Star wars: Armada

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Star wars: Armada

K_Kinnison
Rear Admiral (Lower Half)

Post by K_Kinnison » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:53 am

Fantasy flight games, who have come out with a new SW RPG, a miniatures game (X-wing mini), is now going bigger with Star wars armada

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... ?eidn=4979

Looks really good.

at this scale, the Executor would still be about 8 feet long
Currently working on an XWA campaign
XWAU Plank holder
XWAU Team official Poker

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:29 pm

I'm going to get this. I recently picked up X-Wing.

It's too fun.

What I don't like is that the stupid parent company can't keep up with the demand for their product so it's hard to find the expansions. AND their new expansions are months and months behind their projected quarterly releases.

What a problem to have.
"TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE BUYING OUR PRODUCT FAST ENOUGH WE CANT KEEP RETAILERS STOCKED." Corporation - This is awesome.
"WE CANT BUY MORE STUFF BECAUSE THEY ARENT MAKING IT FAST ENOUGH" Consumer - This sucks.

Even the internet retailers are having a bad time with stock. I'm seeing Y-wings on sale for like twenty bucks and falcons for fifty.

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:27 pm

I saw this at GenCon, but was too busy to look into it extensively. I wonder if they'd be interested in some of our guys making 3D models for them. But I guess they're probably good on talent...

K_Kinnison

Post by K_Kinnison » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:41 pm

I don't think they need help with the models. From what I hear they are able to get 3-D scans of the original models and then make the miniatures out of that.
XWAU Plank holder
XWAU Team official Poker

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:44 am

They're not limiting themselves to stuff from the movies. I know X-Wing has a TIE Defender, HWK, etc.. :)

K_Kinnison

Post by K_Kinnison » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:26 am

The game has hit the shelves!

Also it looks like the wave 1 expansions will arrive on the shelves late april/early may

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... our-fleet/

Victory -class Star Destroyer Expansion Pack
CR90 Corellian Corvette Expansion Pack
Nebulon-B Frigate Expansion Pack
Assault Frigate Mark II Expansion Pack
Gladiator -class Star Destroyer Expansion Pack
Rebel Fighter Squadrons Expansion Pack (A, B, X, and X-wings)
Imperial Fighter Squadrons Expansion Pack (TIE/A, TIE/Int, TIE/In, TIE bomber)

Wave 2 might include an ISD, and M-80 (wingless) Cruiser. These will be the "biggest" ships in the game with a slightly bigger base
XWAU Plank holder
XWAU Team official Poker

Gank
XWAU Member

Post by Gank » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:27 pm

looking at that imperial raider design i'm guessing talents in short supply. we need an imperial ship, lets stick tie wings on a star destroyer. Also 20$ for a 4cm corvette model? bit expensive

K_Kinnison

Post by K_Kinnison » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:47 am

11038570_10153183633582182_11066429238653777_n.jpg
They are grabbing ships from "Empire at War" game. The ship on the lower right is the Assault Frigate MKII. Looks hideous and often people are calling it a "Whale"

Yes it is a bit expensive, but the 4 cm model is more then just the model but all the pits needed to play the game. I figure when the game dies off, I can still have the Model to use in my RPGs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
XWAU Plank holder
XWAU Team official Poker

Thaeris
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Thaeris » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:42 am

The problem with specialty products are specialty prices. Tack on any charges because somebody somewhere owns licences, and you're only bound to pay more. At least these guys aren't Games Workshop! (Although, a WH40K version of Darth Vader would undeniably be awesome...)

I have to agree about the expansion ships as well - I can tolerate an Assault Frigate Mk.II, but I just can't support the Raider when a Lancer would have made far more sense - a Carrack would make sense, too. Rebellion would be a far better game to draw inspiration from than Empire at War in just about every regard as far as ships go.