More "realistic" stats

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

More "realistic" stats

Safe-Keeper
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Safe-Keeper » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:04 pm

So a while ago, I was working on a Rebel campaign, and I tried my hand and modifying the stats to make them feel more "real", more engaging and challenging gameplay-wise, and more true to the films.
  • Most importantly, I remember giving more shield and hull power to stations and capital ships, as I wanted them to be tougher kills. Taking down a Star Destroyer should require a concerted attack and feel like a real achievement.
  • While making missions, I also let cap ships fly quite a bit faster than in vanilla XWA, as you do see Star Destroyers move quite fast in the films.
  • I increased the contrast between various ships, ie. I made the B-Wing more sluggish while the TIE Interceptor got faster and more agile.
  • I fixed some inaccuracies with regards to the movies, such as TIE Fighters in XWA flying at the same speed as X-Wings (remember the trench run?).
  • Also, I reduced hull power, to make shields more important. I think I also reduced the total shield and hull power of fighters in general. In the films they never took many hits to kill.
  • I'm not sure what to do with warheads, as you don't see them used much in the films. There's a Star Wars book where they use proton torpedoes on TIE Fighters, so I guess their speed/agility could be increased, but I'm not sure if warheads should do more or less damage.
So I have been thinking, how would you modify the game stats so as to make them more accurate to the films? I know others have made mods that played with the game's stats, but in general, how accurate/inaccurate is XWA compared to the films?

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:54 pm

I had tinkered with that idea in the past, iirc I upped the speed of just about all the fighters by like at least 50% and I think on the cap ships I looked them up on Wookiepedia and tried to use speeds from there dunno about mission balance but it was mostly fun