Help request: what is the Skipray Blastboat armament in XWA?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Help request: what is the Skipray Blastboat armament in XWA?

AotrsCommander
Recruit

Post by AotrsCommander » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:49 pm

Okay... short question, long story...

For various reasons, I picked up TIE Fighter (CD collector's edition, naturally...) again last week, having found a place that told me how to get it running again. I have been having a jolly old time (it always was my favourite, sorry XWA...!) Anyhoo, it made me think it was about time I dug out my tabletop set of rules I wrote to basically emulate it, which I haven't played in... 13 years.
As I was digging my way through the old stats, I looked at the Skipray Blastboat and the wookiepeida and thought... "Is that right? These things sometimes get upgraaded or change, like the way the T/A and T/D stats should really be the proper ones from TIE, not the namby-pamby-don't-offend-the-rebbls-y XvT versions..." A google around, I couldn't for the life of me determine whether the XWA Skipray - which I based my stats on - actually had laser cannon turrets like it's apprently supposed in [Legends] canon. (The only canon that matters...!)

So, after a bit, I went, well, frag this, I'll just re-install XWA and check! Can't possibly be more difficult to get it work than TIE, right?

Ahahahaha! My naivite...

So, I followed all the instructions (and nearly going spare when I couldn't copy all the Wave files off CD 1 until I remembered I ought to steal them of CD 2 since, apparently one the CD file Wav files can't be read - something I now dimly remembered I found last time...) Got all the way in - and then found out from this forum that as I have an Nvidia GTX760 (which naturally, I bought for Star Citizen...) I can't basically play it on XP (where all my important stuff is), because Nivida hate old games and XP or something

Now, I do have a second HDD on this machine which is Win 7 (for the express purposes of polaying newer games on, e.g. the upcoming Star Citizen). However, after going through all that rigamole just basically to jump into a Skipray cockpit and check the weapons load, doing it all again seemed even dafter.

So instead, I came here to ask if some generous soul who can play it currently, would, in the spirit of the season, just pop into a skirmish for five minutes (or possibly be able to tell me anyway, having played it more recently than me!) and confirm for me whether the Skipray:

a) does indeed have the lasers as turrets in XWA (which as I recall probably doesn't, but according to all the in-universe source, it should technically, so I need to decide whether it does or not for my tabletop game(s) and such.

b), Whether if, my blinding pressing W and clicking the fire button (and my old game stats) is correct in that I am registering that the Skipray has two (sets of?) warhead launchers in XWA and whether if so, they are single or dual-fire, and how many concussion missiles are in each.

(Certainly, I fired lasers, pressed W and then fired, heard I was firing ions, clicked W, fired and heard the sound of a missile discharge, clicked W again and heard the sound of a missile discharge, clicked W and was back to lasers.)

I would be very grateful if anyone can answer this, and save me from having to run through all the install again on my 7 drive (and then get out of 7 and back to my XP drive where my CADs packaage and all the record sheets are...!) to look up a couple of small points...!

(I mean, I'm only just getting into Battle 2 in TIE, I wasn't particualrly wanting to play XWA again... Yet!)

ZanElJOK
Rebel Alliance

Post by ZanElJOK » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:55 pm

I just hopped in to the Skipray. It is armed with 12 missiles with two launchers which can fire single or linked. Two laser cannons in what looks like a turret however the turret doesn't function. Three ion cannons arrayed vertically on each dorsal fin and one in the nose.
May the Force be with you all.

AotrsCommander
Recruit

Post by AotrsCommander » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:02 pm

Ace! Thank you very much!

On that basis, I reckon I will make the lasers a turret in my tabletop game, then (and chalk it up to XWA's slightly imperfect modelling (much in the same way as not having the S3 Y-Wing variant, which we didn't get in any of the series, I don't think - which might have actually made the Y-Wing slightly less laughable...!)