Need some help with a really old game!

All things related to Ace's news sections, opts, missions or files.

Moderator: Ace Antilles

Need some help with a really old game!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:53 am

Ok this is the first game I've brought that hasn't worked with Win XP. That's because it's from 1997 and not even Win 98 listed.<P>The game is <B>Nuclear Strike</B> by EA of Desert Strike series. It was only £5 so I thought why not! It won't run! :p<BR>Any help appreciated, patches, advice please?
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Master Toddy
Lieutenant

Post by Master Toddy » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:47 pm

Try using the other compatability modes. If that doesn't work, try building a machine to run just dos games (an old system) and it might work.
This is just my two cents.

Gringlas
XWAU Member

Post by Gringlas » Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:56 pm

I don't think, that a Geforce is Glide capable. That might be a solution to your problem.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:27 pm

Yes I've tried the other modes. Building a whole computer is a bit drastic isn't it?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gringlas:<BR><STRONG>I don't think, that a Geforce is Glide capable. That might be a solution to your problem.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's not actually a solution. Might be the problem though. If so how do I fix it?
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Ice Knight
Ensign

Post by Ice Knight » Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:30 am

You may have to 'down grade' windows. I have a game that will only work on windows 95. I have no idea why, but try windows 98 or 95.

Anakin Solo
Recruit

Post by Anakin Solo » Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:28 am

uh since it says it REQUIRES glide 2.42 it might be that its one of those games that were specifically designed/programmed to work with the first genration voodoo graphics cards, (such as "shadows of the empire", the first game ever to make full use f the voodoo1).<P>if that is so, you're fucked and have 5 bucks up the lobsters ass.

Staniol
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Staniol » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:24 pm

Yes, Solo is right, the main problem is glide.<BR>It was used only programming the 3dfx cards.<BR>But I think you should try a glide-d3d emulator, or so called wrapper. It converts the the 3dfx code to D3D on the fly.<BR>I've tried it and works....<P>Here is a link: <A HREF="http://www.smiff.clara.net/utilities/wrappers/index.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.smiff.clara.net/utilities/wr ... dex.htm</A> <P>Hope it helps.
Staniol

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:43 pm

Install the glide drivers. With WCP D3D will only work if you have glide installed. I'm running a TNT2 and I still have the drivers installed.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.