NEED Help Getting Started with the ALLIED editor

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

NEED Help Getting Started with the ALLIED editor

RogueSquadronRules
Recruit

Post by RogueSquadronRules » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi All,

I'm sending out an SOS to anyone who can help me get started with ALLIED to make new custom missions w/ custom backdrops..
I already tried reading the DTMSBv1.0Readme file and found another guide that came with ALLIED but it all seemed like gibberish to me. I didn't find them helpful..could be the lack of sleep but I'm feeling overwhelmed just trying to use ALLIED on my own..
(Sorry if I look like such a noob.. I already tried Search and typed in ALLIED and didn't find much help either)

But I would be very grateful if someone could help me get started by walking me through making 2 simple missions, nothing fancy as shown below.

Here are two missions I'd like to create:

1) Have a group of Y-wings disable an enemy Frigate and having a Shuttle or Transport capture it.

2) Have a Capital Ship Battle with an MC80 Cruiser vs an ISD with a handful of fighters on each side.

So far, people in this forum have been very kind and helpful and I'm thankful to be in such a comfortable environment..haven't seen any flaming like in other forums.

Anyway,
Thanks in Advance! :D

RogueSquadronRules
Recruit

Post by RogueSquadronRules » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:09 am

Well, I messaged some forum members who were very kind...and they sent me some helpful PMs..looks like I was reading the wrong stuff in the guides that came with ALLIED.

Although if anyone has any extra input I'll happily take it...I'll let you all know how it goes!

One thread had a sentence that really made me want to get rolling with ALLIED...and that was ".. Once you learn Allied, you'll seldom use the Skirmish Editor again .."

I'd like to give a big thank you to member DARoot! :D

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:13 pm

Keep us up-to-date ;)

And yes, the only reason I use skirmish now, is to quick-test how fighters/capitals perform against each other.

RogueSquadronRules
Recruit

Post by RogueSquadronRules » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:06 am

Thanks Jaeven!

I'm sooo close...Maybe someone can help me cross the finish line!

Before I was having issues trying to edit the mission.lst file I but got around that.

I can open it now in XWA via '"Brefing Room"'.. I enter the briefing room...it shows the title of my mission...but when I click on "To Hangar" to load the mission XWA crashes...I wonder what I'm missing... I'm so close!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:43 pm

There could be a variety of reasons for that. Did Allied show any errors when you saved the mission? Are you using any opts that might be broken? Is there more than one player craft? If you could upload the mission somewhere it'd be easy to take a look and find the error ;)

RogueSquadronRules
Recruit

Post by RogueSquadronRules » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:51 pm

I might take you up on that offer Jaeven :^^:

Um..I was getting some errors at first when saving...like the naming of the misison but I corrected that. And not too sure on the other things you mentioned..I'll definitely take you up on your offer if I can't figure this out :-)

TBH I didn't get too far in making my mission...as mentioned I wanted to create an old school mission like from the original X-wing of 1993...have Y-wings disable a Frigate..then have it captured by a Shuttle or Transport...

I think the problem is I didn't put a cruiser in for the Y-wings to take off from. I kinda want the fighters just to plop there... kinda like in Skirmish mode where you're just planted in space? Or do you NEED a cruiser to take off from?

And in ALLIED, I stopped after I put the enemy Frigate in...I wanted to test the mission to see how much would be in it ...Not sure where I stopped EXACTLY and what were the last things I did.... I'm sure you'd find PLENTY of holes in my custom mission haha.

I've been following the ALIED tutorial (Which I think is kinda dry in some places IMO..or outdated..(As I'm following it step by step, I'll reach a part where it'll say "Hit THIS button that has a planet on it...but I don't see it anywhere on ALLIED ..something to do with backdrops? but I followed the README from DTM and got my backdrop in...I think..) and I've been getting some advice from a kind forum member.

I'll try to see if I can do this on my own first..if I feel totally stuck I'll upload my mission file to dropbox or something for you to look at...

Thanks for the response Jaeven!

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:17 pm

RogueSquadronRules wrote:I might take you up on that offer Jaeven :^^:

Um..I was getting some errors at first when saving...like the naming of the misison but I corrected that. And not too sure on the other things you mentioned..I'll definitely take you up on your offer if I can't figure this out :-)

TBH I didn't get too far in making my mission...as mentioned I wanted to create an old school mission like from the original X-wing of 1993...have Y-wings disable a Frigate..then have it captured by a Shuttle or Transport...

I think the problem is I didn't put a cruiser in for the Y-wings to take off from. I kinda want the fighters just to plop there... kinda like in Skirmish mode where you're just planted in space? Or do you NEED a cruiser to take off from?

And in ALLIED, I stopped after I put the enemy Frigate in...I wanted to test the mission to see how much would be in it ...Not sure where I stopped EXACTLY and what were the last things I did.... I'm sure you'd find PLENTY of holes in my custom mission haha.

I've been following the ALIED tutorial (Which I think is kinda dry in some places IMO..or outdated..(As I'm following it step by step, I'll reach a part where it'll say "Hit THIS button that has a planet on it...but I don't see it anywhere on ALLIED ..something to do with backdrops? but I followed the README from DTM and got my backdrop in...I think..) and I've been getting some advice from a kind forum member.

I'll try to see if I can do this on my own first..if I feel totally stuck I'll upload my mission file to dropbox or something for you to look at...

Thanks for the response Jaeven!
It shouldn't really matter where they launch from. The only thing that could bug the mission in terms of that would be if you couldn't land, but that wouldn't cause the mission to crash.

But yeah, if you can't figure it out on your own, just upload it somewhere and I'll take a look ;)