Rogue Squadron II Models (Proof of Concept)

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Rogue Squadron II Models (Proof of Concept)

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:33 am

I found someone who was able to convert an X-wing cockpit model from Rogue Squadron II into something usable in XWA. Only problem is, we can't apply the textures yet without XWA crashing, there are no designated S-foil meshes, and the field of view is too narrow. I had to set the point of view too far back into the cockpit to achieve a more natural forward view.

Any volunteers on helping to bring Rogue Squadron II into XWA? I'm more than happy to provide as many models and textures as possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The ability to create 3D models is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:04 pm

That's pretty awesome! Can XWA even handle the higher poly ship models? If it can that would be epic!
The textures for most of the detailed models in the game are a maximum size of 1024x1024. This A-Wing model from Rebel Strike has 15,928 Vertices and 25,718 Faces.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Q on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours."

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:54 am

Well, with some tweaking, I think that the vertices count can be drastically reduced without loss of quality, same with the textures. Problem is, I have had extreme trouble over the years with the extremely steep learning curve of 3D modelling programs such as Blender, 3DS Max or Maya.
I'm not willing to learn after so much time with such little progress to show for it.

I really only want to bring in the more widely seen craft from RSII, such as the X-, Y-, A- and B-wings, the TIEs, and the Falcon/Slave I. Everything else is fine as is with the current XWAUP craft pack. The RSII models just need some tweaking here and there to make them compatible.

...I just need help bringing these bold visions to fruition. It shouldn't be hard, seeing as this site has some of the best 3D modelling nerf herders I've seen.
The ability to create 3D models is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:11 am

JeremyaFr addressed some of these issues on the forums here some time ago. He found a way to patch the XWA .exe to allow for hi-res textures of 1024x1024 pixels up to 4096x4096 pixels. He also found a way to increase the textures from 8-bit to 32-bit. In addition he found the Total mesh limits for opts are 25,600 vertices. Total Vertices per mesh are limited to 512. Total Meshes per opt are limited to 50. I don't think reducing the polygons for the models is too difficult just time consuming. OR I could just use the lower detail models you see in-game while flying.

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:01 pm

Personally, I don't care how it's done, as long as it is, and as long as it looks good. Small details such as greeblies can be removed altogether, since usually their textures lie underneath against the main hull.

Choices like that could quite sufficiently reduce the amount of vertices. My question is, is there anyone out there who's willing to help me out with this?

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:10 pm

The in-game LOD model comes in at far fewer polys than the hangar/cutscene model. It has 3,077 Vertices and 4,624 Faces.
Last edited by Q on Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:13 pm

Have all of the in-game LOD starfighter models been ripped already? It may take me a good little while to rip them myself if they haven't been already.
But holy mackerel, that model looks utterly fantastic despite its low polygon count. What would we do for the cockpit models, however? There are most likely no low detail models for them, so they'll probably take some tweaking for compatibility.

bazr
Cadet 4th Class

Post by bazr » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:55 am

I brought that model in from blender fine, just divided it up into smaller meshes. Jeremy's opt editor was very useful and all the meshes and textures checked out fine in that, no errors. I've managed to get some textures in the game but it seems the original UV mapping as a whole is what the problem is and I don't think Jeremy's opt editor will pick up a UV mapping problem. I reduced the texture size from from 1024 to 256 and converted to 8 bit and it was still crashing. My uv mapping skills aren't that good but I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who can do it well.

As for the X-wing exterior that is actually 35000+ vertices as is many of the others and that's after removing doubled up vertices. You won't be able to divide the wing's mesh up easily without losing too much detail if you want the s-foils to work too since they have to be one mesh per wing it seems :(

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:21 pm

Well, any and all help on this would be appreciated.
If we could find someone who can figure this sort of thing out, that'd be perfect.

Darkblue
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Darkblue » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:31 am

Hey! There is some news about this ? It would be amazing to have this X-Wing cockpit.

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:51 pm

Darkblue wrote:Hey! There is some news about this ? It would be amazing to have this X-Wing cockpit.
Well, Darkblue, I'm trying to see if anyone would be willing to help import these models into XWA. Doesn't seem like anyone wants to help.
I can't do it myself, even though I've tried for the life of me. Why not help in asking around to see if someone would like to help with this? They are fantastic cockpits..

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:04 pm

I'm stuck!!! I've got the A-Wing in-game but anytime I go to the hangar screen the game crashes! If I load up a skirmish mission and fly the A-Wing it works fine! The .opt also has a problem with the wrong mesh being used for rotation. I wanted the head to rotate like you see on the XWAUP model but I'm not sure why the wrong mesh is being used. It has working flightgroup colors and 1024x1024 8bit (256 color) bitmaps and fully working hardpoints.

The files included in the package below are:
The .3ds models I used
The OPTech v1.1 .opz project files
The converted .opt files
The full 32bit textures if anyone wants to use them instead
Here is the download link to my project files:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jaiee ... A-Wing.zip
Last edited by Q on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:22 pm

In the Tech Room:
Last edited by Q on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:33 pm

What make you think you can use the XWAUP pilot and textures?

If you intend to replacing the XWAUP A-wing or any of the Rebel craft with these Rogue Squadron craft I suggest you use the pilot model from Rogue Squadron or get someone to scratch build you a new pilot

Don't think you can come along bastardise my opts to create something you think looks better!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:18 pm

Darksaber wrote:What make you think you can use the XWAUP pilot and textures?

If you intend to replacing the XWAUP A-wing or any of the Rebel craft with these Rogue Squadron craft I suggest you use the pilot model from Rogue Squadron or get someone to scratch build you a new pilot

Don't think you can come along bastardise my opts to create something you think looks better!
I understand how you feel. This is a "proof of concept", not a full release. I'm not seeking to supplant your work with my own "bastardization", I'm just trying to get it to work. I used your work as a reference to go about making a working A-Wing. I highly respect and appreciate your work Darksaber. It's because of you and many others anyone can even hope to create new content for XWA. I'll change out the pilot ASAP!

Rasalas
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Rasalas » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:59 pm

Q wrote:I wanted the head to rotate like you see on the XWAUP model but I'm not sure why the wrong mesh is being used.
The head needs to be the 5th mesh to make it rotate, just like in the original exterior opt.

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:45 am

That looks fantastic! Just be careful not to incur the wrath of Darksaber... my goodness, I've never seen someone with that kind of a temper before. I mean, jeez...
I digress. Not sure how to help with that problem, though. One thing stands out to me, however... is it possible to remove some of the details on the craft to optimize performance? A lot of the small details on the craft are unnecessary.

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:03 am

iteachvader wrote:One thing stands out to me, however... is it possible to remove some of the details on the craft to optimize performance? A lot of the small details on the craft are unnecessary.
Of course! You can always remove any details you don't want and optimize various parts. I've already optimized the model a bit by removing most of the very small greeble details and deleting unseen faces. As it stands currently the model has 11,494 Verts and 18,574 Faces (pilot included). Compare that to the original model with 15,928 Verts and 25,718 Faces (pilot not included)! I tried to keep the model as close to the original as possible without loosing too much of the detail.

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:31 am

Sweet!
On the request side, how much are you willing to help on this, Q? The work you've done already is awesome.
I can supply all necessary models and textures, and there are really only a few craft I want to bring to XWA.

nevara
Cadet 4th Class

Post by nevara » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:00 pm

These Rogue Leader models are really fantastic and look the most like the OT ships! :shock:

Sadly I don't have any modeling skills to help you out.

Great job! Can't wait for a full release. X-Wing next please :D

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:42 pm

Rasalas wrote:The head needs to be the 5th mesh to make it rotate, just like in the original exterior opt.
Thank's for the tip though I'm at a total loss as to how to go about doing this in OPTech or any other program.

Per Darksaber's "request" I've updated the model with an all new pilot figure. I also made some additional tweaks and changes to the models' UV coordinates and further optimized the meshes for the base and exterior models. Still no LOD model though. I've updated all the photos and the download package to reflect the recent changes.

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:46 pm

Q wrote:
Rasalas wrote:The head needs to be the 5th mesh to make it rotate, just like in the original exterior opt.
Thank's for the tip though I'm at a total loss as to how to go about doing this in OPTech or any other program.

Per Darksaber's "request" I've updated the model with an all new pilot figure. I also made some additional tweaks and changes to the models' UV coordinates and further optimized the meshes for the base and exterior models. Still no LOD model though. I've updated all the photos and the download package to reflect the recent changes.
I have another OPT editor you could possibly tinker with if you don't already have it, simply called the XWA Opt Editor. OPTech is glitchy for me, and I can never use it for some weird reason. I can't import models into OPTech, but I can in XWA Opt Editor.

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:12 am

No progress yet? I've been frantically trying to get something to work. Nothing's working on my end.
I even tried looking into ripping the very low-polygon models from Star Wars Trilogy Arcade, since they're just as accurate as
the Rogue Leader ones. Only difference is that they're lower-polygon and have lower resolution textures.

Ninja Ripper doesn't want to work with the Supermodel emulator, sadly.

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:56 pm

iteachvader wrote:No progress yet? I've been frantically trying to get something to work. Nothing's working on my end.
I even tried looking into ripping the very low-polygon models from Star Wars Trilogy Arcade, since they're just as accurate as
the Rogue Leader ones. Only difference is that they're lower-polygon and have lower resolution textures.

Ninja Ripper doesn't want to work with the Supermodel emulator, sadly.
I've suffered some major hardware failure on my computer and am awaiting replacement parts. I won't be able to do any further work until it gets fixed. I'm on a tablet writing this at the moment. I was really surprised to read you are trying to get models from Star Wars Trilogy Arcade! I managed to do just that a very long time ago myself but I never ported them to XWA. The supermodel program uses OpenGL to render so no DirectX based rippers will work with it. Also, after ripping the models you have to re-assemble the various pieces back together. Once that's done you then have to re-apply all the UV mapping. The UV coordinates are preserved intact but I find it much easier to convert the textures into a single sheet.
Here are some examples:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/ ... Colors.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/ ... ter_01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/ ... ber_01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/ ... tor_01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/ ... _X1_01.jpg

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:58 am

I've seen those models many times before! Those exact pictures, no less! It never occurred to me that those were from Star Wars Trilogy Arcade!!
Those paired with the cockpit models from Rogue Squadron II would make one of the greatest XWA graphical updates ever.
Either that, or polygon-reduced Rogue Leader models.