32-bit mode using xwahacker = black screen; FOV issues

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

32-bit mode using xwahacker = black screen; FOV issues

Ladyhawk
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Ladyhawk » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:41 am

First of all, I should ask if X-wing Alliance is already in 32-bit color, but I doubt it because I'm getting banding on large objects like planets. Of course, it could just be a limitation of the game because it's so old (even though I'm using the upgraded opts and I assume upgraded backgrounds).

Info: I'm using the Steam version of X-Wing Alliance and the latest version of xwahacker.

I've successfully increased the screen resolution to native 1920 X 1200, but using the 32-bit batch file causes the screen to go black. This usually happens when I target a large ship like a Star Destroyer, although it happens at other times, too. Weird.

I also tried setting the FOV to 65 to get a wider view, but it creates artifacts. :( One of the main drawbacks to these old games is being locked into a forward view. I never got good at looking around and returning to a forward facing view. There's too much going on to take the time to do this. The joystick hat is too sensitive. If someone creates another Star Wars flight sim and if I ever get the money, it would be awesome to have VR that made you feel like you were actually in the cockpit and you were able to look around at will. That would certainly fix the issue. :) :) :)

Any input would be helpful.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 2600K
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz (11-11-11-28)
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z68A-D3H-B3 (Socket 1155)
SyncMaster (1920x1200@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series (XFX Pine Group)
Realtek High Definition Audio

I just got a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, but it was doing it with my old stick, too.
I'm also using an old nostromo speedpad n52, which makes pushing all those buttons much easier.

BTW, it's fun revisiting this old favorite. Thanks to everyone who contributed to upgrading the graphics. I know it will probably never happen, but I wish you'd upgrade the graphics for all the old Star Wars flight sims. I never got a chance to play TIE Fighter when it first came out. Everyone says it was the best of the bunch, so it's kind of sad there isn't a version with upgraded graphics.
]_ /\ ]) `/ ]-[ /\ \/\/ ]<<P>I always start what I finish.

gongo
Cadet 4th Class

Post by gongo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:30 pm

-
Last edited by gongo on Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:33 pm

Ladyhawk wrote: Info: I'm using the Steam version of X-Wing Alliance and the latest version of xwahacker.
The steam version is encrypted (DRM) and thus xwahacker wouldn't work on it. So I'll assume you installed xwaupgrade already.
Ladyhawk wrote: I've successfully increased the screen resolution to native 1920 X 1200, but using the 32-bit batch file causes the screen to go black. This usually happens when I target a large ship like a Star Destroyer, although it happens at other times, too. Weird.
The 32-bit thing is almost completely pointless as the custom ddraw.dll all these re-releases use always uses 32-bit mode.
"Almost" because it changes the builtin screenshot function to create 32-bit bmp. But there are better ways to do this nowadays anyway.
Ladyhawk wrote: I never got a chance to play TIE Fighter when it first came out. Everyone says it was the best of the bunch, so it's kind of sad there isn't a version with upgraded graphics.
Won't improve the texture quality, but the Windows version can be played at whatever resolution your screen has with my fork of xwa_ddraw_d3d11.

Ladyhawk
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Ladyhawk » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:13 am

gongo wrote:
-snip-

As far as looking around, I have my hat switches programmed to inch over 4 times (once) and then recenter view when I let go that way I can get the quick "glance right/left" feeling. I've tried using my TrackIR with limited success since the mouse emulator mode loses center quickly. You can also try out the target lock view which will follow the target, keeping it in the center of your screen the whole time. It's disorienting to fly like this for long periods of time but super useful when you just can't quite get a visual on a target.
Thanks. :)

BTW, how did you program your joystick? It sounds helpful. :)

Ladyhawk
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Ladyhawk » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:17 am

Reimar wrote:
Ladyhawk wrote: Info: I'm using the Steam version of X-Wing Alliance and the latest version of xwahacker.
The steam version is encrypted (DRM) and thus xwahacker wouldn't work on it. So I'll assume you installed xwaupgrade already.
Steam noticed the changes I made and won't start the game unless I use the "Quickstart" shortcut. No big deal. Xwahacker seems to be doing something to the executable, otherwise I wouldn't have these problems when I change it. *shrug*

Atruejedi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Atruejedi » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:57 am

I'm having the same issue as Ladyhawk. Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, NVIDIA 570, 1920x1080 resolution... my hangar is completely black with 2 dots and when I exit the hangar it's fine until I target a ship. Then, black with 2 dots again :/

But apparently 32 bit rendering doesn't do anything anyway? Who cares, then :)

Ladyhawk
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Ladyhawk » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:04 pm

Atruejedi wrote:I'm having the same issue as Ladyhawk. Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, NVIDIA 570, 1920x1080 resolution... my hangar is completely black with 2 dots and when I exit the hangar it's fine until I target a ship. Then, black with 2 dots again :/

Yeah, it looks fine the way it is. :)

Cpt. Spaulding
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Cpt. Spaulding » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Ladyhawk wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:04 pm
Atruejedi wrote:I'm having the same issue as Ladyhawk. Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, NVIDIA 570, 1920x1080 resolution... my hangar is completely black with 2 dots and when I exit the hangar it's fine until I target a ship. Then, black with 2 dots again :/

Yeah, it looks fine the way it is. :)
This is where i would like to ask again as in the reshading thread: Is it needed to have 32 bit rendering "activated" with XWA hacker to have Reshade configurations run properly or to run ReShade in general?
Or can I leave the box 32 bit rendering unchecked in the hacker?
(I have also the black screen with only two green dots issue...)

EDIT: Got it to work without 32 bit enabled in the XWA hacker. :)