I've never played TIE Fighter...

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

I've never played TIE Fighter...

Ladyhawk
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Ladyhawk » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:05 am

I'm told it was the best of the series. It's available on Steam, which has this to say:
This product includes STAR WARS™: TIE Fighter and STAR WARS™: TIE Fighter - Defender of the Empire, both 1994 (DOS) and 1998 (Windows) versions, and STAR WARS™: TIE Fighter - Enemies of the Empire 1998 (Windows).
What's the difference between the 1994 and 1998 versions of TIE Fighter - Defender of the Empire? Has the DOS version been converted so it will play on a Windows machine or does it require a DOS environment? Just wonderin' before I take the plunge.

Thanks.
]_ /\ ]) `/ ]-[ /\ \/\/ ]<<P>I always start what I finish.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:41 am

Defender of the Empire added a few more battles to the end of the original release, same with Enemies of the Empire. The 98 version requires Windows and doesn't support DOS, increased the resolution to 800x600 for much of it with new concourse assets, and used the flight engine from XvT so it had 3D acceleration.
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt

Atruejedi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Atruejedi » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:18 am

I never played the DOS version, but I played the 1998 CD-ROM version of TIE Fighter and it was amazing. The only downside, people say, is that the music is no longer dynamic MIDI, and is instead just music directly from the movies. God, now I want to install it again... but the graphics of XWA with the XWA Upgrade have spoiled me ;)

K-j
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by K-j » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:21 am

It's a shame they ditched the interactive midi score, CD-ROM version is my favourite.

If you get it from GOG (Good Old Games), you get all three versions and the two expansion packs, plus digital versions of the reference cards, manual, strategy guide and accompanying story book:

https://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_tie_ ... al_edition

stk421
Cadet 4th Class

Post by stk421 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:41 pm

TIE Fighter is by far my favorite game in the series. I bought the 1998 X-Wing Collectors Series way back. Initially I wanted to play X-Wing, but it was a hard one to play, while TIE Fighter was easy to get into and play. I do not even remember finishing X-Wing. Both games are good, but TIE Fighter always seemed to be the better game.

I am recommending the Collector's Series. I loved the 3D accelerated graphics and authentic movie sounds and music. For me it made the game more of an authentic, even theatrical, Star Wars experience. If it is indeed on GOG then you cannot go wrong with that purchase. There are patches available online to get it to work with more modern computers. You can check on this site to read more on this. I never tested the X-Wing series games on Windows 10.