No lasers with shuttle

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

No lasers with shuttle

livefree75
Bounty Hunter

Post by livefree75 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:56 pm

I seem to be having a problem with the Lambda-class shuttle. The problem is much like the problem some people had with the Missile Boat/Assault Gunboat but is fixed now. Anyway, here's the point.

The shuttle won't fire in the game because it says "Lasers cannot fire because S-foils are closed". But when I try to open the S-Foils, it says "Your craft does not have S-Foils". :irre: If anyone can tell me how they fixed the Missile Boat problem, I could try it with this.

—Nick :D
cannonscannotfirewithsfoilsclosed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DarkLordZekrom
Cadet 4th Class

Post by DarkLordZekrom » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:56 am

The shuttle isn't supposed to be playable. I don't know why you can use it in battle, unless you made it playable using MXvTED or if it just installed that way. It could probably be fixed using the method used to fix the Gun/Missile Boats, but bottom line, you're not supposed to use the shuttle in campaign missions. In skirmishes, it should work fine.

livefree75
Bounty Hunter

Post by livefree75 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:55 pm

Thank you for your advice, however I don't know how to fix the gunboat/missile boat problem. Can it be done using Mxvted4.0?

DarkLordZekrom
Cadet 4th Class

Post by DarkLordZekrom » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:47 am

I'm not sure how exactly, as I'm not that experienced with MXvTED myself. You should probably ask Matt, the creator of the original OPTs, about that, but I doubt he's still active on the site.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:43 am

Why bother asking Matt, when I made the Shuttle, and no it can't be done, with any version of MXvTED!!

It's not meant to be flyable, so I'm not wasting my time explaining how!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:38 am

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I'm with the original poster on this. I understand that the shuttle isn't supposed to be flyable, but I like to build custom campaigns and several times I had the need for non/light combat missions that don't call for fighters but in the process of flying from one place to another, you can see story unfold via the capitol ships in the area.. Now theoretically it would be super neat and very imperial to be able to fly the shuttle... with engine sounds, and unfolding wings... and even weapons. If someone wanted to tackle this project, is it complex and time consuming? I have no idea what goes into making "non-flyable" slots "flyable". I strangely always wanted a lamba with actual cockpit, engine sounds and all the rest of the bells and whistles.

I remember WAY back when there was some sort of hex editor fix to fix the s-foils thing before the gunboat and skipray got fixed. I seem to remember applying a patch to make the wings permanently stay unfolded... as a stop gap fix. Did we ever figure out the s-foils flag in the code? Is it even possible to modify theoretically?

By the way... in the last decade... you guys have done some wonderful stuff... bravo.
Image Image Image Image Image

DARoot
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by DARoot » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:26 am

Search Jefe Picaro's site [Astilleros estelares - in the Links section] for "S-Foils Patch." (it's under \Programs\Related to craft).
Quote:
".. Author: CEO Derrick "Trident" Huntington (autor), Den Darkhill (autor).
Download:
- xwasfoils.rar (16,06 KB)
Description:
Modifies the executable of the game (v.2.02) to allow the use of the shuttle or the gunboat in the single player mode.
This is an improved version of Trident's one, that allows to change executables even if they've been already patched or changed before.."
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken ...

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:14 pm

That's super helpful. I'll check it out. Any idea how hard it is to add engine sounds to a vehicle slot? I think the gunboats engine sounds would be perfect. I'm sorta interested in finally figuring out how all this modding stuff works...

DARoot
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by DARoot » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:26 pm

A reasonably decent cockpit for the thing --
http://www.xwaupgrade.com/
[Under \games\general, from April 2009]

Sorry. I know nothing about adding engine sounds.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:58 pm

I'm thinking you expected that hyperlink to have more info to it. That just takes me to the main page.

DARoot
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by DARoot » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:18 am

Exactly.
That's why I included the "supplementary information" concerning the Section of the Forum containing those posts, and the post dates.
[Or, you could have "searched" for "Lambda Shuttle," and found it that way].

Apparently, this Forum Software doesn't recognize the "easy way" to link to previous posts (or even the thread), that I've always used elsewhere.
At least, I don't know how it's done here.
And, I'm not on this Forum often enough to try to figure it out.

But, I see you found that thread, so -- All's well that ends well.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:52 pm

My apologies. I found the thread eventaully. I just forgot to edit this post. I got sidetracked with adding .wav files to my missions using a very good British sounding text to voice voicepack. FYI .wav files can only have so many characters in the file name before XWA won't play them. Took me 2 hours to figure that out.... but I digress.