Multiple Installations

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Multiple Installations

XDragon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by XDragon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:19 pm

I was wondering if there's a way to have multiple mods installed at the same time?

I'm currently working on an Imperial campaign and have a bunch of custom ships from a mix of the DSUCP and stand alones. Of course when theres a new version of the UCP that adds fixes I need to reinstall the ships, find them in Allied and replace them i MXVTED.

I would love to play DTM's new Unicorn update but I dont want to lose some of those ships and I believe he has said he has 5 different versions installed. I'm a little confused as to how to get this working. From what he says, its a matter of where the Main directory is located. Now I can create folders in the GOG directory and copy the contents over and over, that's not a problem. When I tried that, it didn't matter. (I tested by deleting a pilot in one directory and launching that....it was still there from the original directory)

I've attached what DTM has suggested I do, but I'm a little confused and was wondering if anyone can give me idiot's guide here.

Oh and on that note, how the heck do you change where MXVTED pulls its information from?

Yes, of corse you may have multiple versions of xwa installed. Actually I have 5 different active versions of XWA.
It's only a matter of location of the main directory. Example: I have XWA by GOG and the main directory is here:

D:/GOG/XwingAlliance

In the GOG folder I've created multiple directory for my different versions of XWA:

D:/GOG/DSUCP/XwingAlliance
D:/GOG/REBCP/XwingAlliance
D:/GOG/XWAUP/XwingAlliance
D:/GOG/TEST/XwingAlliance
D:/GOG/ORIGINAL/XwingAlliance
If you want to play one of these versions, simply move the XWA main directory outside the sub-directory:

D:/GOG/XwingAlliance

You have to install the different modes following this steps:
1. Install XWA and make a copy of the main directory in your ORIGINAL folder
2. Install XWAUP and make a copy in you XWAUP folder
3. Uninstall the XWAUP from your actual main directory
4. Install the DSUCP and make a copy in your DSUCP folder
5. Install the REBCP and move the main directory in your REBCP folder.
Founder of Z3R0 (Zero Command)
https://xdragon2688.wixsite.com/z3ro/

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:50 pm

I set mine up slightly differently from DTM:

G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance DSUCP2.4
G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance DSUCP2.4 XWC
G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance DSUCP2.5
G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance DSUCP2.5 XWC

The main thing to note is that in order to play the version in a non-default directory, you have to launch XWingAlliance.exe directly. Alliance.exe (which is what's linked in your start menu) only works properly in the default directory. So to use Alliance.exe to, say, switch pilots, I have to rename the directory back to the default (and I expect to have to do the same when I get around to installing REBCP). For convenience to play the game, I create a shortcut to XWingAlliance.exe, rename it appropriately, then drag-and-drop ("pin") it to the taskbar.

XDragon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by XDragon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:55 pm

So basically, install game... copy the entire folder and rename it rinse and repeat with various add ons and make shortcuts of the XWingAlline.exe

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:32 pm

XDragon wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:19 pm
Oh and on that note, how the heck do you change where MXVTED pulls its information from?
You can change the setting from "File" > "Select EXE File...".
MXvTED save its setting in "mxvted.ini".

XDragon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by XDragon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:00 am

JeremyaFr wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:32 pm
keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:50 pm
So Something is wrong here, I can't change pilots on ALL of the versions i've installed... and i can't use a pilot editor to change the missions or anything. How did you all get around this?

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:37 am

For changing pilots with Alliance.exe, rename the directory back to the default name. Probably the same for the pilot editor, if it's using the Windows registry to find the pilot files (which is kind of an unnecessarily complicated way for a pilot editor to work, but I digress).

XDragon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by XDragon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:08 am

So, change the directory folder to back to the default name?

Ie:Gog/star wars xwa imp back to gog/star wars xwa

I suppose I should change the default directory to something else?

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:39 am

Yes, if you've kept one installation in the default path, you should rename/move it before returning your alternate installation to the default path. (This is why I don't keep an installation in the default path.)

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:32 am

I have my setup as follows, same or similar to keiranhalcyon.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance STEAM.BAK (original install)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance (the one I'm currently using to test my ships (using DSUCP/REBCP as a base)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance - DSUCP v2.5
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance - REBCP v1

What I do is create a shortcut to the XwingAlliance.exe in each folder and launch that version directly from the shortcut; I don't generally change pilot names so I typically bypass the launcher and use the quicklaunch option. That way I don't have to rename or relocate any files whatsoever if I want to utilize a different version of the game. Set up the quicklaunch shortcut for each one, and you're good to go.

Of course the downside is that I have four full copies of the game on my harddrive.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:03 pm

You can manually change the pilot name:
Open config.cfg and modify the lastpilot line (it's the first line).