The Force Awakens: TRAILER #3

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: The Force Awakens: TRAILER #3

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:01 am

BattleDog wrote:I'm suspicious that everything we've seen, or a lot of it, because we know the New Republic existed at some point after TotJ and Jakku is basically a graveyard for a big chunk of the Imperial Fleet after NR forces handed them a straight up arse kicking.

Yet JJ tells us in Episode 7 we will have the "Resistance".

So for the books and films to be so far apart would be quite extraordinary, and even more so given that Admiral Ackbar is still alive.

We might all sit down in theatres in a week to discover it's NOTHING like we expected from the trailers.

The Resistance might be a group being funded by the NR to fight against TFO

One of the new source books came out with a new map of the galaxy, it uses basically the same layout as the old EU, and the planets are in the same places as well.

https://i.imgur.com/aX9MTH0.png

It doesn't have every planet in the new Canon, it was simplified for the book because it wasn't the focus.
Rakata Prime is also on there strangely enough, last I heard SWTOR/KOTOR is still in limbo. They get approval from LucasFilm but they keep saying they're not canon, LucasFilm doesn't really care because they're so far in the past.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:32 am

Interesting fact: If you lay an "old" starmap over this one, the planet of this starkiller base is at almost exactly the same Location as Illum, origin of the crystals used in lightsabers .....
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:01 pm

Ilum was in Clone Wars, so it is still canon. Probably just in the same sector.

Though you never know, it could be Ilum, the super weapon might be powered by all the crystals.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:37 am

Rakata Prime, Onderon, Nal Hutta, the majority of those planets are EU, actually.

I think what we'll see once this new film is out in a week is the publication of a number of source books and novels etc. which will rapidly establish a new backstory based largely on parts of the old EU which has been re-tooled to bit the films and each other better.

We haven't seen much yet because they want the film to come out first.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:01 am

Sounds reasonable to me. According to JJ the decision to ignore the current EU for the script was utter lack of time, as it would have taken the original author Michael Arndt far more time to familiarize with 30 years of SW lore than he had been given.

The other reason was that despite the community of dedicated fans (those of us who read the books & comics etc.) is yet only a fraction of the total number of star Wars enthusiasts and general movie goers. Tying it deeply within the existing lore would likely overwhelm those non-familiar with the canon lore and make the film more of a nice product rather than the worldwide recordbreaking blockbuster it's supposed to become.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:25 pm

We were talking about this today after D&D and I think that, honestly, the reason they ditched the Old EU is that it would have made a pretty poor film.

Unless you blank out part of the EU so that the films will make sense - but where to star then? Before the Vong, just after?

In the EU as of Legacy of the Force Han and Leia have three kids, two are dead and their daughter has married the leader of the Empire. Meanwhile, Luke is a widower with a teenaged son.

The ideal point to cut back to would be before the Thrawn Trilogy, when the Empire was still a great power in the galaxy and a credible threat. That's basically what they've done but they''ve inserted a 30-year cold war to allow the characters to be the same age as the actors.

Even so, I imagine we'll see the 30-year interval fleshed out in a way that integrates a lot of the old EU.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:40 pm

Yeah agreed, that sounds plausible.

Of course, the ultra-hardcore fans and hardliners are gonna bitch either way :D

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:21 pm

LESS THAN 23 HOURS!

Oh, God, I can't cope at all.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:28 pm

BattleDog wrote:LESS THAN 23 HOURS!

Oh, God, I can't cope at all.
Same.
Some colleagues of mine saw it already and they were totally blown away. Two independant sources whom I know both claimed it to be the best of the 7 .... tall order. Doesn't make the wait any easier...

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:19 pm

I'm seeing it in 3 hours

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:29 pm

Please NO spoilers from anyone or I'll ban there ass for a week!
Quote from another franchise: Don't Make Me Angry, You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:47 am

Vader is Luke's farher.
Leia is actually his sister.
And the Force, that's basically microscopic bacteria in your bloodstream.

There you have it. Plot twist spoiler! >D

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:35 am

What about the fact that YOU are Revan ? :D
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

DTM

Post by DTM » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:58 pm

I saw the movie on Wednesday , when it came out in Italian cinemas . I can say it is doing a lot to discuss . Some loved it , others hate it . I think JJ should have done something different .

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:58 pm

Alright I've seen it. I'm still trying to sort out my feelings and impressions. There are definitely a few things one can argue about, but one thing that I know for sure is that it felt strange and familiar from the beginning, something which the prequels had never managed to accomplish. It's like if you meed a dear childhood friend for the first time after 20 years - you both have greatly changed and yet discover that there are some unshakable familiarities, as if you had never been apart.This was Star Wars.

My pals and I agreed that we'll need to see it a second time for a final verdict but that alone is something none of the other films have ever achieved.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:46 am

This is a case where, after thinking over what I saw, I feel the similarities are actually a POSITIVE, and it's entirely because the formula followed by the original film, and thus Episode VII, is a formula that's integral to human mythology. Thus why the original Star Wars resonates so deeply and has become such a cultural phenomenon. Myth has always been an incredibly important, central aspect of Star Wars, and every generation has its own views on the same mythology, making it cyclic in nature.

That's one of the things I think Lucas lost sight of with the Prequels.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:58 am

Yeah, agreed. In the Prequels the Jedi soon lost their wow-factor firstly due to their utter omnipresence robbing themselves of anything special. It kinda felt like "Alright so hhere's a bunch of guys with super powers and the apparent gift of foresight who are yet oblivious to how they are being played and tricked."

Now with EP7 the whole thing, like you say, regained this mystical aspect, making force sensitive people something special not to be taken for granted. Corners of the galaxy where people don't even know the Force exists, which makes the whole scenario alot more interesting. Above that the film is littered with hommages to the old traits and even some nods back to the abolished EU or early concepts, which I found greatly pleasing.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:19 pm

To my surprise I thoroughly enjoyed it. The First Order is a worthy successor to the Empire, the characters were good and it looked spectacular.

I had some beefs with it (the superweapon) but other than that it was far and away better than the prequels.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Something I noticed as well in the German localized version is that they made the effort to call in all the original voice actors to portray the german synchronization for the veteran actors. I was especially amazed that they even got the old sync for C-3PO, for whom they had used a totally different voice actor during the prequel era. The only exception was Admiral Ackbar whose German voice actor had passed away some time ago.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:36 pm

I forgot to mention it, TFA made Mag Pulses canon again. :D

As an XWA player, that bit made me smile.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:04 pm

The didn't seem to make it clear whether it was a cannon or warhead, though

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:58 pm

Jaeven wrote:I forgot to mention it, TFA made Mag Pulses canon again. :D

As an XWA player, that bit made me smile.
Edited by Darksaber This Contains Spoilers, Highlight the page to see the text!

I said above No Spoilers please, if anyone posts any more spoilers I won't hesitate to ban you for a week!

Battledog you got away with it this time, next time you won't be so lucky!

This post no longer contains spoilers!

I'm sorry, I got carried away.

:ops:

So, anyway, I missed the Mag-Pulse thing.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:02 am

Is stuff from the Cross Section book but not from the movies considered spoilers? We have info on the New TIEs and Star Destroyer in there including weapons and and a little bit technical info.

Most of the info you can find on Wookieepedia right now, but they also have spoilers up from the film.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:48 am

Tuskin wrote:Is stuff from the Cross Section book but not from the movies considered spoilers? We have info on the New TIEs and Star Destroyer in there including weapons and and a little bit technical info.

Most of the info you can find on Wookieepedia right now, but they also have spoilers up from the film.
Any screens/images of the X-wing's cockpit in there? My concept for the E-wing I've been working on is to "reintroduce it" into the new canon, and I'd love to use the T-70 cockpit as a basis (lore: for facilitating transition between the ships).

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:51 am

The Saxman wrote:The didn't seem to make it clear whether it was a cannon or warhead, though
I'm fairly sure they were named as Mag Pulse warheads. Wookieepedia seems to list them as such as well.

The Cross Section book has lots of interesting stuff. Was very fascinating to read the differences between how the Empire and First Order operate in their Naval doctrine, especially their fighter corps.
BattleDog wrote:
So, anyway, I missed the Mag-Pulse thing.
Without going into spoilers, it's early in the movie. ;)