Battle of Yavin shipset OPTs

All things related to Ace's news sections, opts, missions or files.

Moderator: Ace Antilles

Battle of Yavin shipset OPTs

VeritechCEO
Ensign

Post by VeritechCEO » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:40 pm

I've heard this shipset is on hold, if not terminated. Do either you or Abolisher plan to release the opts that were/are intended for this set, Ace Antilles?
What!?!? SDF-1 Destroyed the Death Star! We're out of here!
Veritech R&D Facility
The OPT Vault

Master Qui-Gon
XWAU Member

Post by Master Qui-Gon » Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:04 am

Abolisher had said he would include these in the Ashgard Campaigns but he is having problems with Allied he isnt doing any missions.......The one I guess I was waiting for Mos Eisley Spaceport. I believe there is an atmospheric project that the opts will be in.
Your focus determines your reality.

TIMMAY
Ensign

Post by TIMMAY » Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:34 am

Well there is just a normal Mos Eisley that Abolisher and I made on his site. And if you do it right in Allied you can make quite a huge city by placing the blocks together.
<A HREF="http://www.ehnet.org/mb/viewforum.php?f=122" TARGET=_blank>Imperial Alliance</A>

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:17 am

Completed OPTs for the Yavin Shipset:<P>Yavin IV and Tatooine surfaces<BR>Sky<BR>Mos Eisley City Block (with destructable buildings)<BR>Mos Eisley Spaceport<BR>Massassi Temple<P>Desired OPTs, but not necessary:<P>3 Death Star surface OPTs (one generic surface with buildings, one with a trench i the middle, and one with the trench leading to the exhaust port.<P>An real deflection tower.<P>I would OPT these, but models are needed. <P>The reason for the Death Star surface OPTs is that Hernan's Death Star, while a great accomplishment for the XWA engine, just does not do justice when flying close to it over the surface.<P>Progress recently made:<P>In the Ashgard mission, "Evacuate Emerald Outpost Facilities" you now get to land on Tatooine at the end of the mission. The mission, "Escape from Tatooine" and "Escape from the Death Star" are done and now both include atmospheric flight on Tatooine and Yavin IV repectively. The "Battle of Yavin" mission needs to have the Yavin IV surface, sky, and Massassi temple added to it. I don't know if I will attempt this with the trial version of AlliED or not.<P><B>Timmay</B>, do you still have the Chandrilla city block that you made for me awhile back? I lost it even though I tried to back up everytthing on my old computer. If you still have it, and are still interested, would it be possible to increase the number of buildings a bit and send it to me again? The original had too few buildings on it. To make the job easy, you can just multiply the existing buildings without making new ones. Thanks.
This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.<P><A HREF="http://abolisher.xwlegacy.net/" TARGET=_blank> Abolisher's Mission Command Outpost</A>

TIMMAY
Ensign

Post by TIMMAY » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:46 am

I do have them, And I Actually thought about getting back on to them as well, I also still have the TurboLaser Turrent which just needs texturing which im going to give a go, also I have a Shield Generator like the Rebels used on Hoth which again needs textures which again, im going to attempt :D
<A HREF="http://www.ehnet.org/mb/viewforum.php?f=122" TARGET=_blank>Imperial Alliance</A>

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:20 pm

Okay Abolisher, will these do?<P> ;)
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:31 pm

Did somebody call for a turbolaser? :D<P> Image <P>It's 238 faces, but I'm I can do something about that - if you want it!
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

TIMMAY
Ensign

Post by TIMMAY » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:35 pm

You should leave the Turbolaser like it is, its a low face count and it looks good. Plus the Death Star surface was full of Turbolaser Turrents, so you wouldn't want something thats like 1500 faces all over the sufrace.

Master Qui-Gon
XWAU Member

Post by Master Qui-Gon » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:29 am

The models for the towers and exhaust port are attainable from xwing95. I know the texs arent as good but with a little work? possibly importing to one single opt to tile is the surface opt with lasers,trench bridges,this also would be the only way to really have the death star surface guns fire at you with the hardpoints ont the surface. I have converted all the models in the list file from xwing95 for the dstar surface mission trying to recreate the original but up to XWAUP specs. P.S. I know this is another thread but abolisher are you emailing troy at the hotpop address? he should answer.

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:07 am

Actually, no, you wouldn't get realistic guns if you put the gun hardpoints on the surface, as you have to be within turbolaser range, which is calculated from the <B>center</B> of the OPT, so only the central turbolasers would fire, that was the problem with Hernan's Death Star :D

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:17 am

<B>Vince</B>, That turbolaser is fine the way it is. <B>Go ahead and send me the model and I'll start on it</B> :) Is the turret one mesh? It will need to be for it to rotate.<P><B>Rich</B>, you have the right idea, but the tiles have to be much bigger or they'll each up too many of the 96 craft limit in a mission. Perhaps more like 10x10 or 15x15 km. The exhaust port needs some work too. I think a picture of both the exhaust port and the death star surface, showing building detail would be nice here for Rich to go by. What would be ideal is for there to be box, rectangle, and pyramid-shaped buildings on the surface, each being separate meshes. That way, the buildings can be made destroyable and my experience with the Mos Eisley city block says that it works <B>well</B>. I'll show some pics of the destruction when I get a chance.<P><B>Timmay</B>, glad to hear that you'll be working in things :).<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>by Rich C.<BR>Actually, no, you wouldn't get realistic guns if you put the gun hardpoints on the surface, as you have to be within turbolaser range, which is calculated from the center of the OPT, so only the central turbolasers would fire, that was the problem with Hernan's Death Star <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, that's not quite accurate. I think that conclusion was drawn by Hernan and perhaps it was some other problem that he overlooked. I decided to test this theory and added TurboEmpireLasers to every vertex and face of the Death Star surface and they fire fine! I actually had lasers in the trench too, but there was no way to fly in there without getting vaporized, so now I just have them near the edge.<P><B>Master Qui-Gon </B>, do you have a working DS surface from Xwing95 in XWA? If so, could you post some pics?
This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.<P><A HREF="http://abolisher.xwlegacy.net/" TARGET=_blank> Abolisher's Mission Command Outpost</A>

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:10 am

ok, I stand corrected on that :)

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:27 am

Alright, <B>Abolisher</B>, check your e-mail!

Master Qui-Gon
XWAU Member

Post by Master Qui-Gon » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:09 pm

I've been spending my time converting all of the opts in the list file but surface is an act file, I believe so I'll try to recreate it today.

Master Qui-Gon
XWAU Member

Post by Master Qui-Gon » Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:12 am

Wasn't sure how to post screen shots but anyway I emailed the stuff to you Abolisher.

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:11 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><I>by Rich C</I><BR>...but it'd be nice to have an idea of what sort of facecount limit you're after.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm not too worried about face count as long as it will work in XWA. We will have to sacrifice building detail due to the size. There will be one large flat face for the surface base and each square and rectangular building will have only 5 faces for example. A pyramid-shaped building will have only four. A few buildings can have more detail. Let's wait a short while though and see what comes of the Xwing95 model with <B>Master Qui-Gon</B><P>BTW, <B>Master Qui-Gon</B>, I got your E-mail too, but there were no attachments.<P><B>Vince</B>, I got your E-mail but I think you forgot to attach the turbolaser model. There was no file attached.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:21 am

<B>ARGH!</B> OK, check again!

Master Qui-Gon
XWAU Member

Post by Master Qui-Gon » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:58 am

I don't mean to get off topic but abolisher, can email with the program you use to capture your screenshots in XWA, also need instructions on to post in forum. I have 3 tiles made along with base (landscape textured with DStar texs. By Monday should have something more complete.

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:05 am

I don't have a "program" to capture screenshots. I just hit the "print screen" key, exit XWA, open MS paint and paste the image in there. Then I save it in JPEG format.<P><B>Rich</B>, did you say earlier that you lost the Hover Train model? If so, would it be possible for you to remake it? If you can/will do this, please make three separate models, one locomotive, one cargo car and one missile/laser turret car. Also, we'll need a rail tower too. If you can provide those models, I'll take car of the rest :)<P><B>Vince</B>, check your mail, I OPTed the turret plus another smaller turret that I made from your model. :)<P>[edit]Oh, <B>TIMMAY</B>, did you ever get your forum working? I think that a forum for my site would be handy for the XWAAE.[/edit]<p>[ 08 February 2003: Message edited by: Abolisher ]

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:27 am

Yes, unfortunately I lost the train, track tower and tank droid, I'll see what I can do about remaking them ;)

TIMMAY
Ensign

Post by TIMMAY » Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:51 am

<B>Abolisher</B>. I did get it working, but i just took it down to remake my site, but it will take me about 5 mins to reupload it and set it up :D

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:05 pm

OK, just had a few minutes spare and built that deflection tower.<BR> Image <BR>Here's a reference pic(from Lucasarts)<BR> Image <BR><B>Abolisher</B>, check your mail again. I've sent the DXF to you so you can have a look!

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:16 pm

Yes, that pic also makes a nice reference for what a Death Star surface OPT should look like. Nothing fancy, just a bunch of rectangular buildings of various shapes, sizes and proportions.<P><B>Rich</B>, you might save that picture if you are still interested in making the Death Star Surface OPTs. However, I'd say for now that the Hover Train is the priority. That's what I'd like to OPT next, or at least very soon.

Master Qui-Gon
XWAU Member

Post by Master Qui-Gon » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:29 am

Ok, Abolisher I sent you the opt file and two shots on the DStar surface. The texs are original.the face count came out to be like 1048 and I still want to add more detail. If needed I have the allied .fgp it was I think 30 tiles at 30 km. each. I'm sure it can be enlarged but i like hi res so i'm working on 30km. scale. I'm going to work on the trench this week. I guess I have decided to undertake this task so I'll do the DStar Surface. Rich...Please do the train again....I like the two towers in this post. I would like to use them. If you can send them to me, owners of models ever sent to me will only be used with permission and credit give to them. I want to check scaling of the towers to match with my gun turrets. All the models from xwing-95 are completed and I have redone the base.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:53 pm

Rich, that was my idea about setting them as sats, nothing to do with the ICP.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.