WIP: early version of the X-Wing

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

WIP: early version of the X-Wing

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:59 am

Some years ago I've created the R-22 fighter (the prequel A-Wing fighter) using the original Concept Art of the A-Wing by Ralph Mcquarrie (...I will release an update for this fighter soon).

Now I'm working on Mcquarrie's concept art of the X-Wing to create the opt of the early version of the most famous Rebel fighter:

Analyzing all aviable physical models and pictures, I understand that it's very similar to Booster Terrik's heavily modified Z-95 Headhunter equipped with X-wing-style S-foils (Rogue Squadron: The Phantom Affair).

I suppose that the first X-Wing demonstration version could have been created by the Incom as modified Z-95. Starting from this idea, I'm working on both fighters: the Z-95 and the first X-Wing...

This WIP is only the last piece of a grater puzzle: my main project is the creation of a campaign ispired by the TV serie "Rebels", set between the planets Lothar and Bespin, 15 years after the creation of the Empire. Other WIPs will follow...

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:08 am

Nice work DTM, just a suggestion, use my x-wings wings as a template to get the correct angle so the wings close horizontally :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

DTM

Post by DTM » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:14 am

Already done, thaks! This Xwing will use the same hardpoints and cockpit coordinates of yours. Even the z95 will use the same values of the already existing one. It will be vary easy to switch from one version to the other...

Old_Jedi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Old_Jedi » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:57 am

DTM wrote:
I really look forward to that opt.

The lower picture, with the X-wing being chased by TIEs in front of the DS, is my favorite Star Wars image - I have a framed print from the original painting on my study wall.

Somewhere in the interweb I remember reading about a guy who made a model of that original version of the x-wing - I think it was a dxf, made from studying pictures and text - IIRC it was on a Star Wars or sci-fi computer modelling forum somewhere?

OJ

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:27 pm

DTM wrote: Analyzing all aviable physical models and pictures, I understand that it's very similar to Booster Terrik's heavily modified Z-95 Headhunter equipped with X-wing-style S-foils (Rogue Squadron: The Phantom Affair).

I suppose that the first X-Wing demonstration version could have been created by the Incom as modified Z-95. Starting from this idea, I'm working on both fighters: the Z-95 and the first X-Wing...
Well I'm pretty gosh darn hyped. This is pretty much my favourite ship to have tumbled out of the EU, and not for a moment did I think I'd ever see an XWA opt for it come out. Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out, DTM.

Also pretty excited about a new Z-95. Decoy's is a huge improvement over the TG version, but I've felt for a while it could be more accurate to some of the art that's come out for the Z-95 since. I remember someone came along a couple of years back with a more accurate version, but it never got anywhere past a slightly buggy base model that didn't see general release. Glad to see an old favourite getting some love.

Are you considering making use of the higher texture limit for this? Are we maybe going to get our first opt with higher res textures? Or are you going to keep it at the old limit for consistency?
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:23 pm

Darksaber wrote:Nice work DTM, just a suggestion, use my x-wings wings as a template to get the correct angle so the wings close horizontally :)
It's a shame that part of the EXE was never figured out, allowing addition of working S-foils to slots other than the X-wing, AND being able to tweak the positioning (based on the film models, the total spread between the wings should be about 32 degrees). It's especially noticeable on the updated Lambda shuttle that TG's wing travel isn't correct.

Looking good, DTM!

DTM

Post by DTM » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:08 pm

@WillT: something told me that this fighter can interest you... :wink:

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:42 pm

That campaign sounds awesome, I've been playing with a missions.lst cut and pasted together from the X-Wing missions, Roots of Rebellion and the Desperate Times(?) missions. or I was until my pc decided to revert the file back to an earlier version for some reason. Its weird. Anyway that campaign sounds right up my ally I can't wait to try it DTM!

DTM

Post by DTM » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:10 pm

Because of a virus I lost an entire HD containing the Rebels first campaign that I am creating. :explode: Fortunately WIP opt are saved! :D I just need a little 'encouragement to start over ...

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:37 pm

NIIICE Job!

As foro that Death star ... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MY.....!!! :shock:
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:52 pm

X-wings looking great mate :)

As for the Death Star, Wow!!! :D
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:56 pm

DTM............ NOW THAT'S WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT :-D :D :D Sorry for the excitement....the Death Star, in it's early stages, just that small portion looks awesome!!! Your X wing and Spyder's versions of Ralph McQuarrie's X wing, from his original drawing's looks fantastic...personally I think he is smiling.... ;)

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:27 pm

those x-wings look like the new ones from ep7. I wounder if they have done a reversal, using the original concept art as an evolution of the final model?

As for the Death Star, its about time someone made a new one.
Clever use of LOD might be usefull for the exaust port trench segment of the DS.

Trev

DTM

Post by DTM » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:50 am

My project for the Death Star: the opt is only a piece of the ball, which will be added to 8 times in the space: same coordinates, but with a different spin. Thanks to this trick, the Death Star will have a full dimeter of about 50 km and a good level of detail of the surface. Another opt complete the station with the interior tunnel and the main reactor.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:42 pm

How many Levels of Detail can XWA have anyway? Is it just 2 or can more be assigned?

Nice idea on seperate opts, never thought of that before, it would allow sectional LOD rather than global LOD.
The only problem is Opt slots, I guess it would need to be a Yavin Campaign only with the various other parts of the station (turrets etc)

Oh, whats your polly target? Little point in sacraficing too much detail with the machines people run with now.

There was once a shipset for yavin, was it ever complete?

Trev

DTM

Post by DTM » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:10 pm

There are only two levels of detail but I will not use LOD for the DS. For The DS surface I'm creating only one opt because I dont want to use more slots. I will use flightgroup colors to hide the laser disc with transparent structures. The opt will be placet 8 times to compose the ball. It's not a shipset. I used the same trick with Cloud City

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:38 am

The virus you got infected with DTM, was it Cryptolocker ?
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

DTM

Post by DTM » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:16 am

Yes, it was cryptolocker. I know it has become a very common virus. I suggest everyone to create back ups of important documents, like the personal foto, in separate hard drives. Fortunatly I did so!

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:23 pm

Yep, that fricking thing was expensive....too many customers I had to do a restore of their complete file server.

And worse : we had one that preferred to take charge of everything and did not do backups for more than a month....

For those that want one, a good free backup software is Veeam Endpoint Backup Free. they distribute it for free for personal usage
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:52 am

Looking great DTM. Regarding the Death Star... I've been wondering if it's possible to convert the last mission of this game to the battle of Yavin Death Star-1 trench run and it's huge surface, like the original X-Wing game by just replacing the .opt models used in Equipment0.lst file like the FlightModels\DSContainer.opt and others. Trial and guess approach. But there is a 99km's in any direction of a mission to work with. Problem is AlliED cannot currently read these background models as they are utillized in Battle 7 mission 4.tie. Its Mission Type / Hangar parameter is a "Death Star Run" so that some how triggers all of those interior DS-II rooms and corridors. Beyond the species table slot 221 and probably in a different table. Maybe Jeremy has a way to identify the index numbers of all .opt models as listed in the Equipment0.lst text file. But unless AlliED can be updated to map to all .opt models, it's pretty difficult.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:24 pm

Would that mean that a new death start could be made without nessesarelly using more opt slots?

Trev

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:29 pm

DTM wrote:Yes, it was cryptolocker. I know it has become a very common virus. I suggest everyone to create back ups of important documents, like the personal foto, in separate hard drives. Fortunatly I did so!
It's crap like that that make me glad I don't use windows as my primary work computer...Also backups, can never stress enough backups.

To heck with MSOffice!

DTM

Post by DTM » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:26 pm

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:31 pm

Goodness me, those (especially the Booster Z-95) are gorgeous.

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:14 am

Great job, DTM. :)