WIP: Model conversions for Space Engineers

Where the bad guys get their gear! Check here for updates on the Blue Phantom Project or awesome new star destroyer designs!

WIP: Model conversions for Space Engineers

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:49 pm

OK so that scale 1:1 Seraphim esceeding the game's boundaries somewhat put a halt into my efforts in that direction. Still I'm convinced fo the game's potential and continue to try and realize various other of my TBP ships, creating scaled down variants where reasonable.

As of now the optimal measure for capital ships in SE is somewhere between 200 - 500 meters, so that's where I'm moving right now. Here are a few screenshots of some of my ships:

Scale 0:3 Inferno II-class Cruiser:

This scaled version is about 350m long and still a hell of a ship to fly and explore.
inferno2_1.jpg
I had to add some additional, "covered" thrusters located inside the wings in order to generate sufficient thrust to propell the ship forward.
inferno2_2.jpg
inferno2_3.jpg
The Command bridge came along quite nicely. Especially with the game recently introducing the new corner lights it adds a really nice atmospheric touch to it!
inferno2_4.jpg
Next we have a very early stage Scale 0:1 SBCR Warrior
warrior.jpg
I'll keep updating as I go. Eventually I'll be able to publish those things in the Workshop for players to enjoy :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:32 pm

Looking good! :D
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:11 pm

Alright now here's a little cutout-teaser of the current WIP.
Looking at it this way I realize there are a few things I should revisit.

Didn't shrink this img down for the sake of detail.
20170109170328_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:20 pm

You making these out of Lego now??
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:23 pm

I've gotten lazy. Making high detail models AND proper textures takes too long these days. I can whip up something like this one in a mere week.

Plus I always loved LEGO.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:50 pm

Smal update on the Inferno II. The interior's turned out INSANE! aaaand somewhat unhealthy for my framerate ...
inferno2.jpg
Apart from that I got a few more WIPs in the pipeline. Most of which are recreations of my favorite TBPP models. I've decided to rescale most of the larger ships down to a sensible size which the game engine could handle, also reclassifying some of them. As of now I'm categorizing 3 classes of standard capital ships, each with a focus on either defensive or offensive operations:
Light: Corvette or Gunship, 100-150m
Medium: Frigate or Destroyer, 150-250m
Heavy: Cruiser or Carrier, 250-400m
Apart from those there's the dreadnough, everything beyond 400m, which doesn't focus on defensive or offensive but simply overkill.

Of course, those measurements won't go beyond Space Engineers, since the original ships, are in most cases alot bigger.

Soo, alas, right now we have ....

The CSX-600, this one I actually scaled up by aabout 50'%, more of an experiment than a permanent choice. tho I like how it turned out.
csx600.jpg
Hm, I don't even know what I want this to be. Just started building something without any clue where I'd go with it. Called it Bailisk at some point, though I could imagine it being something of a prototype for what would later become the spearhead class frigate (which I'm gonna rename "firelance mobile cannon", was that's what it is, rather than a frigate)
basilisk.jpg
The, Centurion Mk2 Gunship, also about twice the size of the original deisgn. I named it Mk2, as it actually does have some alterations from the original design, which featured downward wings. For this one I made the wings spread even, also added a few atmospheric thrusters, which would allow the ship to land on planets with higher gravity. This one is likely going to be my next steam workshop release
centurionmk2.jpg
These next ones are my newest creations and I'm really happy how they're turning out. While their originals were "mere" cruisers, I decided to label them dreadnoughts, so I'd be able to pack some nice detail into them. BTW those red grids I use to line their dimensions and pinpoint speciffic marks of their shape.

The Praetorian. For this one I decided to further exploid its carrier capabilities, opening up the large hangar to the rear so fighters could actually launch in both directiosn - or land whil others are launching. Still an early WIP, the lateral engine nozzels are still missing, as you can tell from those red placeholder grids.
praetorian.jpg
Aaaand finally the Phoenix Cruiser, started that one today. Here, too I'm going to increase the ship's emphasis on carrier functions by expanding the hangar throughout the entire midsection rather than only one of those "ribs" as it was in the original (which was 3x the size)
phoenix.jpg
Alright, that's it for now. Got a few more things in the pipeline but those still need some work before being worthy of showcasing.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:25 am

Update on the Praetorian. I did some improvising on the bridge. While the XWA model actually had no visible bridge tower, I wanted to have one in this version, taking inspiration from the angled bridge tower I made for the Dominance and Sovereign Battlecruisers.
praetorian1.jpg
Also for this I did some fiddling around with moving parts. The main Command platform inside the bridge is attached to a piston, so if required, it could be retracted into the inside of the ship, locking off the bridge tower with additional blastdoors.
praetorian2.jpg
I'm really happy with the way the hangar's turning out. It now has full blast shields to the front and rear plus additional blast doors in the ceiling that would protect the ship's interior from depressurization while the gates are open, and otherwise allow cargo to be lifted into the ship's bowels. Only draw is that those elevators on the floor won't go high enough to actually lift things onto the next upper level, so those are just for the looks for now.
praetorian3.jpg
praetorian4.jpg
praetorian5.jpg

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:49 am

Holy Cow! :shock:
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:18 pm

Time for a teaser!
20170312205056_1.jpg
I wonder if anyone rmembers this thing :D

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:56 pm

Edit: Crap screwed up the post and accidentally removed all the screenshots.
Gonna post again with the next proper update....