XWA Patch to enable Tour of Duty in Multi

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

XWA Patch to enable Tour of Duty in Multi

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:31 am

Hey folks,

I have created a patch using JeremyaFr's XWAExePatcher that allows Tour of Duty/Combat Engagement to be accessed through the in-game buttons in multiplayer.
This is far easier to use than my previous solution and it also fixes a crash when loading a multiplayer mission with a briefing in singleplayer.
Be sure to place the included "COMBAT" folder into your XWA installation.

EDIT: If using XWAUP/DSUCP with the patch, install XWAUP 1.4/DSUCP 2.4 first, then install the patch.

Please read the included README file and let me know of any issues you may encounter.

Updated to 1.1

Changelog:

- Added 8 player XWA campaign
- Added some combat engagement missions

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... 3ABC222981
Last edited by Justagai on Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:40 am

Okay, before installing DSUCP it works fine. However, once I install DSUCP the button to the Combat Engagement button disappears.

I tried re-applying the patch after installing the DSUCP to see what would happen. The button reappears under the chat bar in the top left portion of the screen. I hit the button to open the game mode and the game CTDs.

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:16 am

So I installed XWAUP 1.4 and it looks like it removes any changes to the exe on install.

From the XWAUP installer:
If you’ve modified XWA it will be backed up, so if or when you decide to uninstall the XWAUCPv1.4 everything should be restored.

I have had to RESET everything back to its DEFAULT SETTINGS, so there is a clean EXE to apply the new updated settings and offsets. As there are so many changes applied to the EXE, any third party changes may become a problem and crash the EXE. This then takes the EXE patching out of my control, so the easiest thing was to just RESET the EXE back to DEFAULT.
This is a bit of a problem. I'll try to see if I can get the patch working after the installation is done. Otherwise the best bet would be to integrate the patch into XWAUP/DSUCP.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:00 am

Yes it's true the exe gets reset back to default while installing either the XWAUP/DSUCP, so applying any changes to the exe before installing either the XWAUP/DSUCP will first be backed up then wiped, this is so I have a clean exe to apply changes too.

So installing beforehand is pointless, This Patch needs to be applied AFTER the XWAUP/DSUCP is installed.

My question is, Why should it be integrated into either the XWAUP/DSUCP, when it should work fine after either of these are installed?

I've checked your offsets against any of the offsets JeremyaFr found and yours don't interfere with those, so theoretically it should work, unless your offsets are wrong.

I thought there may have been a crossover but your offsets are independent of any of the offsets changed by either the XWAUP/DSUCP.

Neither of XWAUP/DSUCP installers interfere with any of the multiplayer settings, why should they? I didn't think anyone played Multiplayer these days.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:51 pm

Darksaber wrote: My question is, Why should it be integrated into either the XWAUP/DSUCP, when it should work fine after either of these are installed?

I've checked your offsets against any of the offsets JeremyaFr found and yours don't interfere with those, so theoretically it should work, unless your offsets are wrong.

I thought there may have been a crossover but your offsets are independent of any of the offsets changed by either the XWAUP/DSUCP.
This what is causing me to scratch my head. There shouldn't be any issues at all. 1.3 XWAUP/2.3 DSUCP didn't have any issues if the patch was installed beforehand. It did crash if done after the fact, like Corrann Horn described. I'm going to do some additional tests to see what exactly is going on.
Neither of XWAUP/DSUCP installers interfere with any of the multiplayer settings, why should they? I didn't think anyone played Multiplayer these days
As for the multiplayer aspect, there are people who still get together and play using gameranger. We have a discord server that welcomes all pilots. We are not a club/clan, more of a community of gathered pilots.

Discord server: https://discord.gg/feSxXh8

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:34 pm

It may have some to do with this thread

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/vie ... 10&t=11528

I'm in the process of removing the offsets from both XWAUCP and DSUCP

Then again it might not

but for a quick fix
JeremyaFr wrote:Hello,
This crash is caused by the fix for high resolutions.
To disable it, open xwahacker-qt and uncheck "Fix crashes for high résolutions (height > 1200)", then click Save.
1. Go to https://sourceforge.net/projects/xwahacker/files/
2. download xwahacker-gui-0.30-win.zip
3. unzip
4. from your XWA Dir copy and paste the xwingalliance.exe to the xwahacker-gui-0.30-win folder (from a fresh install of either XWAUCPv1.4 or DSUCPv2.4)
5. run xwahacker-qt.exe and select xwingalliance.exe
6. uncheck "Fix crashes for high resolutions (height > 1200)"
7. click Save
8. Copy and paste the xwingalliance.exe back to your XWA Dir overwriting the older version.

9. Reapply your combat patch
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:57 am

That did it. The game did not crash after removing the "Fix crashes for high resolutions (height > 1200)" from the exe. The game is now slowing to a crawl however (with or without my patch). From what I gather from the topic you posted, a new offset for the high resolution fix was found but needs to be tested? I can run some tests on my end with that offset.

EDIT: Fixed the crawl issue, ddraw was using my desktop resolution.

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:49 am

After much testing with XWAUP 1.4 and DSUCP 2.4, I've concluded that the crash doesn't occur with these versions and it only happens with XWAUP 1.3 and DSUCP 2.3. It seems that the high resolution fix is unrelated to the issue. I will update the readme accordingly with this new info. It's all good to install the patch after XWAUP1.4/DSUCP2.4 is installed.

Corrann Horn wrote:Okay, before installing DSUCP it works fine. However, once I install DSUCP the button to the Combat Engagement button disappears.

I tried re-applying the patch after installing the DSUCP to see what would happen. The button reappears under the chat bar in the top left portion of the screen. I hit the button to open the game mode and the game CTDs.
I just want to make sure, did you copy the included "COMBAT" folder into your XWA directory?

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:21 pm

Yes, the combat file is in the directory where it should be, absolutely; I read the readme ;)

It's really strange because I did a clean install of XWA, then I installed your patch and tested it. Worked fine.

Then I installed DSUCP 2.4 and of course it wiped the previous changes as discussed above.

So I ran the patch again. The button shows up, but alas the game crashed after clicking the button. Repeatedly.

Once I can download the latest 2.4 DSUCP update I'll see about doing yet another clean install and try re-applying the patch afterwards. I'm running on a pretty severe datacap right now so I have to wait till stupid early in the morning to do much of anything online.

I actually would be a proponent for adding this patch to the UCP since it appears many of the hook improvements have been added also, and it does add another dimension to the game that I'm sure some people would use, and it would eliminate issues of version mismatches a bit barring any further self made changes to the exe. But that's just my .02c. It's easy enough to install with Jeremy's patcher either way.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Any luck geyting this to work? This sounds like a really good excuse to finnaly poke my old XWA buddies.
Image Image Image Image Image

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:22 pm

There shouldn't be any issues at this point. Is the patch not working for you?

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:34 pm

When I posted this I was still in the process of installing and readying everything. Honestly I forgot to check, but I also dont have a MP buddy yet?

I seem to remember reading no one but host can enter the hangar though, is this correct? Does that mean no one has rearm, repair capability without using reload craft?

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:53 am

ual002 wrote:When I posted this I was still in the process of installing and readying everything. Honestly I forgot to check, but I also dont have a MP buddy yet?

I seem to remember reading no one but host can enter the hangar though, is this correct? Does that mean no one has rearm, repair capability without using reload craft?
We do have a general discord dedicated to XvT/XWA multiplayer (https://discord.gg/feSxXh8), but you can message me directly and we can get something going on.

At this point, no players can enter the hanger as it will cause issues for everyone. I was working on fixing that, but most of my time is dedicated to XWVM as of right now. You will need to utilize reload craft for any reloads.

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:22 pm

Updated patch to 1.1 with 8 player campaign and combat engagement missions.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:56 pm

I think I may (don't know for sure) found two bugs.

I did finally get this working, however, when running through MP skirmish or SP skirmish, player ship is invulnerable. Period. Settings in the tour invulnerability part of the game options are turned to off, but seems to make no difference.

When in race mode, if you click the button you've added at the top left, the game will crash instead of cycling back to the combat mission interface.

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:17 pm

I haven't gotten that first bug you are reporting. Are you loading any skirmishes? Do other player slots have the same effect? Are you running any mods? XWAUP/DSUCP?

The second one I have encountered, you'll have to click on skirmish, then combat engagements if clicking that button from the race screen.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:47 pm

I just have DSUCP and Jeremy's hooks installed, plus this update of yours.

I haven't been able to test this with multiple players to see if this affects everybody, but it's definitely an affect in all missions using your interface to access. I also forgot previously to mention that you have unlimited warheads. Doesn't seem to matter which slot you pick either, player craft is invulnerable w/ unlimited payload.

If I run a normal skirmish mission, player craft is vulnerable and carries the normal warhead payload. It's literally only missions loaded through the combat interface that have the issue. I've not yet pulled the provided missions up in Allied yet to see if there's something in there causing this issue.

I did however add in DTM's Alderaan mission to play through your interface instead of editing the campaign mission.lst file (yay) and it also had the player craft set to invulnerable even though nothing was set as such in the mission file itself.

I'll keep testing more systematically and update you with my findings when I get the kids to bed tonight.

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:49 pm

When you say "combat interface", do you mean loading Combat Engagements by clicking the top left button? So flying single player campaign missions in tour mode is fine?

How were you able to load DTM's Alderaan mission without editing the campaign mission.lst file? Even using the buttons I provided still requires the mission to be in the mission.lst.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:51 am

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

I haven't tried the normal campaign as of yet, so the jury's out on that one; but normal skirmishes are fine.

As for the Alderaan mission, yes I edited the combat folder lst file, instead of the mission's folder campaign lst file.

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:56 am

Ah ok. I thought you meant you didn't edit any sort of mission.lst file.

I have tested DSUCP 2.4 with combat engagements and I haven't gotten the bug you described. This is quite strange.

Maybe try reinstalling DSUCP?

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:47 pm

I have gotten this working, and DS and I have been discussing your functionality in the DSUCP thread the last couple days, and there are a few, what I would consider "minor issues" that could stand to be fixed.

1) DS is experiencing crashes when trying to load a mission - no idea what is causing this and he'll have to expand on the issue specifics if he chooses.
2) One of the observations is that the buttons are misaligned: mostly in the family transport mode, perhaps consider rearranging the buttons so they don't overlap, and the combat missions button is closer to the others?
3) Maybe "we" need to change the animated cbm with the short button "arm frame" to the longer one to facilitate the new buttons being framed with the existing ones that would also facilitate re-spacing them so they don't overlap - what would this entail/is it possible?
4) Race and Tour of Duty mode, perhaps this is a "feature", only becomes available when you unlock the cruiser concourse.

I have a general question regarding creating campaigns using the combat missions option in the manner you've added the four-five BOP missions, and how you edited the .lst. The issue I've ran into with editing the .lst file manually (without loading it in allied) and adding in another campaign to separate (probably doing it wrong) the BOP missions and say adding in a separate campaign called TIE Fighter Operations Training, crashes the game when loading the mission's list, and I'm wondering how to avoid this since I've not had time to tinker with it much on that level.

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:30 am

I'll look into the issues you've addressed.

1. This could be an issue with the mission.lst file (in either the MISSIONS or COMBAT folder depending). Otherwise I would need more info.

2. I wanted the combat engagements button to be right next to the Tour button (or somewhere easily readable) but I was having trouble getting it into the spot I wanted it to be. I will look into this further.

3. This sounds possible.

4. I'm a bit confused by this, basically one wouldn't be able to host a campaign in multiplayer until they've unlocked the cruiser concourse?

As for the mission.lst file issue, can you post the mission.lst file itself? I'll take a look at it.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:48 am

Usually hate to bump things for status updates, but with all the messing around with opts that utilize hangars an updated version of this would be nice to utilize again. Keeping things separate from the stock campaign in regards to custom missions makes a ton of sense to me going forward, given your mod here adds a much more desirable way to do community missions; in my opinion.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:32 am

I got some testing in with him a few days ago but I'll let him update on the details. He's got some real cool features in the pipe.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:32 am

Justagai wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:51 pm
As for the multiplayer aspect, there are people who still get together and play using gameranger. We have a discord server that welcomes all pilots. We are not a club/clan, more of a community of gathered pilots.
It's nice to read there are still many brave pilots playing Multiplayer. I haven't played Multiplayer for a long time, and I would be really honored to join this community.
In the meantime I have to report this thing about Tour of Duty in Multi: I opened the missions with AlliED and I found that none of the changes listed by Admiral Darksaber in his first post in "B5M7 Mission Bug" topic had been applied.
The original Mission Fixes where modified by Ol (Oliver Monk) due to the rescaling of certain Craft, such as the SSD and Shuttle, or the addition of the Tie Advanced X1 and the Home One-Class Calamari Cruiser.

Below is a list of changes to the missions:-

1B0M4FW.tie = Container Gs' no longer overlap and destroy each other.
1B1M1G.tie = ATR and SHU no longer crash into the Calamari Cruiser.
1B1M4G.tie = Fighters no longer crash when docking.
1B4M5B.tie = SSD size.
1B4M6B.tie = SSD size, changed the Independence to the correct opt.
1B5M2G.tie = FRG Jericho no longer destroyed by freighters.
1B6M6B.tie = Changed the Independence to the correct opt.
1B6M7FB.tie = Changed the Independence to the correct opt.
1B7M1W.tie = SSD size, Changed the Independence to the correct opt.
1B7M2W.tie = SSD size, Changed the Independence to the correct opt.
1B7M3W.tie = Changed the Independence to the correct opt.

Though the original missions where edited by Ol, fixes by others may have been made since, but recalling who they where has eluded me.

The Latest Fix to the original fixed missions was kindly done by DTM, (Aug 12, 2017) adding and altering the dimensions of his starfield backdrop and fixing the illumination problem with previous versions of the missions, thanks mate.
In B0M4 the 2 container G FGs are 0.10 klicks nearer, in B1M1 the ATR Donol flight plan is not the fixed one, in B4M5 the Executor emerges from hyperspace at point-blank range to G/2 Sentinel, and CRV Razor gets inside the "bubble range" of the Executor in no time due to the new SSD Executor size.
And in B6M6, B6M7 and in Endor missions the Independence is still a MC80 "Chatnoir" Star Cruiser instead of a MC80 Home One Star Cruiser.
The new starfield backdrop is also missing.

My theory: all the changes done while building this mod had been applied to the original missions instead of the fixed ones, I mean the stock missions instead of the missions extracted after installing XWAUP 1.4/DSUCP 2.4/XWAUP 1.5/DSUCP 2.5.
Driftwood wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:48 am
Keeping things separate from the stock campaign in regards to custom missions makes a ton of sense to me going forward.
I don't understand what you mean with this: are you saying that applying the Multiplayer changes to the original missions was exactly what Justagai intended to do?
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.