X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM :: Difficulty

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM :: Difficulty

TomJeffJones
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by TomJeffJones » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:26 pm

I'm playing through X-wing and its expansions via the Collector's Cd-Rom disc and DosBox. I first played the original release's tours in grade-school armed with rusel demaria's excellent strategy guide, and don't remember the game being outrageously difficult, consequently I have the CD's missions set on 'classic' mode.

In perusing X-wing series writeups found thorughout the net, I get the overall impression that X-Wing has a rep for being the most difficult game in the series. Seems to me it should be the easiest, due to its rather strict limits on the number of space-borne objects at any one time. The way enemy squads are piecemealed at you makes the battefield very manageable, even considering the game's limited suite of situational awareness features relative to subsequent titles.

And that's reflected in the play experience...

The game I'm seeing in DosBox is so easy I feel like I'm sleepwalking through missions. I mean, its a lot of fun but - I just completed the 'destroy the intrepid' mission. So far I have lost two craft, both in collisions during careless dogfights with slow-moving craft like shuttles, but aside from such lazy errors on my part enemies seem helpless. My wingmen do die occasionally, though more often then not they attract one or two enemies and tie each other up in endless turn-duels where they demonstrate an impressive inability to hit each other...Sometimes they seem so pathetic I wonder if I'm emulating the game incorrectly.

So Xwing seems like a breeze -

On the other hand I simply can not manage Xwing Alliance on hard difficulty, and remember Xwing vs. Tie fighter being incredibly difficult on hard as well... In XWA hard mode usually results in my wingmen and all friendly squads dying quick deaths, leaving me to do everyone's job while drawing all enemy fire...if allies were beefed up to counter the strengthened opposition hard might result in some interesting situations - there's generally more than enough enemies to go around even when everyone *is* alive....but no.

XWA on medium is suitably difficult i suppose, but a touch more without going overboard would be perfect.

But I was curious as to what games in the series community members found most difficult and why?

FabulousFab
Recruit

Post by FabulousFab » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:47 pm

Edit : Sorry I didn't see the date of this topic... Shouldn't have replied.
Edit 2 : I finally found a way to pass this mission, not a glorious one : I stayed away from the fight letting the other teams member doing the job... I'll see if the next missions are still as hard as this when it come to the dogfight.

Sry for the english, it's not my native language...

I have a similar problem.
I make a new run at XWA since I have received my 1st HOTAS (Thrustmaster Warthog, which is amazing).

So, as I havent played for a while, I decided to start a new campaign in Medium.
Had some trouble in some mission but when I reaches the Mission #7 "Clearing the Way", I just can't passed it. (I have done it in my previous run).

It seems that 3 shots of any enemy is blasting me to oblivion.
I don't complain easily, I have tried at least 20 times the missions for more than 4 hours.
So now I wonder if something is wrong with the difficulty as when even if I try in easy, it's same result.

I remember that some mission were very difficult, mostly because you have to protect something or someone, but this mission never seemed difficult to me. I had to use unvulnerability to pass the missio, wich I hate to do.

I'm still searching if the difficulty level wouldn't be stuck in hard even if the game say otherwise.

As for the 1st X-Wing, I remember to have finished it with a speedking between my legs for the fast mouvements of the ships and the mouse to aim more precisly ^^
It was not as easy as you describe, but manageable.