Which axis does XWA use for rudder (roll)?

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Which axis does XWA use for rudder (roll)?

malibu43
Recruit

Post by malibu43 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:52 pm

Hello,

I have just reinstalled XWA (from GOG.com) and have it nicely upgraded thanks to all the great work from the community and this site. I'd like to try to get my rudder pedals working to control roll in-game.

I have a CH Fighterstick, CH Throttle, and CH Rudder pedals, all USB. They are plugged into a powered USB hub and connect to my computer via one USB port. Right now, XWA doesn't seem to recognize the rudder pedals at all. However, the CH Control Manager software can combine all three devices and have the game see them as one device. I think by doing this, I may be able to get the game to see inputs from both the stick and rudders.

Right now, X and Y axis from the stick control pitch and yaw, and the throttle wheel on the stick (which I think is considered Z-axis) is controlling the throttle. For the rudder input, is XWA looking for a specific axis (ie - X, Y, Z, R, etc...)?

Or, if anyone has already done this successfully, please let me know how you set up the mapping to get this to work!

Thanks!

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:20 pm

I think it's R
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

malibu43
Recruit

Post by malibu43 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:00 pm

Rookie_One1 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:20 pm
I think it's R
That was it! I got it to work! Using the rudder pedals for roll was pretty intuitive, even though it's opposite what I'm used to. Much better than holding a button and losing yaw control during the roll.

I was also able to switch the axis outputs of the stick and rudder, so that the stick controlled roll and rudders controlled yaw. It was fun, but doesn't really jive with the way gameplay is set up (AI doesn't rely on roll to turn and can easily out-fly you), and still some parts of it don't work the way you're used to. Without any aerodynamics modeled or lift vectors at play (there is no air in space after all) rolling doesn't result in any change in heading on it's own and it feels very unnatural.

If I get a chance later I'll reply with what I did to get the separate rudder pedals working, so if someone comes across this later, it's laid out.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:47 am

Can you link the hardware you are using and the software profile software?

A huge pet peeve of mine is that roll and yaw are reversed in XWA and I have yet to figure out a way to reprogram my Logitech to reverse the function. (Maybe I'm just dumb and haven't found the right way yet.)

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:36 am

Do you have Logitech Profiler installed? Remapping the axes can be done easily in the axis properties.

malibu43
Recruit

Post by malibu43 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:29 pm

I don't have a link handy, but I'm using a CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Pedals, and CH Pro Throttle. I'm remapping axis in the CH Control Manager software, so that probably won't help anyone with a Logitech stick. Per the above post, you probably need to try whatever mapping software logitech provides.