problems after upgrade on Win7 64bit

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

problems after upgrade on Win7 64bit

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:44 am

Greetings
yesterday I installed successfully the original XWA on a machine with Win7 64bit of a friend of mine: it worked (within normal problems of fonts, and all the rest). Then I mounted DSUCP and XWAUP and both give me an error code 0xe0434352 and stopped before launching. It is a common issue? some hint how to fix it?

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:00 pm

ok, I have found evidences that is not a upgrade problem (nor from DSUCP nor from XWAUP). It's a problem of... Windows! (surprised eh?)... I would try to work it out...

guru_redeye
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by guru_redeye » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:06 pm

I run XWAUCP v1.6 on Win 7 x64 too and it keeps triggering the following unhandled exception:

XWA Crash 2.jpg

The main difference is that it does this in-game.

I've tested XWAUCP v1.6 only in skirmish mode yet and the crash occurs each time after ~10..20 minutes of playing in any skirmish setup I play. There's a significant change I noticed about game behaviour comparing it to earlier XWA versions though, all starfighters and starships now throw out ejected pilots and escape pods when being destroyed producing a lot of such extra objects. This wasn't a usual game behaviour in skirmish mode so far.

Running environment
I've installed XWAUCP v1.6 with all settings on default, haven't altered anything. I run XWA in a standard resolution: 1152x864 in windowed mode which exactly matches with my desktop resolution. Note to this: I can't actually get XWA out of windowed mode no matter what resolution I try to set up in video options it keeps remaining on desktop resolution only the HUD scaling changes. Removing Hook_Windowed.dll did nothing either, XWA still runs in windowed mode without it. I have installed latest video drivers, running XWA on a humble GTX 750.

Any suggestions ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:13 pm

I and others dont have this problem, and you've not provided enough details regarding your system to begin to guess what your problem is.

I'm running on windows 10 and dont experience crashes unless I install an opt wrong.

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:36 pm

My problem was a conflict from the anrivirus which take cpu and ram from xwa when they are most needed. I resolved reducing the game to 640x480 and setting the antivirus to not do any scan when I am in play.

guru_redeye
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by guru_redeye » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:04 am

Driftwood wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:13 pm
I and others dont have this problem, and you've not provided enough details regarding your system to begin to guess what your problem is.

I'm running on windows 10 and dont experience crashes unless I install an opt wrong.
A damn "valuable", "helpful" and "informative" post. That's what I've been waiting for, eternal thanx :irre: :gott:

guru_redeye
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by guru_redeye » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:28 am

I'd remind everyone of the title of this thread which is "problems after upgrade on Win7 64bit". Please don't spam or flame here if you can't add anything useful to this topic. Thanx.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:54 am

What's your skirmish setup?

guru_redeye
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by guru_redeye » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:09 am

well although as I said I experience the crash in more of my skirmish setups (not only in 1), I am attaching the recent one I just could not complete due to the crash. It's a scenario intended to be played as cooperative or in single player on the rebel side (Team 1). Starfighter slots (FGs) allowed for players: Yellow, Blue, Green, Gold (FGs 5..8 ). I kept flying FG Green (x-wings) when the crash occured. The mission has 2 goals: 1.) prevent imperials from inspecting MTRNS Reb.Ship and 2.) destroy all imperial FGs. Inspection task is assigned to FG A/S I.Recon on imperial side. If they succeed, rebs lose the mission. The crash usually occurs when I have already destroyed all imperial starfighters and A/S's and only the imperial starships (ESC I.Carrier and VSDII I.Cmdshp) are remaining to be destroyed. Sometimes it occurs after destroying ESC I.Carrier .

Additionally I always do my skirmishes in multiplayer mode even when I'm doing them offline. That is, starting from Concourse, I use Flight Simulator > Multiplayer > Host Game (TCP/IP) > Quick Skirmish menu. About those skirmish options which are not set up by loading the skirmish file: Collisions are always ON of course, Finish Time Limit: None, the rest are unrelevant I think.

Attachment (extract it in XWingAlliance\Skirmish):
Skirmish.7z
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Excuse you? A better response other than your condescending shitpost would be "could you explain what additional information you are looking for?" You want help around here, you drop the attitude.

You dont come to these forums and act like you run the roost or tell anybody on this forum how to behave. Nobody here has a tendency to flame on these forums, or spam post in any real sense, those who do have a history of being banned due to either being toxic, or bots.

When I'm at work, on mobile, trying to help in what little free time I have I make short posts that's all I have time for to be able to communicate, fyi.

My post indicates that this is not a widespread issue and that more system specs would be helpful to addressing your issue in a very general sense, however since it seems you need more prompting: what are all of your hardware specs, are your drivers up to date, what antivirus so you use, is your system running the game on one or multiple cores, ect.

Why would this be helpful? Hmm, interestingly enough captain guinae stated that his issue was partially related to antivirus, and gave a suggestion on how to possibly resolve it. If we knew more details on your system and you had the same AV, theoretically that information could help us/you/others find a fix.

Keiran also may be onto something with tracking down an opt related crash that may have never been caught, so more information on what ships you are using could help too..

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:33 pm

by the way the truly difference between the machines where I installed upgrade has ever been the update state of OS. That is the basical reason for some antivirus to create problems (both Norton and Nod32 in my experiences). On a clean updated installation of Win7, Win10, and so on, all works smoothly.

There may be some issues for the graphic card drivers. Those are critical, and are called in game heavyly, so it is important to know what you have, and how much is updated at level of software and hardware. One should remember that we are speaking of a game with 20 years on is back... The way it uses memory, cpu, drivers, and so on, are not the same of the games we have today, which limit themselves to a % slot of total power of the machine. That can create conflicts, if the drivers are not corrected to create a boundary to software requested, and protected area of memory in which other programs do not make calls. Those are the true reasons for any crash you could encounter (the third and minor, is when XWA call for an offset in the memory which is illegal, or return an illegal value - and is caused by the way the game uses his own data).

final: remember to set cpu affinity for the game, on multicore machines. XWA should run on a single CPU.
Last edited by capitanguinea on Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:57 pm

Image Image Image
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

guru_redeye
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by guru_redeye » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:11 pm

I did mention that my video drivers are up-to-date in my first post (still got warned about this in 2 more posts):
guru_redeye wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:06 pm
... I have installed latest video drivers, running XWA on a humble GTX 750. ...
But here are some more details of my video:

Chipset: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 with 1 GB DDR5 memory
Driver Version: 419.67 / 25.21.14.1967 (whichever is more descriptive)
Driver Date: march 17 2019 - updated and tested XWA with it just before joining this forum thread

I run XWA on an Intel i5-3570 CPU which is a 4-core + 1 graphics core 3rd generation Intel Ivy-bridge CPU. I run XWA on the second (single) core of it which is the default setting in DDraw.cfg (of DDraw.dll):

ProcessAffinityCore = 2 (default) that means core 1 which is the 2nd core of the CPU, checked in taskmanager before joining this thread .

I have 8 GB (DDR3) system RAM .

As for my av, it is a pretty old kaspersky which is detailedly configured to play games and it has never gotten in conflict with XWAUCP or any other game.

Some more about me: I've been actively following and playing x-wing series games from the '90-s when the first DOS x-wing game came out. I play XWA from the first version ever came out.

XWAUCP has never crashed on my comp before version 1.6 .

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:32 pm

Ok the next question and you have already been asked this before would be which ship are you playing with in skirmish? And have you experienced this crash when playing normal missions? It maybe that you have selected a custom or newly updated craft which wasn't in the previous XWAUCPv1.5

A list of your skirmish craft might be a start in tracking down a problem

But please answer my other questions first

Thank you :D
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

guru_redeye
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by guru_redeye » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:58 pm

#1:
and as I did describe it detailedly:
guru_redeye wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:09 am
... I kept flying FG Green (x-wings) when the crash occured. ...
in the skirmish I have attached.

#2:
I did not fly normal missions in XWAUCP v1.6 yet, only skirmishes.

#3:
As I wrote it in my starting post:
guru_redeye wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:06 pm
... I've installed XWAUCP v1.6 with all settings on default, ...
I only use default settings and crafts, I don't use anything custom, simply upgraded to v1.6 leaving everything on default.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:27 pm

Oh I didn't realize I had to read every single word of your posts, my apologies.

If you don't change your attitude, this topic will be closed!
I'm not prepared to start messing about downloading and installing crap just to find out what your problem is, I asked politely for you to write a list of craft in this skirmish of your, if you can't provide such a list then I'm not prepared to help!

If your next post doesn't contain a list of craft, I'm not going to waste more time on this topic and it WILL be closed!
- John Lydgate

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:07 pm

Darksaber wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:27 pm
Oh I didn't realize I had to read every single word of your posts, my apologies.

If you don't change your attitude, this topic will be closed!
I'm not prepared to start messing about downloading and installing crap just to find out what your problem is, I asked politely for you to write a list of craft in this skirmish of your, if you can't provide such a list then I'm not prepared to help!

If your next post doesn't contain a list of craft, I'm not going to waste more time on this topic and it WILL be closed!
:roll: in that case, may I open a new thread if needed on this topic?

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:00 am

I was able to reproduce this (unhandled exception at 0x004D332D) by using your saved skirmish setup (note: playing in single player mode), but only inconsistently (once, out of four playthroughs - although I quit at about 15 minutes on two of them; the one crash occurred at 8:28 as I was flying by the VSD's shield generators). For the record, the involved ships are: FRG, MTRANS, Y-W, B-W, X-W, A-W; vs. SPC, A/S, GUN, T/B, T/F, T/I, ESC, VSDII.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:26 am

Thanks keiranhalcyon7, that was helpful :)

Hmm the only big update in that list of craft was the Frigate/Nebulon-B

Any idea which Frigate/Nebulon-B you have installed?

Open MXvTED goto slot 128 and the Opt tab, it'll say in the Opt File window :)

A few further tests might be needed, if you start replacing craft or substituting them for other craft replace the VSD2 with VSD1 as it seemed to crash when you where flying near the VSD2

If you still experience the crash switch those back and replace the FRG with a MOD FRG

- John Lydgate

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:43 am

If you remember I had some problem with the carrier nebulon-b and had to reinstall the default one. Maybe is the same case?

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:07 pm

Rules are only for ordinary users. Sorry about the management, but take heart in the fact that you can watch them explode later at someone else for not reading every word of what they themselves wrote, in a classic shower of hypocrisy. ;)

As to your issue, you can try Microsoft's .NET Framework Repair Tool, since this kind of error can be caused by borked components.

microsoft.com
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:13 pm

I installed the default frigate, which is what redeye claimed also. MXvTED says it's Frigate2Standard.opt.

I want to see if I can find a way to reproduce the crash more consistently before diving into craft swaps.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:21 pm

Ok Thanks keiranhalcyon7 :D

----------------------------

Yes, so what if I'm a hypocrite, big whoopidoo!
- John Lydgate

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:16 am

I've been unable to reproduce this beyond that one crash. However, Redeye is correct that ejected pilots/escape pods in quick skirmish mode are new in 1.6, and I did see some odd behavior related to them (rebel pilots/pods being added on the imperial team). How were these added to skirmish mode? I would like to have Redeye disable them and see if it fixes his issue.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:05 am