing</B> Forum, it says <B>"Need help editing the game? Check for help here!"</B> Understand? It's not that hard.<P>Why don't you show this community a little common sense (and courtesy) by posting in the correct forums.<P>I've never been a moderator, but I'm sure it's a real pain to keep moving off-topic and irrelevant threads all the time.
This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.<P><A HREF="http://abolisher.xwlegacy.net/" TARGET=_blank> Abolisher's Mission Command Outpost</A>

Gank
XWAU Member

Post by Gank » Sat May 18, 2002 3:48 pm

Azza, Abolishers right this isn't the place for asking this so keep it in the editing forum. If you've any doubts about xmod Defiant has a forum for questions on his site, I'll start a topic there for you. Sorry bout this Ace, please move or delete this.

Azza
Lieutenant JG

Post by Azza » Sat May 18, 2002 4:00 pm

Ohdear.... :( ....deepest regerets from the bottom of my heart. Please delete or move this topic then, AA. I just thought that most of the people who are most suited to answering my query hanged out here. My mistake. :( :confused:

Ace Knight 1
Commander

Post by Ace Knight 1 » Sun May 19, 2002 2:01 am

c'mon its not like he comited a mortal sin. You dont have to yell at him..
Now We've rewritten history.<BR>The one thing that we found out.<BR>The sweet taste of vindication.<BR>Just turns to ashes in your mouth.<P>Where do we go from here?<BR>And should we really care?<BR>The end is finally here,<BR>God have mercy...

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Sun May 19, 2002 2:50 am

<B>Azza</B> has already realized and his mistake and has taken steps to correct it. No need to start another "us vs. them" argument.<P>Thanks <B>Azza</B> :) <P>This thread started out in the wrong forum and now it is turning into useless drivel. Ace can do what he wants with this thread; I have no further reason to post in it.
This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.<P><A HREF="http://abolisher.xwlegacy.net/" TARGET=_blank> Abolisher's Mission Command Outpost</A>

Azza
Lieutenant JG

Post by Azza » Sun May 19, 2002 9:37 am

Thanks guys.<P>@Defiant: Yes, I DID unistall the xmod, but the files that were suppopsed to be uninstalled remained! GOBs do not do this, to my knowledge. Once you've played the shipset, everything returns to normal (á la EP1 shipset).

Defiant
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Defiant » Sun May 19, 2002 3:52 pm

I know how GOBs work. Guess what else, though? Here's an interesting concept: things can go wrong with GOBs, too. Sorry to spoil your day. I know, I know, the world isn't perfect.<P>Transferring to editing.