[HELP] Problem with Blue_Max’s SteamVR mod

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[HELP] Problem with Blue_Max’s SteamVR mod

VanillaEssence
Cadet 4th Class

Post by VanillaEssence » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:24 pm

Hello first I would like to say what an achievement this is. When I tried installing a few months ago it was a bit tedious and the steamvr distortion problem made playing in the vice sadly impossible. I tried a little tonight to get it to work and the install was so easy and the game looks really fantastic with no distortion but somethings wrong.

The cockpit either follows my head or move in the opposite direction it should move in. Also I cannot reset my view and there is a floating HUD that is stuck in place. The hangar appears to function normally. I am 99% sure I’ve just made some dumb error here which is causing it since everything else is working fine.
Here’s what I did:
Fresh install Xwa
Install XWAUCP 1.6 didn’t change any config
Install latest blue_max effects installer
Didn’t change and options except set SteamVR in the installer.

Tried launching from alliance.exe, xwingalliance.exe, and from steam but none performed correctly. I’m pretty sure I must have not set something I should have which is why I’m getting a 50% correct experience. Sorry I am operating on minimal sleep so it’s highly likely I’ve just made a dumb error. If anyone could help me resolve this that would be fantastic. I’m very excited to play. Thank you

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:31 pm

Sorry I don't use VR so hard to help you. Blue Max will be able to do so whenever he is next free to come online.
If no one else can in the meantime that is.

Have a look in the VR forum section. There are many posts and tips that may assist you.
https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=36
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:23 pm

VanillaEssence wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:24 pm
The cockpit either follows my head or move in the opposite direction it should move in. Also I cannot reset my view and there is a floating HUD that is stuck in place. The hangar appears to function normally.
Sounds like tracking isn't actually working. Check that you've got a file called "Hook_CockpitLook.dll" in your XWA directory and that "tracker_type = SteamVR" in your CockpitLook.cfg file.

VanillaEssence
Cadet 4th Class

Post by VanillaEssence » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:59 am

blue_max wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:23 pm
VanillaEssence wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:24 pm
The cockpit either follows my head or move in the opposite direction it should move in. Also I cannot reset my view and there is a floating HUD that is stuck in place. The hangar appears to function normally.
Sounds like tracking isn't actually working. Check that you've got a file called "Hook_CockpitLook.dll" in your XWA directory and that "tracker_type = SteamVR" in your CockpitLook.cfg file.
Yes I have both of those. When the cockpit wasn't just stuck to my head it was tracking but just in a perfectly opposite direction. ie I lift my head up and the ingame "camera" moved down in the exact opposite direction. I will try another clean install and reinstall SteamVR to see if that changes anything.

Edit: This appears to have worked. I will hopefully be able to test more soon. Really amazing work you guys have done

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:48 am

Well, I'm glad it worked for you; but the next thing I was going to suggest was that you opened CockpitLook.cfg and flipped the signs on "yaw_multiplier" & "pitch_multiplier" for rotational tracking or "positional_x/y/z_multiplier" for the positional tracking. You shouldn't need to do that; but now you know just in case :)

VanillaEssence
Cadet 4th Class

Post by VanillaEssence » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:27 pm

Okay I’ve got the game running and it really looks fantastic considering it’s 20 years old and never supposed to have been seen in VR. The biggest problem I’m having is performance. 45fps locked would be perfectly acceptable to me but currently I’m getting FPS so low that I can see the end of where the game has rendered when I turn my head. I think it’s possible that the game is using my integrated graphics rather than the discrete gpu (laptop 7700/1070, htc vive no super-sampling). I can’t disable the integrated gpu since the laptop screen is connected to that, but I am waiting for a cable to I can connect both the vive and an external monitor the the gpu so I don’t need to rely on the laptop screen. Is it possible that this is the case? I’ve been skim reading elsewhere on the forum that others have had performance issues. I know that my pc is not exactly top of the line but I think it *should* be able to handle XWA despite its limitations.

Also I’ve seen some posts with the hud all contained within the cockpit rather than the overlay. Is this something that’s available now and I need to do something to activate it? It’s also possible that I’m just confused. I’d really like to disable the hud overlay. I’m busy with kids so I haven’t been able to mine these forums for the answers to these questions, so I hope they are not too bothersome.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:15 pm

VanillaEssence wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:27 pm
The biggest problem I’m having is performance.
Take a look at this thread, there are several performance-related things you can try:

https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 8d#p173216
I think it’s possible that the game is using my integrated graphics rather than the discrete gpu (laptop 7700/1070, htc vive no super-sampling).
Your laptop is better than mine (i7/1060), and I can get 30-45fps consistently, which is playable (see the SteamVR videos I've posted). I think you need to go to the nVidia Control Panel, add XWA manually and configure it to use your GPU instead of your integrated graphics. You should not need any cables for this (if I understood your problem correctly).
Also I’ve seen some posts with the hud all contained within the cockpit rather than the overlay. Is this something that’s available now and I need to do something to activate it?
I think you're talking about the Dynamic Cockpit. You need to install the Rebel Dynamic Cockpits and TIE FIghter Dynamic Cockpits from the Downloads section and select "I don't need the HUD anymore" when running the installer. Be aware that only some cockpits are DC-enabled, so it won't work on, say, the Corellian Transports at the moment.

Feel free to ask questions!

gnadzon
Recruit

Post by gnadzon » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:27 pm

Dear All,

First of all, I would like thank to everyone the fantastic result we got now!
I came back after a few years to  try the latest updates and I am amazed on the vids on the youtube and on other sites.

Now I tried to install the XWAU features in the given order as Ace wrote on the main page on 30th of August 2020:

(I started with a fresh XWA install from GOG )

1 - XWAU Craft Pack v1.6
2 - XWAU Craft Pack v1.6: Patch v1.0
3 - Individual NEW Ship Installers.
Please only install the ones marked NEW. That is all you will need.
4 - Crew Quarters Upgrade
5 - Super Backdrops Patch
6 - Effects by Blue Max
7 - Rebel Dynamic Cockpits
8 - Tie Fighter Dynamic Cockpits
9 - Known issues and fixes.
Check the forum post for any bug fixes or known issues
10 - XWA Hooks Setup
If you wish you can then check for any recent updated Hook files.

However, I am stucked at point 6 - Effects by Blue Max.  When I install the current version from the download section ( EffectsByBlueMax_v1.1.4.exe ) the game won't start, I receive a black screen then a popup:
DeviceResources:Initialize
The parameter is incorrect

and thenafter:

Directdraw init FAILED at 0

Do You have any idea what went wrong?

I can make the game to run again, if I am copying the files back from the Backup folder.

And here are a few (maybe dumb)  question:
- I saw some pic from different TIE fighter cockpit... but, how can I fly with a TIE ?! I played through the game, there is no such a mission, I think. Are You making new missions? Or can we use only in skirmish ?
- I see a lot of wonderful ship ... how can I see them ? For instance the Shipyard Created by Warb Null. Where can I see it in the game ?
I checked the forum here, but I didn't find the answer. ( yeah ...I am afraid, the answers are obvious for everyone else... )

Once again, thanks for your effort!   

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:16 pm

Some systems have both an integrated graphics card (Intel) and a discrete graphics card (nVidia, AMD). Are you running the game with the discrete graphics card? What's your make and model?

Can you try running the game using Jeremy's ddraw (also in the downloads section)?

You can fly the TIE-Fighter on a skirmish mission or you can download one of the missions created by a number of people in the forums. There's also the TFTC project which should bring a lot of content as well.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:04 pm

gnadzon wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:27 pm
And here are a few (maybe dumb)  question:
- I saw some pic from different TIE fighter cockpit... but, how can I fly with a TIE ?! I played through the game, there is no such a mission, I think. Are You making new missions? Or can we use only in skirmish ?
- I see a lot of wonderful ship ... how can I see them ? For instance the Shipyard Created by Warb Null. Where can I see it in the game ?
I checked the forum here, but I didn't find the answer. ( yeah ...I am afraid, the answers are obvious for everyone else... )

Once again, thanks for your effort!   
You can only fly TIE Fighters in Skirmish mode. There is a custom project being made which will let you use them in missions.
You may have seen a video of a custom cockpit but that's not connected to the XWA Upgrade.
Also Dynamic Cockpits won't work until you can get the Effects to work.

The Shipyard isn't featured in the original XWA missions but can be used in Skirmish mode.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

gnadzon
Recruit

Post by gnadzon » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:09 pm

Update: I installed the game on a different laptop, I have some other error popup, but I was able to start the game! I basically went trough the list above, but I DID NOT install the new patch. I have the cockpit as I wanted, but now I have huge performance problems.

I am reading the topics for more info and I am trying to install the game and the XWAU files in different orders and variations.

Thaniks for Your answers again!

Regards

Gusztav

ps: it's off topic here, but I still don't find the forum/topics with new missions. I saw on you tube a mission on the Bespin ....
ps2: I just found MTD Industries!
ps3: ...but why is the REBCP section deactivated ? ... i know, too many questions

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:16 pm

gnadzon wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:09 pm
I basically went trough the list above, but I DID NOT install the new patch.
So you didn't install "XWAU Craft Pack v1.6: Patch v1.0"?
I have the cockpit as I wanted, but now I have huge performance problems.
See this thread: https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 36&t=12490

Also, if you want more help, we're going to need a few more details regarding your setup (GPU card, make and model, CPU) and probably some way to reproduce the problems you're seeing.