The Definitive FAQ Thread for TFTC

A forum for the TIE Fighter Total Conversion Project (TFTC). Here you can find out news, updates, FAQs or just ask questions about the project.

Moderators: Bman, AngeI

The Definitive FAQ Thread for TFTC

AngeI
Cadet 1st Class

Post by AngeI » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:47 am

What is TFTC?

TFTC is the TIE Fighter: Total Conversion project which aims to bring the original TIE Fighter game and its expansions into X-Wing Alliance. This project was originally released many years ago by other members of the XWAU community, many of whom have since moved on. That version of the project however is no longer available after becoming broken due to various updates since its release to XWAU. Only Bman remains as one of the original project members from this time.

What can I expect to see in TFTC?

TFTC is built upon the XWAU project, so as well as having all the benefits this entails such as vastly improved graphics, ship models, dynamic cockpits, VR support and more, you can enjoy all 13 Battle campaigns from TIE Fighter and the training missions, all with their original voiceover audios, imuse soundtrack and yes even the cutscenes. But wait there's more, alongside the Original campaign, we are also designing a Reimagined campaign!

What does the Reimagined campaign do?

The Reimagined campaign is essentially a 'what if' scenario. TIE Fighter was limited by the technical capabilities of its time and crucially one of the main aspects was a severe limitation in the number of craft present in a mission at any one time. With X-Wing Alliance, we can imagine much grander scenarios and have much larger scale battles take place. You are part of the Empire and we think its important you feel like you are part of this vast, immensely superior military force. The Reimagined campaign will still follow the same story beats as the Original, but there will be significant changes to both story and gameplay as you progress as well which also means everything needs to be revoiced. Some missions will be very familiar with just an increased number of ships and extra window dressing, while others are completely redesigned from scratch, often combining missions together.

But I only want to play the Original in its pure form.

This is fine! Upon installation of TFTC, you will be given the option of which campaign you wish to play. We hope to offer a utility to easily switch between the Original and Reimagined without having to reinstall the entire mod. Because of the significant gameplay differences between the two, you will NOT be able to have both campaigns installed concurrently otherwise it will severely break the balance of one of the campaigns.

What will I need to play TFTC?

As well as a copy of X-Wing Alliance, you will also likely need a copy of TIE Fighter installed (doesn't matter which version, 94, 95 or 98). You can purchase copies of both games from GoG or Steam. TFTC will be fully integrated into XWAU though we have yet to work out the details of this in terms of installation. This FAQ will be updated as we know more.

What are the technical requirements of TFTC?

XWA is an old engine, unfortunately it does not fully utilise modern graphics hardware so the game is heavily reliant on CPU power. If you have a powerful CPU, then you will be able to run the game with maximum graphical fidelity with little issue even in the largest engagements. However if your CPU is a bit lacking, you may need to reduce some of the extra graphical features that XWAU offers. These are easily configured though and the XWAU community is always striving to eek out every improvement to the engine they can.

So when is the release date and what will be included?

We are tentatively aiming for a December 2020/January 2021 release but this is not a guaranteed, set in stone date and is subject to change. The initial release will include the entire Original campaigns from Battles 1 to 13 while the Reimagined campaign will initially come with Battles 1-8 with Battles 9-13 being worked on next year (2021) and released through an expansion patch. The training missions will be available on both.

Are all the Secret Order objectives and cutscenes included?

For the most part, yes. Unfortunately, XWA does not have the individual character interactions that TIE Fighter had and the goal win/loss progression is linear, you either win or you don't. There is no extra dialogue or bonus interactions in a mission debrief when you complete a certain secondary or bonus objective, so we've had to change the structure of the Secret Order somewhat. As such all Secret Order goals will now be Primary Objectives marked with the [SO] tag in your goal list. The Secret Order cutscenes will be included and will be triggered based on the players current points score, so you'll still get to see that progression.

What about the original imuse soundtrack? Its not TIE Fighter without that iconic music!

You're in luck! XWA has its own imuse system, though not quite as dynamic as TIE Fighters, but thankfully we have managed to import most of the musical tracks and cues from the original game. We are also including a new, updated modern version of this soundtrack. You will be given the option of installing either soundtrack when installing.

But why is 'insert thing here' not exactly like it was in TIE Fighter?

Unfortunately, there are simply some limitations imposed upon us here based on the differences between the XWA and TF engines. As such some occasional compromises have to be made. Nonetheless we are trying to give you as close to an authentic TIE Fighter experience as possible. We also reserve the right to take some artistic leeway here and there as we need to :)

Will there be VR support?

Yes, XWAU has integrated VR support which means TFTC can do it as well!

Will we be able to play a Co-op version of the campaign?

Yes eventually we would like to do this and it is possible thanks to the Multiplayer hook, but this is something to look at next year as it will likely take some significant editing and rebalancing to account for multiple players.

Can I help the project in some way?

If you feel you have some talent or specialty that would be an asset to TFTC, be it UI design, expert coding abilities to hack the the EXE and insert dll hooks, feel free to contact us! We will soon be asking for Beta testers as well :)

Shut up and take my money! (Do you have a Patreon/accept donations?)

As much as we might like to, we cannot accept any kind of financial donation to the project due to the increased risk of legal troubles with Disney if we did so. You can reward us by playing the mod and spreading words of its existence to others who would be interested :)

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:38 pm

Hi Angel,

Many Thanks for share all this useful info.

I have some questions:

1) I have both Tie Figher and XWA, in what folder I need to install TFTC ?
2) I see there are additinal cutscene that are not original (seem come from cartoon animated version) is possible choose to exclude it ?
3) About contribute to this project I can upscale the cutscene if are in avi / mpeg , etc.. here the XWA version: http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 15&t=12710
4) All SFX came from Tie Fither or XWA ?

Thanks !

AngeI
Cadet 1st Class

Post by AngeI » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:56 pm

marcop000 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:38 pm
Hi Angel,

Many Thanks for share all this useful info.

I have some questions:

1) I have both Tie Figher and XWA, in what folder I need to install TFTC ?
2) I see there are additinal cutscene that are not original (seem come from cartoon animated version) is possible choose to exclude it ?
3) About contribute to this project I can upscale the cutscene if are in avi / mpeg , etc.. here the XWA version: http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 15&t=12710
4) All SFX came from Tie Fither or XWA ?

Thanks !
1: This is a mod for XWA, therefore it will be installed in the XWA folder. I know a tool is being developed for XWAU to easily swap in/out things like TFTC but I don't know the details of this yet. The requirement to have TF installed is only a precaution on our part to try and minimise a C&D by Disney/EA.
2: If you mean from that TIE FIghter animation short, this was part of the old project which I've not actually removed or altered. I don't know if they actually had permission to use this cutscene so I need to reach out to them to ensure we have permission. I'm not sold on using it though, as cool as it is, rather than just going with the original simulator cutscene in TF.
3: We are recording the cutscenes directly from the game and they will be in a widescreen format. We don't intend to upscale them as I prefer to keep their original artwork here. We will however be remastering the music and cleaning up the audio for them. If someone had the talent to entirely remake these cutscenes, then great, but I imagine thats rather time consuming :D
4: A mix of both.

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:30 pm

Thank you AngeI for your fast reply !!!.

Please excuse me I have forgot to ask you another question:

In the future will be a chance to choose the original squared crosshair ? Frankly I like it ..

AngeI
Cadet 1st Class

Post by AngeI » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:34 pm

Probably yes but nothing has been done for that at this point.

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:37 pm

what you think about this ?

https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... it=reticle

seem already done.

AngeI
Cadet 1st Class

Post by AngeI » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:12 pm

I'm aware of them but I've not got a build including them yet.

Kriegmacher
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Kriegmacher » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:46 pm

I'm really looking forward to this. Will it also include the "shoot the pyramids" arcade style training rings?

Also, will the new campaign feature the TIE Royal Guard Interceptor, and why not? :P

AngeI
Cadet 1st Class

Post by AngeI » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:40 pm

I've not actually looked at that training part of the game, I'm honestly not sure its possible to port that part of the game in I'm afraid, but I will look into it.

And currently no plans to include the Royal Guard Interceptor at this time, sorry :P

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:29 pm

As someone who helped Waylon porting Battles 8-13 to the original TFTC release 10 years ago, I'm very excited about the upcoming release.

I'm curious:
How are you going to handle the maze/salvage yard?

AngeI
Cadet 1st Class

Post by AngeI » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:50 pm

Fek'LeyrTarg wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:29 pm
As someone who helped Waylon porting Battles 8-13 to the original TFTC release 10 years ago, I'm very excited about the upcoming release.

I'm curious:
How are you going to handle the maze/salvage yard?
Nice! :)

I honestly haven't given that much thought, I don't think having the circular maze from TF will be possible as it has spawn logic that can't be replicated in XWA. I'm unsure at this time if I just want to keep the default XWA proving grounds or just lock it out completely. It needs discussion first :)