New effects

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Re: New effects

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:26 pm

Yes please if you could PM me

I'm sure DTM wouldn't mind, It would only be a matter of inserting the Death Star image from his Dsfire.dat to yours :)

and thanks :D
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:51 pm

Gone a month and I miss this. What an absolutely outstanding job this is, Kiarand. Thank you so much :D

A bit off topic, but I noticed you replaced the ingame music with Rogue One music pretty flawlessly. If I may ask, what program did you use? My prior attempts to replace the music have gone rather poorly.

Kiarand
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Kiarand » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:30 am

Flawlessly... :D
Well, I only showed parts where it was working kind of ok. I would need to put some more effort into it to make it good actually.

I used the IMC Music Editor by Jeremy which you can find right under this topic as well. It's one of the stickies.

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:07 pm

You are making an outstanding work! Sure, you have my permission to use the Super Backdrop files!

Kiarand
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Kiarand » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:43 pm

Thank you very much. So once again the link was updated on the first post. The changes are tiny and if you just didn't read what I have done, a short summary of my post.
Kiarand wrote:The transition of the hyperspace animation is now much better. You can only barely notice when the loop restarts.
I added a bit of initial glow to these sparks in the cockpit.
The death star's laser has been slightly changed.
Just to reinsure you this is still not final. But I will have a bit less time to work on it, so progress will be somewhat slower but I will continue working on it.

Feedback is of course still highly welcome. Just tell me if you think this could maybe look better if this or that would be changed and I will look into it.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:30 am

Just tested them. Look great in-game. Thanks Kiarand.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Kampher
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kampher » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:34 pm

I just wanted to pop in and say these effects are amazing! Thank you for taking the time to make these. They make a huge difference.

On a side note, I noticed that the turbolasers on your ISD in the custom mission were much faster. Did you edit them yourself, or is there a mod out there similar? It drives me nuts how I can practically fly faster than those lasers.

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:55 am

I Like the fast Laser Salves too. How did you Edit them?

Kiarand
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Kiarand » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:10 am

I edited them myself. If I remember right you can change it with a tool called BHE. You can find it on Darksaber site in the file archive under BHE modules. However I couldn't edit the weapon speed with it for some reason so I had to do it manually and hex edited the exe. But normally it should work so you can give it a try. There you can also change many other stats quite easily.

Sorry for the late answer.

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:59 am

can you send me the mission with the kuat yards from empire at war you have modded for xwa? Looks very beauty

Kiarand
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Kiarand » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Hey there,
now after quite some time I finally had time AND motivation to continue this little project. But instead of working on anything new because there isn't much left I have had begun to rework some of the older effects. They were looking good to me when I made them but during this process I got better and so the later effects have a much better quality than the first ones in my opinion.
So I recreated the shield effects, changed the laser hit effect slightly and changed that part I referred to as flames and smoke (so the effects when a small craft is destroyed).
As usually I've created a small video to show what has changed. Here is the link: https://youtu.be/O67DtT8rlUc
Please forgive me my poor piloting skills at the moment but I'm having trouble with the calibration of my joystick together with vjoy so it's hyper sensitive making it hard to control. :kopfwand:
Anyways, leave me some feedback whether you like it or not. The download link on my first post has been updated.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:25 pm

Nice. :thumbs:

Kiarand
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Kiarand » Tue May 15, 2018 11:07 am

Hello there,
a long time ago in a galaxy which is our own I have had started this project and now I have come back with a little update for you.
So, this isn't much. It's basically just some new explosions because I have never been really content with the looks of the old ones especially that big explosion on starships wasn't really the greatest. To be honest it was rather a placeholder because I have had hoped to redo this earlier but since time is always the first casualty when studying as it seems this wasn't the case. But now I have finally come back and hope you will like what you see. As usual I have uploaded a video on Youtube to show what has changed. Here is the link: https://youtu.be/52LMtBDP0XE

If it seems to you as if it is lagging then you are right. My computer is decaying much faster than I would like. I really should clean it up.

The download link on my first post has been updated.
I hope to hear from you. Feedback is always welcome :)

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue May 15, 2018 10:58 pm

Kiarand are you sure you updated the link on the first post as it's still showing Kiarand's special effects v.0.3.rar which you released back in 5th December 2017
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Kiarand
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Kiarand » Wed May 16, 2018 5:50 am

Thank you very much. In fact I provided you the wrong link. Sorry for that. The dates helped with that because my Explosions.dat file is of course more up to date.
However the other may still be older. I think DS might have done something to them for his installer because I definitely didn't change them all on the same day within an hour. But apart from that there should be no difference, more important so no visual difference.
I updated that download link. It should be right this time.

By the way, criticizing is very important. How else am I supposed what or what isn't good for other in order to become better :)

As always don't forget that installing the debris.dat will only look alright, when turning off debris in the options menu because otherwise you have many tiny little explosions floating in space. If you want to keep your space junk, simply don't install it.

Kiarand
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Kiarand » Wed May 16, 2018 9:40 am

Well okay. I thought them to be much better than the old ones. Hmm I'll see what I can do. Probably recolouring wasn't a bad idea at all. Sorry that I wasn't thinking of it.
I guess I still have a lot to learn.
I actually tried to take inspiration of the battlefront explosions because each time I tried to make it look like fire and smoke it always seemed pretty strange in-game. Outside of the game it looked okay but things never really turn out as one would like.
Still thank you. After all it is supposed to look good so it doesn't really matter what I would like to hear as it would cause stagnation even though it doesn't feel as nice.

However I must tell you that this may take a while as I don't feel capable enough (not yet at least) to make something what you may like. After all I am just a guy improvising some stuff with PS and I usually have like no idea of what I am actually doing. :D
Explosion.gif
Like that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed May 16, 2018 10:54 am

Personally I feel the explosions in v0.3 wasn't that bad I liked them, I prefer them better to this new version you have done.

And your right it's a learning curve for everyone. :D Well done with what you have done though.
- John Lydgate

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Wed May 16, 2018 11:00 am

Darksaber wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:35 am

Sorry, but I'm not keen at all on the new explosions, there isn't any oranges or yellows you associate with fire or an explosion, just search google for "star wars explosion" you'll get the general idea :)

The new explosions are just different shades of red/pink, to me they look more like a firework effect and not a conversional explosion
Gotta say I'm with DS on this one.

'Fireworks' was exactly the thought I had immediately on seeing them. The bright flash at the end is a nice touch, but in general I think these are less dramatic and less impressive than the original TG explosions.

The original explosions are mostly fine, in my eyes, they're just obviously very low res and low detailed. I think any improvements should focus on adding detail and sharpening things up rather than trying to 'upgrade' things with simulated particle effects or whatever. As DS said, the explosions in Star Wars may not be realistic, but that's the feel this game is trying to emulate.

Worth pointing out at this point that it's still far, far better than anything I could do.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

Kiarand
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Kiarand » Wed May 16, 2018 11:11 am

I will concentrate to get what I have done now a bit better. It will be much less frustating than to start the whole thing again (I don't how often I have already started from zero).
If you then still don't like it we'll see if I will just redo it once more but maybe I just won't and then others may try their luck :D.

@Darksaber
I am totally fine when you modified what I did. Just tell me so I know.

Kiarand
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Kiarand » Fri May 18, 2018 11:22 pm

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
I think you will like the improvements to the prior explosions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat May 19, 2018 1:21 am

I really like the explosions in that gif.

I'd also like to add it looks incredibly cinematic in general, right until your ship dies :D

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat May 19, 2018 1:38 am

Looks better. IMHO, I'd reduce the total number of sparks/fireworks coming out of the center of explosions and use a little more of a cloud/bubbles effect brush in your paint program. Keep up the great work and initiative! Neat .jif file. Too bad .jifs cant' be used inside this game.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Kiarand
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Kiarand » Sat May 19, 2018 3:02 pm

Jaeven wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 1:21 am
right until your ship dies :D
I forgot to mention that there were no A wing pilots harmed in the making of this gif...

Okay maybe one or two... but they were volunteers :D

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:26 pm

Wann kommen die Explosionseffekte aus dem Gife @ Kiarand?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm

Please keep your posts to English

And Kiarand hasn't been around here since June 2018
- John Lydgate