X Wing Redux in English?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

X Wing Redux in English?

CrisGer
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by CrisGer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:30 am

I have been studying the history of the devel of the X Wing update to XvT and XWA....and noted that there was interest and some work done on tranlation for an english version. The idea of doing it on the Redux site does not seem to have been finished.

Is there any update on that?

I also can't re connectd the three part download of the main install, the first file has a broken CRC and the parts 2 and 3 wont open or unzip with any program i have, ...is the main download broken? and if so does anyone have a back up copy archived i can get a link for ? thanks for any help on this. much appreciated. and thanks to all who have worked to update this classic.
Director and Lead Admin
3D World and Game Developers Group LInkedin
"We Build Worlds"

EtherShock
Ensign

Post by EtherShock » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:37 am

Just wait, the server is probably down at the moment and will come back online eventually. How long has it been out?

I was originally just going to do this for myself, but if there's a significant interest, I found a walkthrough of X-wing that gives the text of the briefings, so I'm playing through the game right now to check that the text is correct and to mark the highlighted words in the briefings, as well as log the mission complete messages, but this is only scratching the surface. I'm up to the end of Tour 2. It's a whole lot easier now than it ever was before...and I'm playing classic missions! I tried to make it a little more challenging by keeping my wingmates alive.

I even logged the text from the pilot proving grounds and historical combat. I was going to contact the team after I had finished logging all the text about working on an English translation, but if enough people are interested, I wanted to make it like the TFTC where we include the story of the Farlander Papers into the TC like they did with the Steele Chronicles, but I don't have the strategy guide, and I'm probably not savvy enough to code in the emails if it's anything more complex than simple. If we want, we could take a little creative license with some of the craft involved in the missions, because there weren't many at all in the game and bulk freighters were used as stand-ins for other craft, such as space stations. This would mean rebalancing missions though, which would be a lot of work.

Plus I'm very busy with real life, I'm college graduate working on an internet project and trying to jam my foot in the door of the media business, no easy task...and that's not even going into my personal life!

Is anyone else interested in this? Maybe we can form a team and get this done, cause it doesn't seem like an English translation will get done otherwise.

CrisGer
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by CrisGer » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:05 am

thanks so much for the reply, i was away for a day or so...

i will try the Redux site again, to see if i can get the first file intact.

I would love to help with the english versioning but i will need directions ..i am good at following instructions :)
maybe we can post about this on the LucasForums, there are a few XWing players that come thru...

i will wait to see if you decide to go ahead, and i totally understand about school, i have time right now myself but as i said, would need directions :)

thanks again for the reply.
Director and Lead Admin
"We Build Worlds"

EtherShock
Ensign

Post by EtherShock » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:02 am

Oh no, I've been done with school for a while. It's the horrors of real life for me now.

I just realized that maybe I should be taking note of the cargo/passengers on ships, because those might not be in English as well, so I figured I'd check out a mission in AlliED. I reinstalled XWA a few days ago and finally figured out how to get the files for Redux unzipped tonight. Whether it's the right way or not, I don't know, but apparently the file is corrupted at some point, even after redownloading the files, so I don't have cutscenes after Tour 4, Scene 2, but I seem to have all the missions and .lst files. It turns out that ship cargo is also in Spanish, looks like they were quite thorough with this TC, so now I have to go back and note the contents of every craft, sucks for me...unless someone else wants to do that. They also have radio messages during the missions which will either need to be translated or rewritten from scratch. I can pretty much get the gist of many of the messages, but translating, that's a different story. I took three years of Spanish in high school, but anything I don't understand (which is pretty much everything) would require babelfish, Google language tools, or someone actually fluent in Spanish (preferably).

I'm not very good with AlliED, but I have messed around with it a little, so changing text shouldn't be a problem. If we have to make any actual mission adjustments, that could be though. There are briefings as well. I haven't taken a look at a mission in game yet, but I've got a pretty good idea what needs to be done for just simply a 1:1 translation, but why stop there? However, translation should be the project's primary objective. Briefings will be easy cause I'm logging the text from the original game, debriefings are original, so we'll have to translate those like the radio messages.

Nevermind, the debriefings are from XWA, so this means we could make up our own if we want.

So I take it that you're the only one interested in doing this, huh? That's disappointing but better than no one.

CrisGer
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by CrisGer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:09 am

I got involved in going thru all the missions and campaigns that they had archived on that spanish site, as there might have been a few that i did not have already. sorry ...for the delay, yes i am very interested. and i will post over on the lucasforums and also on the Rogue Squadron site where i am a cadet. i think it would be wonderful to get the english version set up. ;)

back soon with any news of others interested. :)

and i would love to know how you managed to get file 2 and file 3 open, they just dont open, 7 zip and WinZip both say they are not archives...and wont touch em.....

i got the first file open but i also got that notice about one file being broken. i have e mailed the admin on that source site but no reply yet. my spanish is not good at all, in deed i had to restort to Google translator. :)

let me know if you managed to get the second and third parts of the download open , i sure have not been successful yet. I will check on how the files look compared to my CD from the original game, which i own, i have em all and multiple versions of some of the series.
Director and Lead Admin
"We Build Worlds"

EtherShock
Ensign

Post by EtherShock » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:10 pm

Yeah, I had trouble extracting them too. I renamed them to .rar, and I was able to see all the files packed in this way. They have to be in the same directory, cause it's one of those archives that are divided into pieces. Like I said before, some of the videos of the cutscenes are corrupted, so they didn't extract. Hopefully you'll get a response from the team about that, though this project has been done for quite a while, so I'm not counting on it. Did you tell them about making the translation too? I haven't checked out all the missions, but the tours are marked A, B, C, D, E in the .tie files, like this: 1B8M1A, where A = Tour 1, B = Tour 2, etc., took me a while to notice that. Some missions feature craft that probably didn't exist till the time of ESB, like the B2 frigate. Right now, I'm going over the historical combat missions to log craft names and cargo, and trying to log mission parameters, but that one's tough. If someone had the guide, I'll bet that would help immensely. The missions are only about 15 MB, it's the videos that take up all the space. This could've been packaged more efficiently. There isn't even a readme.

I only have the Collector's CD version, are the other versions any different regarding content? I know they're graphical updates and they don't have the midi music, but did they add in radio messages? I haven't actually played the Win95 versions, but I'm thinking we'll stick with the DOS cutscenes.

I just remembered, Jefe is a native Spanish speaker and his site is in English as well, so maybe he would be interested in helping us? I believe he might've worked on the original project. He doesn't frequent the forum often though.

CrisGer
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by CrisGer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:58 pm

OK Waylon over at TFTC forum has translated briefings from XW original CD to english, i will send you PM about it,

this may be a help!
chris
Director and Lead Admin
"We Build Worlds"

EtherShock
Ensign

Post by EtherShock » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:35 am

Hey, sorry I've taken so long to get back, but real life sucks.

That's great! Less work I have to do...I hope, and I haven't really done anything recently, been too busy. So are the briefings complete with all the highlighted text as well? There are mission hints for Tours 4 and 5, so we can take those right out of the game at least, or write our own for 1 - 3 if we really want or just completely rewrite all of them. Oh right, my email. I'll pm that to you.

I think I might be able to translate the inflight messages, loosely though. I looked at a few missions when I first figured out how to extract them and seem to get the gist of what is being said. The rest I would have to use babelfish or Google translate for, unless we can get someone fluent like Jefe to help us. I thought the victory debriefings were unchanged from XWA? The one's I looked at weren't, cause they mentioned the Viraxo. We can rewrite those to our liking. Do you know anyone that has the strategy guide? It's the only way we can really flesh out the story of Keyan Farlander.

What is this thing about the Clone Wars though? I don't get it.

Wait, they figured out how to import the music? Can you elaborate?

CrisGer
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by CrisGer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:50 am

I will see if i can get a copy of the strategy guide from Amazon or lucas and see about mailing it to you.

i will check PM so i can e mail you what Waylon sent me he seems like he has some kind of music going on already so lets see what he has..this is fun, to find more work on the same direction. He has also some files from some of the lost sites with more mssions and campaigns i think and he also knows of some way to get multiplayer going on in some of the games built on Draconious' work, (sp?) e mail on the way shortly.
Director and Lead Admin
"We Build Worlds"

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:29 pm

EtherShock wrote:Wait, they figured out how to import the music? Can you elaborate?
Are you talking about the midi music from X-Wing?
I have converted some of them to use them in XWA but they don't work correctly.

EtherShock
Ensign

Post by EtherShock » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:25 am

Oh hey, that's not really necessary. I could find one to buy online, but I'm not in a position to be spending money on such things, unless my financial situation improves. If you wish to acquire one though, you and anyone else that has access to one will be in charge of fleshing out the story.

I took a look at a mission or two and noticed sometimes there was stuff cut from the briefing and other times additional stuff added. I don't know why anything was cut in particular, I guess it seemed unnecessary(?) but the new content will have to be translated as well. I see things have been added to the mission details too.

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:59 am

This therad is dedicated to the "X-Wing Redux" support. It's a well planned spanish project, who converted the "X-Wing" battles into XWA. 89 missions have been succesfully converted with briefings and cutscenes. Now we need to translate the project and give to him a little more power.

Starting from the X-Wing Redux missions I have created a new campaign in Italian language, adding objects, changing ships and backdrops. You my find the italian battles here.
It's not only the translation of Redux, but a new edition of the X-Wing games, with new ships and some more missions. I merged the X-Wing game with the Rebellion comics, telling the story of a group of imperial pilots who desert to join the rebel Alliance.
I've added some ships from the Post Clone Wars era, like the imperial Venator, the Acclamator cruiser, the Rand Ecliptic, the imperial V-Wing and V-19. I recreated the atmosphere of the last minutes of "Revenge of the Sith". Some missions have been changed to become more similar to the Rebellion comics. An example is the mission of the desertion of the Bixby corvette, that has become the story of the Rand Ecliptic. I've inserted the R-22 to tell the story of the A-Wing developing, and the Z-95 fighter used before the INCOM's agreement with the rebellion.
The main character of the story is a rebel pilot who keeps contact with some imperial officers to have the possibility to fly imperial fighters in some undercover missions.
The third Redux campaign does not have the Death Star surface mission, but this is not a problem, because I'me ready to build it.

Now I would like to translate it for the entire community, but I need your help to write it better. The best way to release it is dividing it in campaigns and release them as soon as they are ready, to keep the audience alive.

I know that EtherSchock is also working on it, so asking for your help I'm open for new ideas to improve it and merge our work in a single project.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:49 pm

That's pretty awesome!

Now I'm not too fluent in italian, plainly speaking I can barely order a bottle of wine, so I may not be of much help there, but if there's any other way I can help, give me a yipe!
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

DTM

Post by DTM » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:22 pm

Well, my idea is that I translate it in english as good as I can and someone fix the language with better words... :roll:

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:38 pm

Oh great! Then I'll put in that little German accent XD
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

EtherShock
Ensign

Post by EtherShock » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:22 am

Thanks for creating this thread DTM. I was going to get to it eventually. Your version sounds like an interesting take. You said you have the first two tours done and that also you've worked this into the story of X-wing or is this a different path from Farlander's story?

As he said, I'm working on a 1 to 1 translation to start off with, but then we can elaborate from there. I'm currently at the beginning of Tour 3. I would've been finished by now with the logging of text if some personal issues hadn't developed. Waylon from the TFTC Team has translated the briefings, except for the additional sentences, so I still need to log the text and go over everything to make sure it's accurate. We media people are picky about details like that. Too bad Jefe isn't around the forum very often. He would be a great help with translation if he was willing.

Think of what I'm working on as a "special edition" of X-wing Redux. Once that's done, we can discuss placement of new craft, such as stations, and I can provide the translation to anyone proficient in AlliED that wants to add them (otherwise that'll take me forever to do) and does someone have the strategy guide to work on the Farlander Papers? CrisGer was going to get me a copy, but I told him that wasn't necessary. Let's find out if anyone has a copy that's willing to help first before I decide on acquiring a copy. I'm in no financial position to be making such discretionary purchases.

Voiced radio messages would probably be the absolute last thing to be done on the project. I have training in voice and diction, so I could provide a few if I want with a very neutral tone (unless somehow it was decided you guys wanted a pilot or commander that sounded like he's from Jersey) would certainly look good in the portfolio, but I'm not going to think about that till everything else is done. Plus I'm very self-conscious of my own voice.

OK, so the goals are...
  1. One to one translation
  2. Translation of radio messages
  3. Voiced briefings
  4. Addition of new craft (stations, etc.)
  5. Addition of Farlander Papers to plot
  6. Playable Death Star missions
  7. Voiced radio messages
probably in something similar to this order as well.

DTM

Post by DTM » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:43 am

Ethershock, I'm with you. I must confess I didn't know about the Farlander Papers, but I'm learning the charachter now.
For my story I used a charachter similar to Darklighter, because the first generation of rebel pilot and officers comes from the imperial navy.
My opinion has always been that the X-Wing plot begins without an introduction, like the Azzameen's one, and needs a deeper story, the use of e-mails and "family missions".
I think that Redux could have some introduction missions telling the story of the beginning of the Alliance, because we have always seen how it ends, but never how it began.

As I read Farlander's story begins among the Agamar resistence. A good introduction could be on how he met the firts organization of the Rebel Alliance, or sometihng like this, but I already have an idea on how it could be: if you have the patient to read a crazy story like mine...

I start telling you how my campaign begins, only as example: my first mission is an imperial patrol that that ends with the destruction of a civil liner. After this upsetting events some officers decide to leave the imperial navy and the second mission tells the defection of a Nebulon B frigate (the "Fugazi") from an imperial armada and the third mission is the difficoult encounter between the Fugazi and the first organization of the rebel alliance (it's an amazing mission because it's not easy to combat with a TIE without destroing your enemy but only damaging their engines).

Farlander IS the charachetr, I agree with you, but I think that Redux also needs a deeper plot, someone who gives to the player the opportunity to see the story from another point of view and gives also the opportunity to fly with other crafts, someone with a name and its own personality. We should find someone like Ace Azzameen, someone with his own family missions and his personal corellian transport. The charachter of Farlander does not match with him, but this could be the occasion we need to TELL the story, using briefings, e-mail and cutscene: let's give to Farlander a pen-friend, a second main characheter, maybe a spy or smuggler friend of Farlander, who give to us the occasion to fly new crafts and to know what is happening outside the Calamari cruiser. Redux could become the story of the relationship between Farlander and his friend (maybe a famele :D ), a relationship that tell to us the story of the Alliance using the e-mail and playing missions with both charachetr, Farlander from the calamari briefing room and the other from the family transport.
Also if you refuse my idea I'm with you, but I invite you to think about the restrictions that we could have respecting 100% Farlanedr's official story. I know he IS the LucasArts "X-Wing charachter", but In this way we are bind and limited at his own story, at his involvement in the civil war and we could not have the possibility to give him different adventuers or the possibility of using imperial crafts.
Anyway, I suggest to find a way to add some "family missions" that could complete the Redux story, in the same way as we have seen in the Azzameen campaign.

Now, speaking about goals andscadule:
1.-2. I'm able to translate spanish words into bad english, we only need someone who fix it in a better english.
3. I don't thing voice briefings are necessary and I'm not sure it is possible to add new ones...but if we find someone with a good voice, we could try to find a way
4. As I said, there are some mistake that must be corrected: Officialy A-Wing was introducted only after the battle of Endor, Dodonna used R-22 to develope the A-Wing. The X-Wing fighter were introduced only after INCOM defection and imperial navy was still using Venators, V-Wings and other Clone Wars fighters before the introduction of the new TIE Interceptor and Assault Gunboat...there are some fix that should be done, but that's not a problem, we have all opts we need!
5. I'm searching Farlanders Papers too, but it will not be easy here
6. I'm ready to recreate these missions as seen in X-Wing using the Death Star Surface OPT and other little tricks
7. Using a very neutral tone I'm ready to contribute with my very bad "alien" accent.

Last thing, but the more important one in this dark times for XWA: we should release the first campaign as soon as it's ready, following with the second one a and the other ones as soon as they are ready, because players here are happy to see WIP projects, but they are happier playing with them waiting for the following relases!
We should work to finish the first campaign before starting with the second one and divide REDUX in 5 volumes.

Dragon
XWAU Member

Post by Dragon » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:28 am

@DTM
Check your Mail. ;)
Every story has four sides to it: yours, the others, the truth and what really happend.
"You have failed me for the last time, Admiral."

Fader
Galactic Empire

Post by Fader » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:50 pm

You have my sword!
And my axe!
And my bow!

err... maybe i made a mistake... this is just another great saga :P

I could help in basic translation from spanish (i'm italian and it is not too far from our lang) and in final voiceover of one or two characters... i used to train myself a bit in movie characters imitation, just for fun, and i like to do it (i make an average darth vader, modern batman (difficult!), smeagol and so on, just for a peek).
But... i don't have time to play with myself (find the quote!)... i'd have to plan these works a bit.

I propose someone takes a project leader position and defines / divides the work.
How many campaigns?
How many missions?
How many radio strings to translate and record?

EtherShock
Ensign

Post by EtherShock » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:46 pm

DTM, I like where you're going with this. No, I wasn't planning on strictly sticking with Farlander's story. That was just meant as a jumping point. It would definitely add to the experience to be introduced to the story in-game. Both X-wing and TIE Fighter have introductory stories, just that they're in print. The voiced briefings were going to come from the CD, but if we're going to change it up, then we can scratch that from the list. We need to discuss details. Everyone should get together on IRC (I guess) sometime to discuss everything. I see we have some creative minds interested in the project.

Yeah, from a modder standpoint, I guess it's best to release things in installments, cause community interest and support is key to mods. I will get to work on translating the first tour. I took Spanish for three years during middle school and high school, so I tend to get the gist of what is being said. Maybe you want to send me your campaign as well and I can translate your English, because it seems a one to one translation of Redux isn't going to cut it anymore, which means the work I've been doing is probably now irrelevant. Is it? Ah well, that's production for you. I'll send you my email.

DTM

Post by DTM » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:21 pm

Redux will have a prequel campaign to tell the story of the rise of the Rebel Alliance. The player will use two main charachetrs to flight as a Rebel pilot and to act as a smuggler. The differences between these two actors will be the backbone of the story! English Redux work in progress has officialy began! Everybody who wants to support this project should send me an e-mail. Thanks!

CrisGer
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by CrisGer » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:16 pm

wow, lots going on here, i got caught up in some other work :)

this sounds great, great to see the activity and support. Waylon has done more work and i am sending it to you E, and we also have an ftp site set up for file tranfer and working formats.

this is great to see. :)

The Force is still strong it appears :)

darkpadawan
Recruit

Post by darkpadawan » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi everyone

First, sorry for my bad english, hope you understand me well.

I'm darkpadawan, modder from spanish project X-Wing Redux. I am very pleased to see that our little project has been used from a very better and bigger project, and, finally, in english. CrisGer contact with us recently for that excelent news, thanks.

I can not help much (by language problems), but I can try to resolve doubts about the structure of our mod, etc, in xwginredux@yahoo.es if needed.

Regards

CrisGer
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by CrisGer » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:09 am

Heard from the X Wing Redux team and they have posted updated files and also are very excitied and happy that we are working on a translation, really appreciative. Waylon has worked on fixing some of the missions that did not comvert correctly.and i will e mail them to you E.
Director and Lead Admin
"We Build Worlds"

CrisGer
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by CrisGer » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:11 am

Great to hear from you and thanks so much for all the work you guys did to update X Wing, it is great to have this chance to see it as it truly can be.
Director and Lead Admin
"We Build Worlds"