Data loss.........

Where the bad guys get their gear! Check here for updates on the Blue Phantom Project or awesome new star destroyer designs!

Data loss.........

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:24 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
I just have installed my copy of Windows Vista. Now, after restoring all my backed up stuff it seems some of my files have gone lost during the transfer, as one of the folders doesn't seem to have been copied.

Unfortunately, among these are some of my model WIPs, including my recently showcased combat yacht thingie and, as I fear, my Super Star Destroyer.

I will see if I can get some of the models back from some older backups, but not everything will be restorable. :(
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Epic
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Epic » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:28 pm

:(
wana play xwa with others? join rsf clan <A HREF="http://www.rebelspecialforces.org" TARGET=_blank>http://www.rebelspecialforces.org</A> just post in xwing alliance red squdron forum

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:41 pm

<h1>NOOOOOOOO</h1><P>these were great, i feel sorry for you (you must have passed many hours on these, no?)
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:05 pm

Just a suggestion but you might try system restore. It can bring back lost files.
"I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours."

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:22 pm

the system restore only bring back the drivers and register to the last state registered, not the files....

Captain Needa
Galactic Empire

Post by Captain Needa » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:43 pm

If the files still are in the HD and -with tons of luck- weren't overwritten by the Vista installation process, try some data recovery software like Recover It All or Recover My Files <P> <A HREF="http://www.recovermyfiles.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.recovermyfiles.com/</A> <P> <A HREF="http://www.dtidata.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dtidata.com/</A><p>[ 27 January 2007: Message edited by: Captain Needa ]
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa"

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:58 pm

I doubt those will do - after moving them to my external HDD I removed them from the fixed Drive and, in advance to the eVista installations, deleted and reasembled my partitions. :(

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:30 pm

ouch that sucks

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:48 pm

You should start a Gmail account for backups. Poor GT. :( The SSD might not be that hard to get back to, but... the poor Yacht!

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:23 pm

i know what he feel, once i had a big research to make for school but it was erased, it took me 5 hour to complete it and i did'nt make a back-up, so i kinda know

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:05 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony Knightcrawler:<BR><STRONG>You should start a Gmail account for backups. Poor GT. :( The SSD might not be that hard to get back to, but... the poor Yacht!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually I do have a free account of unlimited webspace for data storage by my web.de club account..... meh!<P><BR>Nonetheless the <B>Battle over Coruscant</B> Shipset will be finished & released soon..... :D<p>[ 28 January 2007: Message edited by: General_Trageton ]

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:47 am

Vince, if you want me to model a section of the SSD for you, I will. I'm a lot faster at modeling than I am at UVmapping and texturing. Anyway you know like the engine block, turrets, etc..

VeritechCEO
Ensign

Post by VeritechCEO » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:24 am

I know how you feel Vince. I suffered 2 hard drive related problems last year and lost the work I had in both instances. Fortunatly it's a simple matter of taking the affected hard drive to a data retrieval place to get the data back in some or most, if not all, such hard drive cases.
What!?!? SDF-1 Destroyed the Death Star! We're out of here!
Veritech R&D Facility
The OPT Vault

craig_mac
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by craig_mac » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:36 am

you will still be able to recover the data, even after formatting and partitioning, i use a program calld getdataback ntfs which is fantastic<BR> <A HREF="http://www.runtime.org/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.runtime.org/</A>
craig mac

dugg
Galactic Empire

Post by dugg » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:18 am

That really, really sucks, Vince :( <P>Hope there is a way you can get some of your work back.
Dlya Slavi Bolshyevestskoy Empyeree!

Captain Needa
Galactic Empire

Post by Captain Needa » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:24 am

If you copied the files to your external HDD, they might still be there, labeled as "overwrittable". Try using some of the data recovery software on it, you can't lose for trying.
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa"

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:31 pm

Good news. I could restore the state of Oct. '05 from an old storage DVD. At least this is something.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:47 pm

Hi GT sorry to hear of the data loss, I know exactly how you feel, remember I nearly lost everything including the UCP, luckily with help from someone on here (can't remember who) and some data recovery software I manage to recover most of it from the damaged HD.<P>I hope you can recover most of it also, I know its upsetting and disheartening and you feel like giving it all up but don't, you'll recover and you'll carry on, you make some really expectional models far better than most of us do here.<P>You have aquired a skill a lot of people would be jealous of, so please carry on, put it behind you and make more back up's :)<P>A little poem by Rudyard Kipling<P><B>If</B><P>If you can keep your head when all about you<BR>Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;<BR>If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,<BR>But make allowance for their doubting too;<BR>If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,<BR>Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,<BR>Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,<BR>And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;<P>If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;<BR>If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;<BR>If you can meet with triumph and disaster<BR>And treat those two imposters just the same;<BR>If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken<BR>Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,<BR>Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,<BR>And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;<P>If you can make one heap of all your winnings<BR>And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,<BR>And lose, and start again at your beginnings<BR>And never breath a word about your loss;<BR>If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew<BR>To serve your turn long after they are gone,<BR>And so hold on when there is nothing in you<BR>Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";<P>If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,<BR>Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;<BR>If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;<BR>If all men count with you, but none too much;<BR>If you can fill the unforgiving minute<BR>With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -<BR>Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,<BR>And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:21 pm

Vince, if you still haven't recovered the SSD & Yacht files, try the GetDataBack program as Craig_Mac suggested. They have a trial version you can at least test on both drives. Don't give up.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:34 pm

Tried GDB and ran into 2 problems<P>1: it cannot connect to the external HDD over the USB connection. It just won't recognize it.<BR>2: I have only one partition, which is my system partition, where GDB is installed - i cannot operate gdb on this partition.<P><BR>Luckily, I found a (rather old) modelling attempt on an SSD. It's by far not as detailed and accurate as the one I lost, but it is more than nothing.<p>[ 28 January 2007: Message edited by: General_Trageton ]

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:56 pm

A pity GDB didn't work for you... :(<BR>I learned of it here, after Darksaber had problems as mentioned above... that little program proved to be very useful where I work...
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

ANDREW L
Rebel Alliance

Post by ANDREW L » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:51 pm

do you not have the drivers installed for the external?
<A HREF="http://jkdf2.net/jklex/" TARGET=_blank>JKLE</A><P>One of the last active JK and MotS clan<P><I>Legends return one last time</I>

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:56 pm

There was no need so far, Windows recognized it perfectly.

Kyle
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Kyle » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:27 am

GT,<P>Just over a month ago I had to replace my HD after the one that I had was starting to die in a very quick manner. We had hundreds of family photos on that thing, a host of lesson plans for my teaching job, and more; of course none of these files had been backed up. I spent hours on the phone with Dell, and every tech said that it was a hopeless cause trying to save the data, especially since I was running into an additional error because my User Account had a password assigned to it, and I couldn't enter that password through the failing system. <P>However, I tried something desperate and I slaved the old drive to the new one, and through a lot of weird manuevers I was able to retrieve the data that was "forever" lost. <P>And my heart was in my throat the entire time. <P>Needless to say, I have great sympathy for anyone caught up in such an awful experience, and I certainly wish you all the best. The few shots that I've seen of your SSD certainly evoked the epicness of such a vessel, and the enormity of the time and care that you were putting into it.<P>From witnessing all of your previous efforts, I have complete faith that whatever it is you tackle, that you'll acheive an admirable and successful end. <P>Yours,<P>Kyle<BR>Jan. 28, 2007
Contributor to numerous mods. Mostly unpublished. :( At least I'm trying! ;)

Cwagle the Jedi
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Cwagle the Jedi » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:46 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by General_Trageton:<BR>Tried GDB and ran into 2 problems<BR>1: it cannot connect to the external HDD over the USB connection. It just won't recognize it.<BR>2: I have only one partition, which is my system partition, where GDB is installed - i cannot operate gdb on this partition.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Try installing the Data Recovery software on a USB flash drive or your external HDD, then run it from there, as that would allow you to scan your system partition on your computer.<P>Also how is your external HDD formated?, is it FAT32 or NTFS?, I know that my external HDD is formated as FAT32 for Windows 98 compatibility, so it may be worth trying the FAT version of GDB on it.