[Solved] Game crashes/cockpit inertia won't disable

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Solved] Game crashes/cockpit inertia won't disable

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:59 pm

Whenever I install the current version of the XWAUP Craft Pack (1.6) by itself, the game crashes when any models are loaded. I can't view them in the library, and can't fly any missions. Installing the Super Backdrops (3.0) fixes the crash, but cockpit inertia is enabled automatically. It's off at first during flight, but as soon as my ship gets hit, it activates. I have no way of disabling it as there's no option to in either installer, and to be honest, I hate it (no offense if you like it!!) Installing/uninstalling Blue Max's new effects doesn't work either, even when selecting the option to disable it. Help!!

MY PC SPECS

Intel Core i7-7700K
Nvidia GTX 1080
16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 RAM
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved issue
The ability to create 3D models is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:32 pm

I am not sure you're actually experimenting cockpit inertia since the backdrops don't enable that feature. But you can remove Hook_CockpitLook.dll to disable inertia in case it's on for some reason

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:06 am

There's no Hook_CockpitLook.dll.
The ability to create 3D models is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:52 am

Here's an example of the issue I'm experiencing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgYqusWeBFA

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:34 pm

Yeah, that looks like cockpit inertia, but that feature is implemented in Hook_CockpitLook.dll, so if you don't have that, then I don't know how this can be happening.

Anyway, the other thing you can try is opening CockpitLook.cfg and then set "cockpit_inertia_enabled = 0" and "external_inertia_enabled = 0". If you don't have that file either then do a fresh install of XWA, then add XWAUP 1.6. If you upgrade the hooks and start experiencing crashes, then install Jeremy's latest ddraw, but don't install the backdrops.

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:34 am

Fresh install of XWA with the latest ddraw worked! Don't know why I didn't try that before.

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:12 am

Upon a fresh install of XWA, after installing only the Craft Pack 1.6 along with Patch V. 1.0, the issue resurfaced! I think the issue is that the cockpit animation for when you take a hit is essentially 'stuck' at one point, and it won't reset itself to its neutral point. I don't know why it's happening.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:51 am

... and just to confirm, you still don't have a Hook_CockpitLook.dll file in your install directory, right? What ddraw version are you running? Have you tried using Jeremy's ddraw to see if the problem happens again?

Is there a consistent way to reproduce the problem?

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:07 pm

It happens on a fresh install of XWA and after installing the Craft Pack along with Patch 1.0. Again, I have no Hook_CockpitLook.dll in the install directory.

I actually think it has something to do with the animations, as they don't seem to be working right. I also have an issue where my ship doesn't lift off the ground in the hangar. The only way to start any Tour of Duty mission is to press the space bar twice to skip the animation. Aside from that, the cockpit 'jolt' when taking damage doesn't play properly. It gets stuck at the very beginning of the animation and doesn't progress. I don't think it's related to the cockpit inertia effect at all. Droids in the hangar move choppily, and all astromech droids' head animations are sped up drastically, along with the pilot's.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:17 pm

iteachvader wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:07 pm
It happens on a fresh install of XWA and after installing the Craft Pack along with Patch 1.0. Again, I have no Hook_CockpitLook.dll in the install directory.
Hook_CockpitLook.dll will not be in a XWAUCP or Patch v1.0 install. It is not one of Jeremy's normal Hooks.
It is only installed by Effects By BlueMax_v1.1.4 for example.
The hangar lag issues are also resolved by installing the Effects.

If all you have installed is the Craft Pack and Patch 1.0, then install Effects By BlueMax_v1.1.4 and the issues should be solved.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:21 pm

Installing Effects By BlueMax_v1.1.4 did not solve the issue... and it killed all text on my HUD. Now the cockpit jolt plays way too fast, and hangar lag is still present.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-ecI0DKDNs

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:00 am

iteachvader wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:21 pm
Installing Effects By BlueMax_v1.1.4 did not solve the issue... and it killed all text on my HUD. Now the cockpit jolt plays way too fast, and hangar lag is still present.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-ecI0DKDNs
You seem to have a number of issues here (sorry, looks like I missed your previous reply).

The hangar lag happens when the refresh rate on your monitor is too high and it may also have to do with the other issues you're experiencing (the game may be playing the jolt at a much higher rate). Try setting your monitor refresh rate to 60Hz and see if that helps. You can also try disabling hook_time.dll since that allows the game to run much faster.

You're also not using any of the effects, so, have you tried just installing XWAUP 1.6 from a plain vanilla install? Does the problem happen with that configuration? Then you can try the latest XWAUP patch + Jeremy's latest ddraw.

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:40 pm

Yeah, I have my monitor set to 144 Hz. I tested the game without the Blue Max effects at 60 and 144 Hz refresh rates, and it works fine at 60. Animations break at 144. I'm going to test it with the Blue Max effects installed shortly.

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:05 am

Even with my refresh rate set to 60 FPS, the Blue Max effects still kill all text on my HUD and even causes the game's frame pacing to take a serious hit. It now just chugs along choppily. After uninstalling, the game now suffers from serious, intermittent framerate drops. The framerate issue is only corrected on a fresh install, which I know from past experience. I've reinstalled the game at least five or six times now to fix it after installing the effects.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:21 am

I'm sorry the effects are causing you so much trouble. I can think of two reasons why the text is disappearing:

1. The Dynamic Cockpits are not installed properly.
2. You might be using a custom font and the font name is wrong.

For the first point, you can try opening "Dynamic_Cockpit.cfg" and setting "dynamic_cockpit_enabled = 0". If that brings back the text, then we know it's a Dynamic Cockpit problem and we can further troubleshoot that if you're interested.

For the second point, try opening "DDraw.cfg" and set "Text2DRendererEnabled = 0"

Or you may just avoid the effects altogether, of course.