Ebon Hawk experiment

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Ebon Hawk experiment

Prime
XWAU Member

Post by Prime » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:43 am

I have downloaded Jefe Picaro's great KOTOR gmax models and I am playing around with trying to get the Ebon Hawk into XWA.<P>I altered the existing texture so that it is 256x256 with 256 colours. In terms of mapping, all I did was replace the existing texture file with my reduced size texture file and everything seemed to look OK in gmax. Will doing this lead to problems down the line?<P>Also, I downloaded the .md3 exporter from <A HREF="http://www.davidhsmith.net/Essential_Tools.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.davidhsmith.net/Essential_Tools.htm</A> and exported the ebon hawk to an .md3 file. It gave me the following warning:<P>"There was not a one to one correspondence between texture vertices and true vertices. UV Map may contain errors."<P>What does this mean exactly? Is this telling me something that I need to fix in gmax?<P>After I have a working .md3 file, can anyone recommend the best too to convert it to a 3DS file?<P>Thanks for any help!

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:30 am

You must convert the texture to 256 colors not 256x256. Also you need the FS2004 SDK to export the Gmax model to a .x (Direct X) file. Then convert that to 3DS and then import it using the 3ds to opz converter. Then you can make it into a .opt. <P>Lol I think I need to just re-release the models already exported to .3ds. I'll figure something out. :roll:
"I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours."

Prime
XWAU Member

Post by Prime » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:55 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg:<BR><STRONG>You must convert the texture to 256 colors not 256x256.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>As I mentioned I did convert it to 256 colours as well, but in the XWA Expansion Guide tutorial I think it mentions that it is best to have textures sized to 256x256. Is this not the case or not as critical? <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg:<BR><STRONG>Also you need the FS2004 SDK to export the Gmax model to a .x (Direct X) file. Then convert that to 3DS and then import it using the 3ds to opz converter. Then you can make it into a .opt.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I was trying to do a .gmax -> .md3 -> .3ds convertion that I saw mentioned elsewhere around here. But I don't have an idea of what the best method is. I was under the impression that the DirectX format did not contain the UV texture mapping, and thus there was more work later to apply the texture (in optech?). Do I have that wrong, or is it easier that way?<P>In the package that Jefe released there are also .x files included, so I assume that only the .x -> .3ds -> .opz convertion would be required...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg:<BR><STRONG>Lol I think I need to just re-release the models already exported to .3ds. I'll figure something out. :p But I'm not trying to dump work on your plate...

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:03 am

You are correct! I forgot that I included the .x files in the pack!<P>Step by step conversion from .x to .3ds to .opz:<P> I use a program called 3D Exploration v1.5 to convert the .x file into a .3ds file. It preserves all the geometry and UV data. The only thing is that it repositions the model's XYZ coordinates when you import it. I use 3D Studio Max 8. Now I import the .3ds file into 3DSMax8 and flip, adjust, and mirror the XYZ coordinates so that the model is facing the proper direction. Now I export the model from 3DSMax8 to a .3ds file. I then open 3DS_to_Opz.exe and convert the file from 3ds. to .opz to be imported into OpTech v1.1. Then the only things left to do are related to making a fully working .opt file.<p>[ 13 January 2007: Message edited by: Greg ]

Prime
XWAU Member

Post by Prime » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:41 pm

Cool. :)<P>Is there something else (free or shareware) besides 3D Studio Max that I can use to correct the coordinates (I don't have Max)? Or could you do that for me? I'd prefer the former if possible as I will probably want to convert the others at some point..<P>Thanks again for the help, Greg. I do appreciate it...

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:42 pm

I found out that some of my models need to be split and re-textured for them to display properly in XWA. So I would need to create new sub objects so that there are not too many faces in one mesh and then divide up the texture maps and create individual textures for each new sub object.<P>This is not all that difficult to do if you have about a weeks worth of time to devote to it. So sad to say I won't be doing this in the near future. :( <P>I can make them into .3ds files with corrected XYZ coordinates though. What is your e-mail inbox attachment size limit? I need a way to send you the pack once I've finished converting the models.<p>[ 13 January 2007: Message edited by: Greg ]

Prime
XWAU Member

Post by Prime » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:24 pm

Sorry to hear that!<P>The Ebon Hawk is really the only one that I am interested in right now. Does that model need the alterations? Would it be possible for you to just fix just that one, if so? If not, no worries. Newb that I am I'm not quite sure how to split and retexture them, so if it is a fairly major undertaking perhaps I should not bit off more than I can chew...<P>Your thoughts?<P>The best email to try is probably prime@warpedproductions.echonetwork.net. That should be big enough...

Master Qui-Gon
XWAU Member

Post by Master Qui-Gon » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:54 pm

Yes, I think you should quit while you're ahead. Start learning XWA basics first.
Your focus determines your reality.