X Wing Redux in English?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: X Wing Redux in English?

Fader
Galactic Empire

Post by Fader » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:26 am

Take it, the interest in XWA is inexorably fading away... and this is the most active forum about this old glorious game ;)
only the pure and bravest still resist

Old_Jedi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Old_Jedi » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Darksaber wrote:I doubt it I can't be arsed to update the site.
That's a shame - it is a great site and the XWC mod deserves to be publicised a bit more.

OJ

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:18 pm

Getting the word out would be my job, but I've been slacking. If you guys want to drop me a note about which missions are available in the latest version of XWC (PM is fine...let me know what other "bells & whistles" are available, too), I can post to the appropriate outlets. :D
Wildstar, Red 2 (XO) (Ret.)

Not the Wildstar that authored IMCGen.

waylon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by waylon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:58 pm

Old_Jedi wrote:Hi there

The missions select OK, regardless of whichever pilot I use, the briefing runs OK (with sounds, as I followed the instructions on making a new ISO - I already used DEMON tools to mount an image of the XWA_DISK_1 and 2) but as soon as I select 'GO TO HANGER', it crashes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time

OJ
The xwingalliance.exe was wide screen patched, 1152x864 is set to be 1680x1050, please reference here:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/fo ... hp?t=13717
Find the maximum resolution of your screen and change it, I'm sure you will be very very happy.

waylon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by waylon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:05 pm

WildstarBlue9 wrote:Getting the word out would be my job, but I've been slacking. If you guys want to drop me a note about which missions are available in the latest version of XWC (PM is fine...let me know what other "bells & whistles" are available, too), I can post to the appropriate outlets. :D
My policy is "no mission left behind", all missions from original XwingCD are included int XWC, except for some mission can choose eazy and hard, I choosed hard one. Don't want to miss the fun.
Go ahead spread it out, the more peolpe enjoy playing this game the sooner LucasArts might release new one I hope.

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:10 pm

Hey, Waylon. It's good to see a public release. I'll download and play the release and continue working on the XWINGCD sounds ASAP.
btw. do you think the time is right to open up a ModDB profile for XWC?
Oh and I haven't received word from Benevolence for a few months now. I think I'll contact him tomorrow.

waylon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by waylon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:11 am

Fek'LeyrTarg wrote:Hey, Waylon. It's good to see a public release. I'll download and play the release and continue working on the XWINGCD sounds ASAP.
btw. do you think the time is right to open up a ModDB profile for XWC?
Oh and I haven't received word from Benevolence for a few months now. I think I'll contact him tomorrow.
All kinds of improvement are welcome to this project. What's ModDB profile?

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:41 pm

Something like a homepage for a mod hosted on ModDB.
Here's an example: http://www.moddb.com/mods/fwtow

Old_Jedi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Old_Jedi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:23 pm

Fek'LeyrTarg wrote:Something like a homepage for a mod hosted on ModDB.
Here's an example: http://www.moddb.com/mods/fwtow
That's the spirit! :D

OJ

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:40 pm

Hey, remember that I said that I was recording XWINGCD's sfx for XWA? My external HD has been destroyed and I'll have to restart the recordings from scratch.
@Waylon and RedLeader: Do you still have those sounds and can you send them to me, please?

Trousers_of_time
Recruit

Post by Trousers_of_time » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:27 am

I'd like to take a minute to thank you lot for this conversion. I decided about 2 weeks ago that I wanted to play X-wing again, loaded up Xwing95, and it looked so bad i couldn't play it. I new about the TFTC, so thought I'd have a look see if there was an X-wing one, and it turned out you guys had released this 2 days earlier. I've played it a fair bit since, and I'm really enjoying it. Xwing was a far better game than Alliance was, so its good to play it again.

I have come across a couple of problems though, thought you might want to know about them.
1. Sometimes the music breaks and starts looping. Having looked for a fix it seems that TFTC suffers from this as well so I don't know whether its fixable.

2. I can't get the voices for mission briefings working. I followed the instructions to get an ISO with them on, and they work, but then theres no sound effects in mission. I'm not sure if its something I'm doing wrong, but I'm not that fussed with the voices, so have gone back to using the CD, having silent mission briefings and having some sound effects ingame.

3. My Pilot file keeps corrupting. This is the biggie. For some reason I'll play a mission once, fail and give up and quit the game. The next time I'll come to play it it'll load up as far as the briefing and then crash, giving a just-in-time debugger message, and I can't do bugger all to fix it. Missions in the simulator will work, but the actual mission I'm playing won't. Play the mission with a different pilot and its fine. I've twice had to start a new pilot from scratch from this, and it then works. I'm backing up my pilot file a lot to get round this if it happens again!

4. Mission debriefings seem to be all over the place. Sometimes if I succeed a mission, I'll get the mission failed debrief and vice versa, and sometimes I'll only get half the text. As a workaround I've found a site with all the debriefs and printed them out.

I don't want to sound like I'm coming down on this mod, I really do think its awesome, and I've found workarounds for most of the things I consider problems. And I understand if these are things you don't want to or can't fix. From what I've read in this thread this conversion nearly didn't see the light of day, and to be honest I'm so glad I get to play it at all. I just figured you might want to know in case you were thinking of making any further changes. And if you need anything from me as a tester, then let me know.

Anyway, thanks again, I'm off to finish off the A-wing Historical missions and get started on Battle 1

waylon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by waylon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:56 am

Trousers_of_time wrote: I have come across a couple of problems though, thought you might want to know about them.
1. Sometimes the music breaks and starts looping. Having looked for a fix it seems that TFTC suffers from this as well so I don't know whether its fixable.
This happened on dual (or more) core CPU, so far I can't find a real fix for that, simple fix is just exit the game and re-enter.
Trousers_of_time wrote: 2. I can't get the voices for mission briefings working. I followed the instructions to get an ISO with them on, and they work, but then theres no sound effects in mission. I'm not sure if its something I'm doing wrong, but I'm not that fussed with the voices, so have gone back to using the CD, having silent mission briefings and having some sound effects ingame.
Try to re-install xwa select complete installation, or other way around, I forgot which one I choose from my installation. If it still not working, please let me know. Have you install DSUCP prior to XWC? You will have random problem without it.
Trousers_of_time wrote: 3. My Pilot file keeps corrupting. This is the biggie. For some reason I'll play a mission once, fail and give up and quit the game. The next time I'll come to play it it'll load up as far as the briefing and then crash, giving a just-in-time debugger message, and I can't do bugger all to fix it. Missions in the simulator will work, but the actual mission I'm playing won't. Play the mission with a different pilot and its fine. I've twice had to start a new pilot from scratch from this, and it then works. I'm backing up my pilot file a lot to get round this if it happens again!
This is due to pilot statistic, the design of XWA will have reward or other stuff after certain level, this is why I have trouble to make entire TFTC into the same installation, please use the xwc.plt that has been tested and you will start your game from battle one, training (except for B-wing) will be in combat chamber. Or you can use the pilot with completion of xwa original missions, that you will start from x-wing training.
Trousers_of_time wrote: 4. Mission debriefings seem to be all over the place. Sometimes if I succeed a mission, I'll get the mission failed debrief and vice versa, and sometimes I'll only get half the text. As a workaround I've found a site with all the debriefs and printed them out.
Oh... some missions you will need to hyper out anyway, otherwise system will take it as failed mission. If you still have trouble, please give me specific mission number and I will take a look. Did you overwrite all files from the pack to recplace your old files as instruction shows.
Trousers_of_time wrote: I don't want to sound like I'm coming down on this mod, I really do think its awesome, and I've found workarounds for most of the things I consider problems. And I understand if these are things you don't want to or can't fix. From what I've read in this thread this conversion nearly didn't see the light of day, and to be honest I'm so glad I get to play it at all. I just figured you might want to know in case you were thinking of making any further changes. And if you need anything from me as a tester, then let me know.

Anyway, thanks again, I'm off to finish off the A-wing Historical missions and get started on Battle 1
Thanks for your download and feedback, by the way, the xwingallince.exe was wide screen patched to 1680X1050, http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/fo ... hp?t=13717 if you have trouble entering the game using this exe file, please select 1024X768. However, I stongly suggest you to patch it into the highest resolution of your hardware with correct aspect ratio, that will give you a whole new world.

Trousers_of_time
Recruit

Post by Trousers_of_time » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:58 pm

So, I'm now about 6 missions into Tour of Duty one and things are going a lot smoother. Got my machine running on just one core so no music looping issues any more, my pilot file seems to be behaving, hasn't corrupted once, (although I'm still backing up just in case). I haven't tried to get the mission briefing voices working again yet, might give it a go tomorrow.

I did have a nightmare on the last A-wing historical mission, kept finishing it only to either get destroyed by the army of Tie Interceptors at the end or having to quit with a 2000 point penalty, causing me to fail the mission. It wasn't till my 10th attempt that I noticed the nav buoy activate. Because I hadn't needed one in any of the previous missions, it hadn't occured to me that there might be one there. That might be something to stick in the readme, as its a slight variation on the orgianl X-wing missions. Also, I think its mission 4 of Tour 1, I hyperspace back home only to find myself about 2 foot from the engines of my own capital ship! Most evil of you, thank god I still had decent shields or the engine wash would have killed me!

Also, now I'm into the Tour of Duty, the mission debriefs seem to have dissappeared completely. Mission 1 had one, but no others seem to. I can't remember if that was the case with the original game or not, it just seemed odd.

Still really enjoying this mod, its such a shame that joystick space sims have died out on the PC, I'd forgotton how awesome these games are.

waylon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by waylon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:20 am

Trousers_of_time wrote: ....... That might be something to stick in the readme, as its a slight variation on the orgianl X-wing missions. Also, I think its mission 4 of Tour 1, I hyperspace back home only to find myself about 2 foot from the engines of my own capital ship! Most evil of you, thank god I still had decent shields or the engine wash would have killed me!

Also, now I'm into the Tour of Duty, the mission debriefs seem to have dissappeared completely. Mission 1 had one, but no others seem to. I can't remember if that was the case with the original game or not, it just seemed odd.

Still really enjoying this mod, its such a shame that joystick space sims have died out on the PC, I'd forgotton how awesome these games are.
I will put this note on the readme for the next release. About the mission 2 foot from engines things, I was going to change that, but I think this is something might happened when you hyper out in a rush. Hope you can enjoy the supirse.
There is no debreifing from original X-wingCD, for T1M1 defriefing text should belong to briefing, I will have to move it back for next release.
As you play through, can you also note down mission numbers for those good missions, I plan to use those missions as building block of clone war conversion I'm working now.
Yes, joysitck sim game looks almost like real thing compare with FPS, it's not forgotten, it go us.

Trousers_of_time
Recruit

Post by Trousers_of_time » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:40 am

Hyperjumping straight into some engine wash was a bit of a surprise, I'll give you that, and I quite enjoyed it, I'm just glad I wasn't low on shields! Played a few more missions tonight, had so much fun, will keep note of the ones I really enjoy for you. Again, so glad this conversion has seen the light of day, I'd probably never have played this game again otherwise.

Fibology
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Fibology » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:11 pm

In the mission rescue at star's end, the transport is too close to the freighter, if u hit it until explode it'll take the freighter with it.
is there another way to make this mission a success other then using Allied?

Fibology
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Fibology » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:13 pm

Two thumbs up for all your hard work, cant wait until the redux is done. Keep up the good work! :D

waylon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by waylon » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:02 am

Fibology wrote:In the mission rescue at star's end, the transport is too close to the freighter, if u hit it until explode it'll take the freighter with it.
is there another way to make this mission a success other then using Allied?
This was designed by original xwing, you will have to direct all power to engine and kill the TRN asap, the sooner you neutrialize it, the less damage your freighter will get. Then you will have to deal with T/B later, once they lauch torpedo, you will have to intercept, that's the fun part. I tested fly all missions, some are tough but should all be workable. Please post any feedback you have, and thanks for playing.

Fibology
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Fibology » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:45 pm

Thnx for ur reply, i already editted the mission, stupid me.. thought it couldnt be done.
So you tested all missions? Great! im stuck in another one now but if u tested beforehand this one must be do-able aswell. Again thank u very much! :^^:

waylon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by waylon » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:01 am

Fibology wrote:Thnx for ur reply, i already editted the mission, stupid me.. thought it couldnt be done.
So you tested all missions? Great! im stuck in another one now but if u tested beforehand this one must be do-able aswell. Again thank u very much! :^^:
You would have to use those old tricks such as hidding in the blind spot behine CRV, wound the T/B instead of killing them so reinforcement will not come slow, intercept warheads... I think I put hints on some of those missions. Hope you can enjoy it.

Fibology
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Fibology » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Waylon,

I am enjoying it already, but i still would like to see the Redux finished :D

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:02 pm

We will have the Redux translation and the Conversion finished one day. :)

mlsal3
Recruit

Post by mlsal3 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:15 am

Hi everybody,

This is a great conversion, but i have one problem. I followed the instructions for the briefing audio to the letter, but when the briefing starts ackbar talks for a few seconds then it cuts out. If i restart the briefing he can sometimes talk longer or shorter, but normally cuts out. Any ideas?

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:22 pm

I haven't tried it out, yet.
But what hardware do you have? (graphics card etc)

waylon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by waylon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:35 pm

mlsal3 wrote:Hi everybody,

This is a great conversion, but i have one problem. I followed the instructions for the briefing audio to the letter, but when the briefing starts ackbar talks for a few seconds then it cuts out. If i restart the briefing he can sometimes talk longer or shorter, but normally cuts out. Any ideas?
Which mission you have problem or all of them have problem?
You mean when briefing text update, voice didn't follow up or not even finish the first sentence?
First located the mission file name for those you have problem, for example the file name for Tour I mission 1 is 1b11m1xwc.tie, its breifing voice files will be in [XWA_disc2]:\Wave\Frontend\B11M1\ check if they are all playable from your PC.
Next, run dxdiag.exe and check if dxsound are okay.
You can use original mission.lst file to check if original have the same problem, if everything check out okay, the problem might be wave decode, I think Fek'LeyrTarg should have better idea about this. Hope this will be helpful.