X-Wing Alliance doesn't start

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

X-Wing Alliance doesn't start

Mattew912
Recruit

Post by Mattew912 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi everyone, I'm in need of some help.
Alright so, I downloaded both XWAUCP and Darksaber's DSUCP (of course not at the same time, but I tried first with one and then with the other) and I couldn't get XWA to start. When I open the game (I have the Steam version) from either Steam or the desktop icon, the launcher will appear, but after pressing "Play X-Wing Alliance", the launcher will close as usual, but the game itself won't start.

How do I resolve this?

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Wed May 16, 2018 12:04 am

Have you tried opening Xwingalliance.exe from the XWA folder?

darkwinx
Recruit

Post by darkwinx » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:01 am

Hi There,

I seem to be getting a similar issue with the GOG version (Win10 x64). Without the XWAU 1.5 patch the game runs. Once its installed it crashes after the launcher opens. I have also tried running directly from the Exe.

Comes up with this event when loading (if it helps)

Faulting application name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Faulting module name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0019cd60
Faulting process id: 0x1fc4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3ffdd55f23625

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:41 pm

Hello,
It seems to be the same problem as described here: viewtopic.php?t=11826.
For short, I don't know why the game crashes.

darkwinx
Recruit

Post by darkwinx » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:02 am

Hmm thanks for that - didn't find that thread initially.

I attempted the suggestions in the thread and seems like the Dinput.dll is causing the problem. Renamed and it gets me by.

Edit: Read through the readme and noted that Dinput is related to the hanger hooks and also realised you made it! Attempted to repair the VC++ x86 redis package with no luck. Happy to help troubleshoot more if you think its worth looking at (doesn't seem to affect many people).

Cheers!

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Hello,

I'm able to reproduce the crash and I fixed it.

The crash at offset 0x0019cd60 seems to be related to the Windows' Data Execution Prevention (DEP). I have enabled DEP for all programs and XWA doesn't start. Then I have exclude XWINGALLIANCE.EXE and the game starts.

If DEP is enabled, you can try to disable it for XWA exe and see if the game starts.

DEP settings are here:
Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced System Settings > Performance > DEP

darkwinx
Recruit

Post by darkwinx » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:03 am

Hi Jeremy,

This was the fix however Windows 10 1803 does not follow these DEP settings (at least for me). You have to access Windows Defender Security Centre, App and Browser Control and then at the bottom Exploit Protection Settings.
In here you can disable DEP (either on or off not for specific apps - which is quite dangerous!). This is the setting that my Windows build looks at. As soon as I made this change and rebooted it worked. I'm about to test whether it just ignores the application based DEP settings by removing all of my apps from the list.
Edit: Looks like the settings are independent of each other - may be a bug with MS transitioning old UI controls into the new interface. https://imgur.com/BaVtA1m

Thanks for your help. Is the DEP issue something that can be fixed, or does the hooks require some fancy hacks that Windows will never like?

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:40 am

I have nothing particularly helpful to add to this conversation, however, I run WIN10 and all the hooks (as they are necessary for most of my releases and add more function to the game as a baseline) and have zero issue with any errors you are experiencing, and never have. XWA and mods have all functioned natively, though I'm unsure if that may have something to do with having upgraded from 7 directly to 10. And I've never, as far as I can recall, messed around with DEP settings myself.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:48 am

darkwinx wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:03 am
Thanks for your help. Is the DEP issue something that can be fixed, or does the hooks require some fancy hacks that Windows will never like?
I will fix my dll.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:22 pm

Fixed.

Please redownload xwa_hook_main.zip

Momo03
Recruit

Post by Momo03 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:18 pm

I just digged out XWA again (bought the original when it was released and got a GoG-Version from a sale recently).
The GoG-Version runs fine, and I googled for some graphical improvement and came across the XXAUpgrade - happy!

BUT I have the same problem: After installing XWAU the game won't start.
I downloaded the latest xwa_hook_main.zip and replaced the dinput.dll (looked identical, though), but game won't start.

I added an exclusion to the DEP and to my Sophos-Security-Suite. Still nothing.

I turned off DEP in Defender, too. No effect.

Reliablity-Monitor says:
Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: XwingAlliance.exe, Version: 2.0.0.2, Zeitstempel: 0x3765a9b7
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: XwingAlliance.exe, Version: 2.0.0.2, Zeitstempel: 0x3765a9b7
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x001a9001
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x19c0
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d4e1830e33368c
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: D:\Games\GoG\Star Wars - X-Wing Alliance\XwingAlliance.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: D:\Games\GoG\Star Wars - X-Wing Alliance\XwingAlliance.exe
Berichtskennung: f8bc9d62-5601-4108-a7c2-29febf4fdba2
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

JetBlack
Cadet 4th Class

Post by JetBlack » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:54 pm

Just reinstalled XWA & XWAUCP on a completely new system to play the new reimagined TFTC... and got the same error as before and as others have had in this thread... didn't have room to install Win7 on this system so checked to see if any new fixes had been found (after cursing my luck and computer engineers in general)... while disabling DEP for XwingAlliance.exe alone didn't help, after checking the settings darkwinx mentioned I saw an entry for another game (Resident Evil 3 Remake) that had been put in by that game's installer and tried them with XWA, and it worked!

Add "XwingAlliance.exe" to the exceptions for DEP in the windows system control panel
-AND-
Add "XwingAlliance.exe" to the "Program Settings" list in the "Windows Security" app with the following options edited:
"Control Flow Guard (CFG)" - Override - OFF
"Data Execution Prevention (DEP)" - Override - OFF
"Validate Exception Chains (SEHOP)" - Override - OFF
"Validate Heap Integrity" - Override - OFF

(Jeeze Microsoft... can ya make this any more complicated?) I have no idea if -all- of these are actually needed, but I'm too eager to play TFTC to fiddle with them all to find out... anyway hope this helps anyone else with this problem. :)