X-Wing Alliance VR mod

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

Re: X-Wing Alliance VR mod

Prosik
Recruit

Post by Prosik » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:03 pm

Got going after a complete reinstall. Working ok now thanks.
I guess my system is just not up to the task. Stutters exiting the independence and audio dropouts in the intro.

I will try again when I upgrade.

Prosik

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:13 pm

Hey Prosik,

Unfortunately the performance with SteamVR is actually worse than in DirectSBS mode because... well, reasons. It's a limitation with SteamVR and all old non-multithreaded games.

However, there are a few things you can do to increase performance:

1. Lower down the resolution. I have it at 50% the recommended setting -- this is the single most important setting.
2. Toggle the "SteamVR_Interleaved_Reprojection" setting. If you have it set to 0, set it to 1 and viceversa. See if that helps.
3. Lower down the detail in XWA.

Just as a note: to really improve the performance of this game under SteamVR we need to have a multithreaded renderer, with a high-performance command queue. While this is possible, it's also a big project.

I don't know why the audio is stuttering. This is most likely not related to the VR mod. Try "ProcessAffinityCore = 0" in ddraw.cfg.

heloguy
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by heloguy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:23 pm

Not sure if anyone has tried this yet, but just in case someone hasn't, and is interested, here goes. BLUF, I've gotten the VR mod to work with TFTC v1.0.

I'm late to the party, but recently discovered this mod, and so far, I'm loving it (only 2 days into trying it out). I have a campaign in TFTC running, and decided I'd love to finish it in VR, but as everyone here probably knows, TFTC 1.0 won't install over the GoG version, technically. I have CDROM copies of all the games, and kept all the old copies of previous install files, so I decided to do some experimenting. The magic combination seems to be this:

GoG version of X-Wing Alliance, with XWAUP v1.6 installed, and VR mod installed and working (I was using 1.0, as I missed the 1.0.4 update. Use v1.0.4).

Install TFTC v1.0. You need the CDROM versions of X-Wing Alliance, and TIE Fighter (either Collector's CD, or TIE95). This will mess up the TIE craft cockpits, causing the gunsight to move with headtracking. I'm not sure if this is because I started with 1.0 of the VR mod, or not. I thought it might be the cockpits from the older .opts in TFTC, so I downloaded each individual TIE from TFTC, and installed separately (including GBoat and MBoat). Still had the moving gunsight problem. I looked through this thread, and found v1.0.4. I then installed that.

So far, so good. I tested all craft that are used in the TIE fighter missions, and they seem to be working as well as the do with a 'vanilla' GoG Alliance install, XWAUCP v1.6, and VR Mod. I'm using SteamVR with a Vive Pro. The only other hiccup I ran into was the cockpit being fixed after installing VR mod v1.0.4. I went through the vrparams.cfg, and realized it wasn't set to SteamVR. Once I fixed that, it worked.

I'm going to try playing the campaign missions, and I'll report back if I have any issues.
I9 12900k

Nvidia RTX 3090

32gb RAM

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip

Turgidson
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Turgidson » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:54 pm

Since TFTC 1.0 links seem to have disappeared from the web... I'm afraid this won't help me that much. :(

On the other side, wouldn't installing the hooks, and then the VR mod (ddraw) directly over a functionning TFTC also work?

heloguy
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by heloguy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:21 pm

I tried that. I might again, as I first tried it with v1.0. I might try it with v1.0.4.
I9 12900k

Nvidia RTX 3090

32gb RAM

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

heloguy
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by heloguy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:16 am

I had installed at 1920x1080 before applying the VR mod, and I noticed that the screen seemed a bit distorted in the horizontal. I used xwing alliance hacker to change the horizontal resolution to match my hmd. It definitely made a difference, although barrel distortion when looking around is more pronounced. Is there an optimal resolution for each hmd? Also, what can I do to reduce distortion while looking around?
I9 12900k

Nvidia RTX 3090

32gb RAM

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:05 am

The Aiming HUD moving around with your head is something you can toggle in vrparams.cfg. I don't recall the setting off the top of my head; but if you still have trouble with that it can be fixed there -- no need to (re)-install anything.

For the distortion: make sure the apply_lens_correction setting in vrparams.cfg is set to "0". The distortion is applied by SteamVR directly. You can either change the distortion through SteamVR if your hardware/software allows it, or try and change the aspect ratio through xwahacker to match your screen resolution. I don't fully understand this area; but I believe the in-game aspect ratio should match the actual aspect ratio of your screen. If they're different, that will mess up the lens correction applied by SteamVR. I don't play with SteamVR that much; but others have reported something along these lines.

Also, 1.0.4 is a bit old, you can try the latest version here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wrqvblnlwptc ... 9.zip?dl=0

Just make sure you make a backup copy of your install first. If you notice anything weird on the right eye image (but the left eye looks fine) using version 1.0.9, then it's most likely a bug in my mod. If that's the case, you can report bugs here or send me a PM directly.

heloguy
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by heloguy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:30 am

Thx blue max, I’ll try that version. So, I’m understanding that if I set my res to my monitor’s res, SteamVR automatically adjusts for the HMD?
I9 12900k

Nvidia RTX 3090

32gb RAM

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

heloguy
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by heloguy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:03 pm

I tried 1.0.9 out this morning with a clean install. I made sure SteamVR was set for vr, and tracking, but can’t get X-Wing Alliance to open to open now. I keep getting a DDraw error.
I9 12900k

Nvidia RTX 3090

32gb RAM

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:52 pm

Well, I double-checked my notes and the process is a bit more compilcated. What you have to do is first select an in-game resolution and compute its aspect ratio. Say, for instance, 800x600. The aspect ratio for this resolution would be 800/600 = 1.33. You must also set that aspect ratio in vrparams.cfg and set PreserveAspectRatio to 1 in ddraw.cfg.

Then you have to use xwahacker to change the default FOV to match the aspect ratio. For this resolution, the default FOV is 86.3, so 86.3 * 1.33 = 114.779. You use 114.779 as the new FOV for 800x600 in xwahacker. Sorry, I only did this one time a long time ago and I don't recall all the details; but that's more or less what you need to do.

For the ddraw error you can either post the error message here or PM me the details to start debugging the issue. Or you can also try an older release too:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xe0jnv99cgyx7 ... 8.zip?dl=0

heloguy
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by heloguy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:56 pm

Blue Max, thanks for the quick replies. I tried 1.0.8, and that works great. I did another complete clean install with 1.0.9, and get the same errors. I attached snips to this post.

The first error says: _renderTargetViewNormBufR The parameter is incorrect.

The 2nd error says: DirectDraw Init FAILED at 2.

Hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I9 12900k

Nvidia RTX 3090

32gb RAM

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:28 pm

Yes, this helps a lot, thank you! I can focus my attention around that area in the code. I'm glad 1.0.8 works for you!

heloguy
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by heloguy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:34 pm

Thanks again, this makes it feel like a whole new game. The aspect ratio fix helped with the distortion I was seeing.
I9 12900k

Nvidia RTX 3090

32gb RAM

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

heloguy
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by heloguy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:43 am

Just an update on me using TFTC v1.0 with this mod. It appears that it works fine if I fly in the combat simulator, but if I try to fly any missions, there is no starfield. Still playable, yes, but really disorienting to not have the star backdrop to show relative movement.

Another question for blue max, is it possible to get it so that we can look around when in the cockpit in the hangar? It's not too big of a deal, as I can use the mouse, but just wondering if I'm missing a setting somewhere that allows it.
I9 12900k

Nvidia RTX 3090

32gb RAM

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:02 am

Alright, I was able to repro & fix the problem, I've updated version 1.0.9 with the fix and you can get it from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zphae74s8y45c ... 9.zip?dl=0

As for the backdrop in TFTC I don't know. If you're seeing the same problems without VR then it's most likely a problem in TFTC.

You can't move your head around in the hangar right now. I've tried a couple of times to enable it; but it doesn't work. The only way I've found so far is a hack that requires you to manually map head motion to mouse motion and I don't know if that'll work in SteamVR mode. But... maybe later someone will figure out how to do it!

heloguy
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by heloguy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:00 pm

I tried the new version with a clean install. It loads up now, but I noticed the aspect ratio for the GUI is stretched now, where as before with 1.0.8, it was preserved. Also, when in the 3d engine, everything looks flat, without any stereoscopic effect. I tried it both with the scale set to default, and to my 1920x1080 monitor's setting of 1.78 that I use with 1.0.8, and didn't see any change.
I9 12900k

Nvidia RTX 3090

32gb RAM

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:07 pm

I didn't touch the VR code between versions 1.0.8 and 1.0.9. If you've got two installs, try copying ddraw.cfg, vrparams.cfg and cockpitlookhook.cfg from your version 1.0.8 install on to version 1.0.9 as I suspect it's going to be a configuration issue here.

heloguy
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by heloguy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:51 pm

blue_max wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:07 pm
I didn't touch the VR code between versions 1.0.8 and 1.0.9. If you've got two installs, try copying ddraw.cfg, vrparams.cfg and cockpitlookhook.cfg from your version 1.0.8 install on to version 1.0.9 as I suspect it's going to be a configuration issue here.
That seemed to fix it. I just tried a quick skirmish test mission that I made, jumping back and forth between installs, and everything seems to be working with 1.0.9 now. Thanks!
I9 12900k

Nvidia RTX 3090

32gb RAM

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:35 pm

So you see the backdrops in skirmish mode, but not in campaign missions (or historical missions, I'd wager)? Are we talking about the super backdrops, or the default starfield?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:49 pm

The TFTC missions (which ever version they are) have never had the Super Backdrops added to them, so you will only see the default starfield ingame, unless they are added manually to each TFTC mission using AlliEd.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

heloguy
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by heloguy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:47 pm

Darksaber wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:49 pm
The TFTC missions (which ever version they are) have never had the Super Backdrops added to them, so you will only see the default starfield ingame, unless they are added manually to each TFTC mission using AlliEd.
That explains it. So, I should be good if I pull the default starfields back into that install. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Edit: Okay, wishful thinking, but not that simple apparently. I just tried something else: I took my working, non-VR install of TFTC (old as dirt, as it's the same XWingAlliance install from a few years ago, that I keep recycling so I don't have to re-install from the CD). I made sure it worked on my monitor. Check. I then installed the VR mod with shaders, v1.0.9. Still no backdrops in actual missions, or historical missions. At this point, I think it must be something about the VR mod, and the older version of the craft pack used with TFTC. I know the readme states that the VR mod only works with XWAUP v1.6, so I'm definitely not expecting anything. Just messing around, as it would be awesome to play TIE Fighter in VR.
I9 12900k

Nvidia RTX 3090

32gb RAM

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:36 am

heloguy wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:47 pm
That explains it. So, I should be good if I pull the default starfields back into that install. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!
Yeah, Haven't a clue what you mean :? :? :?

But if you've installed xwaupv1.6, you'll find a file in your missions folder called NewStarfield_2.0.fgp, this is the AlliEd Library file with the new starfields, to add them to the missions use this tutorial

I'm not guaranteeing the missions will work once you've added the backdrops, another tip would be to update all your Hooks to the latest versions. (please note the hooks WON'T add the starfields to the missions)

From your previous posts and what you've written, it looks like your using the once available installer version of the TFTCv1.0 that I made, to be honest it shouldn't even work or install correctly, you shouldn't be using it, one day TFTCv2 might be released, but I've been waiting, I dunno ten years or more for the missions to be updated by a certain member that's still active on the forums. I'm loosing interest in the game rapidly, so if he ever finished updating the missions an installer version might be off the table.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

heloguy
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by heloguy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:01 am

Darksaber wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:36 am
Yeah, Haven't a clue what you mean :? :? :?
Apparently neither did I, as it didn't work.
Darksaber wrote:
But if you've installed xwaupv1.6, you'll find a file in your missions folder called NewStarfield_2.0.fgp, this is the AlliEd Library file with the new starfields, to add them to the missions use this tutorial
Okay, thanks. I'll give that a whirl. It's been awhile since I used Allied, but hopefully I can dust those skills off. I'll post back if it seems to work.
Darksaber wrote:
From your previous posts and what you've written, it looks like your using the once available installer version of the TFTCv1.0 that I made, to be honest it shouldn't even work or install correctly, you shouldn't be using it, one day TFTCv2 might be released, but I've been waiting, I dunno ten years or more for the missions to be updated by a certain member that's still active on the forums. I'm loosing interest in the game rapidly, so if he ever finished updating the missions an installer version might be off the table.
Yeah, I'm basically trying to Frankenstein it together. A new version would be nice, for sure. Even better would be a new game, along the lines of the originals (X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Alliance, etc.). Every once in awhile I get the itch to play these old ones again, so I guess they'll have to do.
I9 12900k

Nvidia RTX 3090

32gb RAM

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:22 am

If the original backdrops work without the VR mod; but they disappear with it then it's probably my fault. I faintly recall when I started this project that the backdrop is actually rendered twice: the original is rendered using the 2D code path, and the new one is actually a big cube that is rendered in 3D. I might be suppressing the old code path because it was being painted over anyway. I'll take a look to see if I can re-enable the original backdrop; but if it's too much trouble, I might just drop that.

pwojnaro
Recruit

Post by pwojnaro » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:18 am

Holy s**t, this is sweet. Spent a few hours flying some skirmishes and missions from the first tour campaign. This game is ancient and it shows (even with the XWAUpgrade awesomeness), but the VR thing makes it a new experience again.
Perhaps this deserves its own thread, but I'm curious about the VR HW and config used by other folks. I'm currently on the original Rift (consumer version) and I'm running the game in headset's native res (2160x1200, FOV set to 116.5deg). I'm not super-sampling at the moment (couldn't really see a difference in image quality) and still experimenting with the HUD scale and HUD/GUI distances in vrconfig. Anyone tried this with a newer gen headset (RIft S, Valve Index or Vive Pro)?