"Imperial XWA" New Uniform and Ranks!

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

"Imperial XWA" New Uniform and Ranks!

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:19 am

For those of you who prefer the idea that the Imperial Naval Starfighter Corp pilots wear black dress uniforms, this tweak might be for you.

I took the original Imperial XWA Art (which I cant find anymore BTW) and modified it to appear black. Additionally, I redid all of the ranks and their accompanying rank cylinders. I based it loosely on more recent canon rank guides.

Images of the changes can be found in this imgur album. http://imgur.com/a/PoKH3

I have not posted a link to the DL yet. I'm still working out how to package this... and whether or not I can even distribute this as I modified the original authors work. If that's a nogo... I can take some picture of my own uniform and characatuerize them... You the community and admins can help me out with whats right regarding posting a DL.

Please give any and all feedback about the artwork.. This is my offering for the many years of work you have all put into this classic game that holds a special place in my heart. I'd also love for a more talented modder to make me a flyable lamba with all the fixins... ;)

Download

Campaign Point Values Associated with Ranks (Original XWA Rank)

0 Ensign (recruit)
100 Sub Lieutenant (Flight Cadet)
10000 Lieutenant (Flight Officer)
17500 Lt Commander (Lieutenant JG)
25000 Commander (Lieutenant)
33000 Captain (Captain)
41000 Line Captain (Lt Commander)
52000 Commodore (Commander)
65000 Rear Admiral (General)
Last edited by ual002 on Fri May 11, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Image Image Image Image Image

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:45 pm

I did a little digging and finally found the DL for Imperial XWA. Looks like the original Authors were Michal, Darksaber and General_Trageton. Any of you guys want to chime in on my changes? I modified one of your pieces of artwork. Are you ok with me posting a DL link?

Atruejedi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Atruejedi » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:20 am

This is cool! Would definitely come in handy for a TIE Fighter conversion project... ;)

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:34 pm

Thanks. I was hoping to get permission to post this, but I'm sorta unsure what to do.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:18 pm

You had better ask General Trageton as he made the original images, not I
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:02 am

Ual002, nice, but also, you could probably find ample non-copyright pics of the real life uniforms on the net .. . 501st's parades, gatherings, celebrations, all over the world for example. A lot of die-hard fans have those costumes and pics on social media etc. Also, a more productive use of your time.... if you wanted to radically change the room of the Crew Quarter's to something totally different and new, that would be very helpful. See JM Dare's website via DS's site. You need to spend a lot of time understanding and experimenting how the .dat images work and be fairly proficient in a paint program. Then a lot of testing and re-editing, if you dedicate the time. :/
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:59 pm

Ive got my own uniform I could use. The attempt here was to have the same art flavor and honor the original author. Uniform color, code cylinder count and position, pocket for the code cylinders and the ranks themselves all changed (all flipped too). Hopefully the changes we executed without overall fanfare to preserve the original art flavor.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:46 am

Still have the files... I was wondering if anyone in charge wants me to post?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:55 am

Yeah post it up, lifes too short
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:11 am

Roger, I'll give it a go tommorow and post links. I was balancing installing the new DSUCP 2.4, getting my joystick to work and prepping my TIE bucket for PC audio this evening before I got ALLiED installed. Turns out ALLiED is not working for me, getting all sorts of access violations and I got tunnel vision trying to fix. Any insight? Win10, GOG version, seemed remember not having issues a few months back.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:18 pm

What happened to the links?

And sorry I can't help with Allied I'm still using Win 7 x64
- John Lydgate

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:05 am

Sorry for the delay.

Download

You're welcome to do whatever you want with it.
Last edited by ual002 on Fri May 11, 2018 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:39 am

Did you change the ranks in the Fronttxt.txt file, if so can you upload that as well please
- John Lydgate

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:28 pm

It's all in the zip. Yes sir.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:50 pm

Oh yeah sorry, totally bypassed it :)
- John Lydgate

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:20 pm

Hi ual002, just a quick question

I'm updating the uniforms to your, but looking at the Fronttxt.txt file you included with your files and looking at the ranks

Edited :D

Then comparing them to the image you posted with the ranks they don't seem to correspond, I mean you have a Warrent Officer and Ensign, but in the ranking list above there is no Warrent Officer of Ensign

Could you possibly confirm or explain

Thanks
- John Lydgate

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:17 pm

I feel like you're looking at the section for the ranks on the helmet you receive from the combat sim. But its been a while since I dug into the Fronttxt file. If you install the folders and the Fronttxt I included it should display properly, but it was based off an older DSUCP build. I'm not sure if there are changes in that since I put that together. I've considered redoing the close up shots of the uniform (more zoomed out) to include both sides of the uniform. I have my own uniform I can take a photo of and "cartoonize".

Long story short, I'm at work for the next 7 hrs, I might be able to remote into my desktop at home when I get a moment and make sense of it and report back.

EDIT:

!STR_RANK_1!Warrant Officer
!STR_RANK_2!Cadet
!STR_RANK_3!Ensign
!STR_RANK_4!Sub Lieutenant
!STR_RANK_5!Lieutenant
!STR_RANK_6!Lt. Commander
!STR_RANK_7!Commander
!STR_RANK_8!Captain
!STR_RANK_9!Line Captain

These are affected by points accrued in the story mission I believe. The idea would be to make a pilot and use a pilot editor to set the next mission to the one following endor, make sure your ranks are set to lowest setting, install some sort of imperial campaign following the last stock XWA battle and then watch your rank increase as you complete missions and get points. I'm also considering starting the rank only as low as Ensign and progressing up to admiral because I would imagine a combat pilot flying missions would have graduated an officer/flight academy and be an acting ensign.
Last edited by ual002 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Oh, and if you're willing to put it in the DSUCP install along with the Imperial concourse, I was thinking about making an alternate version. One for pre A New Hope ranks in addition to the post ANH version.

The version I made is an best guess based on deductive reasoning in the films after A New Hope.

The pre ANH version was fleshed out in R1. Now this is gonna sound like bragging and it is a little but hear me out. Being in the 501st I was privy to a conversation where our officer Corp managed to get a hold of the lead costume designer for Rogue One who said that when he worked on R1 one of the things that bothered him was the inconsistency of imperial ranks, so he made a Pre-ANH rank bar rank chart and shared it with us internally. I can see if I can dig that up and make a version for that. It uses only single rows of tiles.

Im hoping that chart got inherited by the team working on Solo but we arent that special in the 501 so we all have to find out together.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the permission, if you want to update the images using your uniform that would be great plus zooming out would make sense since the ranking system is on both sides of the uniform

And sorry I posted the wrong part of the fronttxt.txt, I knew there was another part that had the ranks, but couldn't see it for looking

What ever you think is best I'll add, after all your i the 501st :)

Thanks
- John Lydgate

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:01 am

Here's the new version with a bug fix for the black uniform showing in the quarters at a distance instead of close up. I neglected to notice that frontend_ucp.dat was a thing.

Preview album updated. https://imgur.com/a/PoKH3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6e4evtdm1jk5v ... 2.zip?dl=0

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:18 am

Awesome!
I would surely wear one of those uniforms... if I only weren't committed to the Alliance. :D
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:53 pm

Cheers ual002, they look great, bit creased but great, thanks :D
- John Lydgate

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:14 pm

Yea, was having lighting issues so I finally just layed them down on the ground.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:21 am

Edited post to include point values associated with ranks based of an old post found on this site for the vanilla rebel ranks.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Mon May 14, 2018 5:22 am

ual002 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:19 am

Campaign Point Values Associated with Ranks (Original XWA Rank)

0 Ensign (recruit)
100 Sub Lieutenant (Flight Cadet)
10000 Lieutenant (Flight Officer)
17500 Lt Commander (Lieutenant JG)
25000 Commander (Lieutenant)
33000 Captain (Captain)
41000 Line Captain (Lt Commander)
52000 Commodore (Commander)
65000 Rear Admiral (General)
I’m not an expert of Imperial ranks because I fight for my ideals on the Alliance side, but I see you did an extremely accurate work comparing the Imperial Navy Rank Guide from The Essential Guide to Warfare (page 120) and the ranks from vanilla X-Wing Alliance, including the score required.

10000 Lieutenant (Officer)
Officers serving in a ship’s crew are known generally as lieutenants regardless of rank

I also see you avoided using that silly “Junior” and “Senior” nomenclature

17500 Lt Commander (instead of Junior Commander)
25000 Commander (instead of Senior Commander)
33000 Captain (Captain)
41000 Line Captain (instead of Senior Captain)
There are very few officers with permanent line ranks above senior captain (formally known as captain of the line).
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.