Open War: OOC

to immortalize all those epic battles we fought together...

Re: Open War: OOC

squarehead93
Lieutenant
Bounty Hunter

Post by squarehead93 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:48 pm

Hmm.. .Good point. Maybe table the idea of Mandalorian-trained Imperial commandos? I liked the idea and the new character I created, but I suppose they can wait, maybe until the next battle. I'll edit my post but hold my ideas.
Wielder of The Spatula

Will T
Lieutenant Commander
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:50 pm

General_Trageton wrote:Uh? Didn't Pitto just tell Tyvis to retreat?
He did :nosmile: .

My plan was to mass the remaining Mando forces, throw in Pitto's fleet, Illion's Fleet and a chunk of the (massive) Bastion defence fleet, wait until Shiromy had returned to more Empressy duties, and then retaken Mandalore in one swift stroke, before moving on to retake other Mando territories and squashing the Mando 'rebels', then siccing the Mandos on the ESS while the Imps retreat to the comfort of their space. And all the while, Darron would have been on the line feeding the combined fleets information on the ESS' tactics and vessels.

Oh, and thanks to the few Predators in Imperial posession, they were going to come up with effective tactics for combating them.

Ah well, not sure I have enough time for a big post anyway. Got exams tomorrow, and I'm out partying them off my mind until Sunday :D .

EDIT: Argh, Squarehead got in before me. Most of my post still stands though. Oh, and not to rain on your parade, but I consider Imperial Commandos FAR better trained than ANY Mandalorian, and certainly better equipped.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

squarehead93
Lieutenant
Bounty Hunter

Post by squarehead93 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:23 pm

@Will T: Not going to get into a huge debate on that point, but consider that mandalorians are basically bred soldiers who come from a culture that loves war, whereas imperial troops, although receiving the best military training in the galaxy, are mostly volunteers and conscripts. You figure there are still some things they could learn due to different training methods. The Empire emphasizes precision and loyalty, but not a whole lot of focus on your own thoughts, because that could lead to "malfunctioning" soldiers who abandon the fight, question ideals, or question orders. The Mandalorians teach that while you shouldn't question orders, your instincts are important. They value resourcefulness, fighting spirit, and doing whatever it takes to accomplish a mission. Plus, they can be a bit suicidal.

Keep in mind that the Republic's clone army, which would later become the Imperial army, was based off and trained by a Mandalorian!
Wielder of The Spatula

Will T
Lieutenant Commander
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:36 pm

You are talking about stormtroopers there, and you're entirely correct. But commandos are not only trained better than anyone else in the Empire (and by extension, the galaxy) they are trained as a TEAM. An individual Mandalorian may well be better than an individual commando, though only the best of the Mandos I would say (given a lack of standardised training and focus on individual merit), but a commando team is worth far more than the sum of its parts.

Consider this, the Imperial (Storm) Commandos came out of the Republic Commandos, they would have learnt their lessons from them, improved oon Republic training and have the benefit of experience to ensure they are better than their predecessors (that's just how training works), and of course the Clone Commandos were trained by the best of the Mandalorians, but trained to be better than them. Thus, your average Storm Commando would be far superior to your average Mandalorian. That's just the way it is.

Besides, if all Mandalorians really were as capable as Storm Commandos, with their numbers they should have easily conquered the galaxy.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

squarehead93
Lieutenant
Bounty Hunter

Post by squarehead93 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:06 pm

@G_T: Good luck trying to have Shiromy convince the mandos to surrender by force. You know what does seem to always motivate Mandalorians don't you? :cash:
Maybe you could have Shiromy entertain them with promises of them being made the elite guard of Emperor or something. If you don't like that idea, you could just make it so that once they agree, believing her, the ESS slaps some stun cuffs on all of them and takes them prisoner.

@Drake: You can do that, but I was hoping you'd have David take out the jamming device while Xiana's wing takes out the bombers. I know that David could easily wipe the bombers out of the sky singlehandedly, but Xiana needs something to do, and she can't find a hidden jamming beacon while flying.

@Will T:The mandalorians were all but wiped out before Storm Commandos even existed, about 30 years BBY. As for training, I think that yes, Imperial Commandos most likely do receive better training, but their philosophy of operation is different from that of the Mandalorians. While Republic Commandos may have trained the Storm Commandos, they function differently from the Repcoms. (Repcoms mostly operated in squads of 4, with each member having an area of specialty. I don't think that's how Navy Commando squads are set up) Also, much of the mandalorian influence has probably been lost in the transition. Clone commandos were trained firsthand by mandos. They even knew a little bit of the language and a decent amount of the culture, including philosophy of war. I think that the way Repcoms operated was a lot similar to the way the Mandos would, compared to the storm commandos. Of the things that were probably passed on from the republic commandos and ARCs to the Storm Commandos. After Order 66, most of the clones grew less attached to people who weren't part of the regular military and their ideals (Jedi Generals and Commanders, Mandalorian trainers, etc.). It had little place in the new Empire. So, I think that many of the benefits gained by the Repcoms from the Mandos were lost when the Repcoms trained the Storm Commandos. I'm not saying that you'd need commandos who can sing in Mandalorian, but there are real benefits.
Look at like this:
Storm Commando:
Highly trained Imperial soldier, usually a soldier who was chosen from the infantry because he was better from the rest. Retains same blind loyalty and discipline of stormtroopers, and then some, but functions at a higher level. Deadly on his own, but works best in group. When in doubt, rely on training and orders. You already know all you need to. Fight with their minds. (Devotion is more of a drilled habit)

Mandalorian:
Comes from culture with a natural love for war. While typically not receiving the high-end military training, they receive unique cultural combat mentoring that you just can't get at any military academy. Can completely function on his own and still far more deadly than your average thug, and in groups they could topple planetary governments and crush large criminal syndicates and planetary militias. Willingness to track prey across the galaxy if necessary. When in doubt, rely on training and instinct. You can read a situation like most can't, and can react in ways others couldn't. Fight with their hearts.

Mando-Trained Storm Commando (Theoretical):
Same advanced training of regular Storm Commando. Same fanatical love and devotion to the Empire. More love of fighting for said Empire, and fighting period. While each one is a walking textbook, they also are trained to think on the fly and use additional knowledge and senses if no textbook solution quite fits. Fight with their hearts and minds.

Phew! Guess I'm feeling like a little bit of a nerdy windbag today! ;)
Wielder of The Spatula

General_Trageton

Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by General_Trageton » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:10 pm

well, yeah. XD

As for Shiromy, she is kinda frustrated with those mandos. Wüst you suggest will do for vince. It won't take mucu more for shiromy to simply put them out of their misery once and for all.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's Design HQ | Vince T's X-Wing HQ

squarehead93
Lieutenant
Bounty Hunter

Post by squarehead93 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:19 am

Gaaaaaad! Let's just finish this thing! I have I lot of awesome ideas that would fit better in the next battle. In the closer future, I have a post coming up.
Wielder of The Spatula

Drake26
Lieutenant JG
Bounty Hunter

Post by Drake26 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:30 am

@ squarehead: I would have him do that, but he doesn't know theres a jamming device. He didn't bring a comm, and no ones mentioned being jammed near him. And the mandos might want to surrender, seeing as they're now stuck in the middle if a magic garden/forest. You know, the kind where you could be following a gps and still find yourself walking in circles. I wouldn't advise trying to blast your way out either. :D
Proud owner of the Almighty Frying Pan of Hugeness (Doom) or AFPoH(D)

Mako
Lieutenant Commander
Bounty Hunter

Post by Mako » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:29 pm

Sovereign, Sounds like a new battleship style. Or another Dominance class.
Power without perception is worthless and of no use.
Current WIP The Lost Fleet everything else is on hold.

squarehead93
Lieutenant
Bounty Hunter

Post by squarehead93 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:13 am

Yeah. Wasn't there a Sovereign-Class SSD? I think it's in the Crusade 3 craft pack, and maybe the UCP as well.
Wielder of The Spatula

General_Trageton

Post by General_Trageton » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:03 pm

Mako's close. The Severeign is sort-of a Dominance Mk2. It's stripped of the large ventral hangar complex and instead has a 'solid' bow like other SSDs have, more a battlecruiser than a fleet carrier.

squarehead93
Lieutenant
Bounty Hunter

Post by squarehead93 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:44 pm

Ooh. Is that a hint of a new WIP?
Wielder of The Spatula

General_Trageton

Post by General_Trageton » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:29 pm

Well, I might make that one, but so far I haven't started on it yet, got enough WIPs in the pipeline already.

Mako
Lieutenant Commander
Bounty Hunter

Post by Mako » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:29 am

WIPs in the pipeline. I know all about that. I need to add two more WIPs to my signature because I'm redesigning the Shinru.,There's the Cruiser GT and I are working on, then there's the Republic destroyer I've started on, and I've re-designated the Raven strike fighter as the Dragon. Wait there's also the model for Coalition Foundries that I did. Now that I thionk about it I've got another ten models being worked on. All of which just need textures and OPTing

General_Trageton

Post by General_Trageton » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:07 pm

I made an update to my last post, adding two new paragraphs regarding Mryna and Jack, I think we should spice things up there ;)

General_Trageton

Post by General_Trageton » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:58 am

I'll be off over the weekend, so here's a little something from my side to round things up :)

squarehead93
Lieutenant
Bounty Hunter

Post by squarehead93 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:16 pm

Alright. That means one more post to wrap things up from my side.
Wielder of The Spatula

squarehead93
Lieutenant
Bounty Hunter

Post by squarehead93 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:59 pm

K. Got my final post up a few days ago. New battle soon? Hello? Anyone home? :?
Wielder of The Spatula

Mako
Lieutenant Commander
Bounty Hunter

Post by Mako » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:31 pm

Give it a month or so then a new battle will start.

Drake26
Lieutenant JG
Bounty Hunter

Post by Drake26 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:36 am

I'm more or less wrapped up for now. I thought about adding something more with David, but decided to leave it for now.

squarehead93
Lieutenant
Bounty Hunter

Post by squarehead93 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:49 pm

*Starts looking for a way to entertain himself for roughly a month in the absence of an active battle thread. Decides to hit Drake with spatula....*
Wielder of The Spatula

General_Trageton

Post by General_Trageton » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:33 am

One last post from me to round things up with Jack and Mryna. I just couldn't let you get away with that pale-faced look of Mryna, given her background as a top ace fighter pilot....

Drake26
Lieutenant JG
Bounty Hunter

Post by Drake26 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:44 am

With his skill level and reaction times, a very capable ship, and Harmony to back him up, he can pull stunts the even the must gung-ho pilots haven't even dreamed of. And as it all happened very fast with no warning, I figured she would be at least a little taken aback.

General_Trageton

Post by General_Trageton » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:35 am

You don't become the Emperor's hand and grand executor of the ESS if you let yourself be impressed by anything. XD

And Mryna already knows what a showoff jack is :D

General_Trageton

Post by General_Trageton » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:57 pm

so ... we're done with this one?

Requesting permission to archive this battle ;)