Mara Jade in Episode VII?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Mara Jade in Episode VII?

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:28 pm

As I tend to be in and out I may have missed if anyone posted this already, and I'm feeling lazy about searching, so here it is anyway:

Someone put this together last year, a collection of hints and rumors that suggest that Mara Jade may indeed not only be making it into the new continuity, but in Episode VII itself. Much of it is, of course, highly-circumstantial and not enough to draw any definitive conclusions, but it's incredibly interesting nonetheless.

Speculation: Will Mara Jade be in Star Wars: Episode 7?

I did a Google search for any sorts of update on this, but I'm not seeing anything more recent than late-2014. Notably, I'm not seeing anything that outright debunks it, either. Only the same statements we've been seeing since the film was first announced that Disney is not going to bind itself to the old Expanded Universe, which doesn't say they may pick and choose elements to reintroduce into the new continuity (come ooooooooon E-wings!) Then again Abrams and crew have been playing things VERY close to the vest about this film. Even this week's final trailer was remarkably unrevealing, and this is an era where trailers are spoiling major plot twists left and right.

Whether true or not, I'm going into Episode VII with a healthy dose of skepticism. I didn't like what Abrams did to Star Trek. Disney's decision to flood the franchise with not only Episodes VII-IX (and if those are successful, who knows about X-XII), but a host of spin-off films Avengers-style smacks of squeezing the last few drops of curdled milk from a dying cow. And most importantly: Once bitten, twice shy. I let myself get excited in 1999. Never again. I would rather come away pleasantly surprised than to face the soul-crushing disappointment again. If I ever put another Star Wars film other than the Despecialized Edition Blu-Rays in my player, Abrams has to EARN IT.

That being said, given Mara's significance to and impact on the Canon — not just the old Expanded Universe, which existed in its own nebulous state just outside the films, but to the ENTIRE FRANCHISE. She was, after all, only the second major female character after Leia — her inclusion in the new canon over-arching canon Disney is crafting would be a tremendous point in their favor.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:32 pm

According to Abrams, Disney has been hands off with Episode 7, letting them do what they want. Lawrance Kasdan is a writer on this film so I have some Hope, and Abrams is a Fan of Star Wars, unlike Star Trek where he only had a passing familiarity.

You got to remember, even though Disney owns LucasFilm, they're still some what independent, they make their own decisions have their own internal departments on canon and all that.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:44 pm

Actually, if you've been following anything Marvel Comics since the purchase it's very obvious that Disney is up to its elbows directing things. The various editors have outright acknowledged that Disney is who is really calling the shots, particularly as relates to the X-Men and Fantastic Four due to the film licensing deal.

Abrams can SAY Disney has been hands off, but what do you EXPECT him to say? It's business and politics, and he's not going to go around telling audiences, "Yeah, Disney has been interfering with the project from day one." That's how directors end up unemployed.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:56 pm

As much as I wish it were otherwise, I just can't see them making Mara or any of the other popular EU characters canon. The likes of Anakin, Jacen, Jaina Solo, Mara, Ben simply have too much baggage. I think Disney will give us those EU characters in new versions, but with different names.

For instance, Rey seems to be Jaina in all but name and backstory. I think that is the way they will "re-introduce" the old EU characters.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:16 am

Well, according to the blurb on "Aftermath" I read in the Bookshop the other day the New Repeublic is now canon, so I can certainly see a version of Mara Jade making it into the new film. That doesn't mean she'll be the "married to Luke with a Kid" version but everything outside the films has effectively been rebooted, so we may well see her.

As to the Solo Kids, they were by turns enjoyable, frustrating and just downright bad. Anakin was a built-in Mary Sue - Jacen was always straight laced and annoyingly whiny until he decided to do his face-heal turn. Jaina had some good moments in New Jedi Order and Legacy of the Force but I have to say I'm not hugely broken-hearted if they aren't canon any more.

The way I see it the old EU came to an end with Legacy of the Force anyway - more EU would not have been more of those characters.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:06 pm

One of the books teased us with a Thrawn sounding character (A genius Admiral with an appreciation of art) but I doubt it will be him.

The new 'canon' has quite a bit of EU elements in it, mostly backstories and names for minor characters with some details changed to fit the new canon.

For example Cornelius Evazan still has that name, and is still an 'evil' Doctor, but in the new canon he has been at it since the Republic Era, while his old backstory said he started during the Empire era.

Ponda Baba still rescues him from a bounty hunter like in the old EU.

I think everyone has that one character they want back. I for one want Kyle Katarn back, but I think he would be too similar to Kanan.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:50 pm

So, the Interdicter Cruiser and the Shantipole Project are canon now although the latter has been retconned to a crazy Mon Calamari on a hell planet.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:29 am

Can you even call it Project Shantipole, then?

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:09 am

That B-wing episode was just plain stupid to be quite frank. Maybe it's because I play SW flight sims, but the whole episode was mindblowing.

First, some random Mon Cal somewhere in the middle of nowhere has the capability to build a high performance heavy assault fighter? As if that wasn't enough, they further let this random guy in the middle of nowhere equip the B-wing with... what was that? A pocket superlaser? I mean, the thing destroyed an Imperial cruiser in one shot. Why did the rebels even bother using capital ships when they have those things? Get a squadron of those superlaser B-wings, drop them off from a frigate and watch as they utterly butcher any Star Destroyer fleet.

Just mindblowing. At least the Interdictor episode was cool.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:46 pm

Also - Black Sun are canon.

I'd be interested to see if the rest of Shadows of the Empire gets incorporated too.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:03 am

What they made to the project shantipole is just stupid

At least in the EU, it was the work of Calamari, multiple engineers working under severe constraint (Time, money and imperial threat) to give the rebels a weapon against Nebulon-B and Lancer Frigates after the imperial reaction after the battle of Yavin

Something to look up to

Not a mad Mon calamari on a hellhole planet
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:40 am

Probably the only the way s.w. fans are going to get (legacy) expanded universe concepts, in m/h/o, into current "Cannon" status, is through "Dave Florini" and his team directing the Rebels series---at least. He represents most of us, loyal, appreciates the past, and understands what the fan base likes in general while maintaining continuity to G.L.'s vision. He's great and he's already proven that by sprinkling certain examples of E.U. concepts starting with the Clone Wars animations. i.e. Z-95's, LadyLuck Yacht, Black Sun, now Interdictor cruiser etc. With G.L. gone, he might have a little more freedom , but Ms. Kennedy and Disney executives are probably frowning on that and other middle management. Plus licensing issues. Thrawn was a Timothy Zahn creation, so that presents monetary questions as well as other writers' works. Too bad all that talent and storylines aren't being directed by real life actors instead of cartoon animations etc. Like weekly Agents Of Shield episodes. Real actors. Anyway, he's our only hope for now. Would be nice to see the Victory-Class Star Destroyer put in there in a Rebel episode. :-)
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:36 pm

Bman wrote:Probably the only the way s.w. fans are going to get (legacy) expanded universe concepts, in m/h/o, into current "Cannon" status, is through "Dave Florini" and his team directing the Rebels series---at least. He represents most of us, loyal, appreciates the past, and understands what the fan base likes in general while maintaining continuity to G.L.'s vision. He's great and he's already proven that by sprinkling certain examples of E.U. concepts starting with the Clone Wars animations. i.e. Z-95's, LadyLuck Yacht, Black Sun, now Interdictor cruiser etc. With G.L. gone, he might have a little more freedom , but Ms. Kennedy and Disney executives are probably frowning on that and other middle management. Plus licensing issues. Thrawn was a Timothy Zahn creation, so that presents monetary questions as well as other writers' works. Too bad all that talent and storylines aren't being directed by real life actors instead of cartoon animations etc. Like weekly Agents Of Shield episodes. Real actors. Anyway, he's our only hope for now. Would be nice to see the Victory-Class Star Destroyer put in there in a Rebel episode. :-)
And he's the one who screwed up the origin of the B-wing. Just sayin'.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:37 pm

Bumping with some new information:

While not mentioned in this particular article, I did see a connected rumor at the time I posted this that suggested Thrawn would also be appearing in Rebels.

Well, guess who was just recently revealed to be appearing in Season 3?

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:08 pm

Wedge as well... I don't remember his now "Legends" backstory, in it was he an imperial pilot as well, like Bigs?
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:42 am

"... Season 3 ?" Grand Admiral Thrawn! Touche'. :-)
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:33 pm

For the uninitiated, the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmXp802sFgQ

A couple more notes:

Ezra is starting to look a lot like Starkiller.

Kanaan new look is much more "Jedi Master", he finally has the beard, and whilst his outfit doesn't really qualify as "robes" his shirt design is somewhat reminiscent.

We're looking at a significant time jump.

Y-Wings!

I saw droids that looked like Dark Troopers.

Also, a YT-2400.

Bringing in Thrawn more-or less as he was in the old EU shows they're really comitting to the promise to include parts of the old EU.

Bendu.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.