Planet Surfaces

All things related to Ace's news sections, opts, missions or files.

Moderator: Ace Antilles

Planet Surfaces

Master Qui-Gon
XWAU Member

Post by Master Qui-Gon » Thu May 01, 2003 11:01 am

Sorry Abolsiher I, just can't seem to come up with anything you can use. I'm stuck....I don't have any good ideas for a real type surface. Surface mapping seems to be the hardest thing I've tried yet. I can make really nice looking landscapes,but they are not tileable. Not saying I'm giving up........but there are a couple of things that I'm doing for other projects. If I come up with anything I'll send it.
Your focus determines your reality.

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Sun May 04, 2003 2:58 am

OK. The first surfaces that you sent were promising though. Are you having trouble making surfaces that are flat along the edges? Is that why you can't make anything tileable?<P>If that is the case, I suggest making a surface with at least two meshes. Make one mesh a flat square and then make hills and mountains as separate meshes and place them on the flat mesh surface. That way you'll have flat edges that make the surface tileable.
This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.<P><A HREF="http://abolisher.xwlegacy.net/" TARGET=_blank> Abolisher's Mission Command Outpost</A>

VeritechCEO
Ensign

Post by VeritechCEO » Mon May 05, 2003 3:04 pm

Abolisher, while we are on the topic of surface opts here, Draco has been trying to make a surface opt for me. It's basicly a desert surface with a big lake in the middle. The problem is he is having trouble "tileing" it, and I was wondering if you would like to help out with it, or is that somthing Flavid is best suited for?
What!?!? SDF-1 Destroyed the Death Star! We're out of here!
Veritech R&D Facility
The OPT Vault

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Tue May 06, 2003 12:39 am

Do you have a screen shot of the surface?<P>As far as tiling is concerned, just tell Draco to select all of the faces that he wants to apply a texture to in OPTech. Then select the desired texture and click the "top/bottom" button. That will stitch the texture across the selected faces. Then click the "multiply" button to tile the texture. Each time this button is clicked, the number of times the texture is repeated or tiled increases. If you tile it too many times, just click the "magnifiy" button to reduce the number of tiles until you like how it looks.
This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.<P><A HREF="http://abolisher.xwlegacy.net/" TARGET=_blank> Abolisher's Mission Command Outpost</A>

Atx
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atx » Tue May 06, 2003 1:16 am

Just got my capture card working again and wouldn't mind taking out the camcorder tomorrow for some shots....if you post up here quick enoug I might be able to capture a library of shots for you guys to use..a one time offer only!!!!! ;)
The Navbuoy is closed...long live the XWAU!!!

Draco429
Commander

Post by Draco429 » Tue May 06, 2003 8:42 pm

Thanks, Abolisher!!!
Eclipse

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Wed May 07, 2003 12:53 am

Atx, thanks for the offer. I've got my own digital cam now and already have a backlog of pictures to turn into textures.<P>However, if you shoot something very interesting or unique that you think might be useful, let me know. :)

Draco429
Commander

Post by Draco429 » Wed May 07, 2003 11:58 pm

Abolisher, you wouldn't happen to know how to select a ton of faces at once in OPTech, would you?
Eclipse

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Thu May 08, 2003 1:34 am

If you're going to select a lot of faces at once, it is best to select them from the list rather than clicking faces on the model. Hold the Ctrl key down as you click on faces in the face list and you can select whichever and as many as you like.<P>If you want to tile across faces in different meshes, use the Ctrl key to select more than one mesh. Then go to the face list and you will see faces from all the selected meshes in the list. Select whatever faces you want as before.

Draco429
Commander

Post by Draco429 » Thu May 08, 2003 11:14 pm

Oh. Duh. Yeah, there it is. Thanks.
Eclipse

WarHawk107
Ensign

Post by WarHawk107 » Sun May 11, 2003 12:33 am

now how do you flip all the backwords faces at once? ;)

Mouse
Ensign

Post by Mouse » Sun May 11, 2003 4:56 pm

Just select <I>all</I> the faces in the list. (<B>shift</B>+<B>end</B>) Then reverse vertex order.<BR>What, you didn't know that? :) ;)<p>[ 11 May 2003: Message edited by: Mouse ]
Did I say that?