Do you 'tweak' missions?

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Do you 'tweak' missions?

Safe-Keeper
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Safe-Keeper » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:23 pm

So I'm playing/editing XWA again, but I find that whenever I replay old missions, I typically end up firing up AlliED to change certain things about them -- fixing bugs and changing arrival times, orders and whatnot to make them more exciting or balanced :) . At one point I even decided to go through the whole XWA single-player campaign and tweak every mission for public release, but I ended up dropping the idea.

I'm currently playing the mission where you have to rescue Aeron from an asteroid shipyard under attack from the Executor and a small fleet of Star Destroyers. I always found it a little "tame", so (among many other changes) I gave a couple of the TIE Bombers Mag Pulse warheads and made more of them arrive right away.

IMHO, the mission rocks now. You actually have to fight your way to the asteroid base and then hold off TIE Fighters and Bombers as they pummel you with mag pulses, torpedoes and laser fire (and you actually have to plan your approach now, and probably seek assistance from the Bulk Cruiser and X-Wings). The fleeing Rebel ships also all go down the same path now, increasing the survival chances of individual ships.

Am I the only one who does this, or do some others of you also 'tweak' missions as you rediscover them ;) ?

Kirejara
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kirejara » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Of course I do it. ;)

In most cases I change totally illogical or senseless missions (for example the mass suicide attack of the rebel corvettes in the "Destroy the Frigate Red Wind" in original X-Wing. The Rebels lack starships, but they simply throw a fleet of corvettes out of the window for nothing? I do not think so.).

Otherwise I adjust the missions to my piloting skills: In other words I make them easier... :ops:

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:41 pm

The only times I've "tweaked" missions were the Battle of Endor missions. There's a few groups of TIEs that are added according to difficulty. I added them in no matter what level I play on, makes it much more fun. Apart from that, I change the names of some flight groups to make it more movie like. For example..

Y-wing Gold is now Gray, but kept the color of the Y-wings gold.
B-wing Gray is now Blue.
A-wing Green is the same, but changed the color of the ship from Green to Red.
Changed the Falcon's name from M. Falcon to Gold Leader.

Slightly off topic, I have also edited some crafts using MXvTED, mainly the Corellian Transports. Instead of having all of them read CORT in your HUD, the Otana is now YT-2000, the Outrider is YT-2400, etc. It just looks better I think.
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles
https://www.freewebs.com/redleaderxwa/

livefree75
Bounty Hunter

Post by livefree75 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:58 pm

I like to change missions sometimes. I also look to other missions to find out how to do certain stuff. :D

Safe-Keeper
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Safe-Keeper » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:09 pm

Changed the Falcon's name from M. Falcon to Gold Leader.
I did that too, also changed the designation to YT-1300.
I mean, seriously, "FALC M. Falcon"? wut.
Also changed a lot of other designations (X/W to T-65c, A-Wing to RZ-1, Y-wing to BTL, CRV to RC90 etc.), but I suppose that's sort of off-topic.
I like to change missions sometimes. I also look to other missions to find out how to do certain stuff. :D
Yeah, it's great for that, too ;) . As a matter of fact, even after using AlliED for a looong time, I still do it, to be honest.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Safe-Keeper wrote:Also changed a lot of other designations (X/W to T-65c, A-Wing to RZ-1, Y-wing to BTL, CRV to RC90 etc.), but I suppose that's sort of off-topic.
I always changed the SSD to Executor-class. I think in XWA I fixed the MonCal designators, too.
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt